collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 579
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Raikkonen: We weren't fast enough  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Dare

Raikkonen: We weren't fast enough
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »

Ever notice reading what Kimi has to say is a lot more interesting
than we you actually hear him say it ;)

Kimi Raikkonen has lamented Lotus' lack of pace which prevented him - along with a mistake of his own - from winning the Bahrain GP.

Four races into his Formula One career, the Finn was back on the podium, finishing runner-up to Sebastian Vettel at the Sakhir circuit.

Raikkonen, though, was left to wonder about what could have been if only his one serious attempt to overtake Vettel had come off.

"I think we gave ourselves a chance but I'm disappointed I didn't manage to win it," he said.

"I made a small mistake at the beginning, lost one place to Ferrari, and I had to get that place back.

"In the end we were not fast enough to win.

"I got one chance to get past Sebastian but I chose the wrong side.

"That was the only chance really."

The Finn at least found something to be cheer about as Lotus achieved a ouble podium finish with team-mate Romain Grosjean in third as, unlike in China, the team made the right calls.

"At least we got on the podium with both cars.

"In the last race we failed and probably people thought we were a bit stupid.

"But it turned out to be the right direction and the team deserves what it has achieved today."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

David

Re: Raikkonen: We weren't fast enough
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »
I can't believe he isn't over the moon with a result like that.  :confused:

I know he sniffed victory, but he has done on his return to the sport what the boss (Shumi, in case anyone's in doubt) has't been close to doing.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »

I know he sniffed victory, but he has done on his return to the sport what the boss (Shumi, in case anyone's in doubt) has't been close to doing.

in 4 races too
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:50:25 PM »

To be fair to Schumi that Lotus has looked pretty tasty at the last couple of races.
Hell even Bigjean his teamate is running up the sharp end.  ;) I know Nico has just won in the Merc but it never looked on the pace today, or the whole of the last 2 years.  :D

Great drive from the Iceman today though.  :good: Thought bloody smarty pants Brundle was bang out of order saying on Sky that Kimi clearly had a faster car than Grosjean today.  :o  :nono:  I always thought the best measure of a driver was to beat your teamate, Kimi clearly did that today and then some. Perhaps Brundle just can't accept there are really gifted drivers out there - since he's not one.  :D 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:22:58 AM »
Outstanding result for Lotus in the 4th race of the season.
The Kimster has not lost a step in his time in rallying etc.
Nice to see Romain up there as well.

On another note, it appeared that David Coulthard and Ben Edwards were on different continents in regards to the sound quality BBC had with their respective mics. Or David was doing colour from the bottom or a well.
Rather annoying.
Anyone else notice that?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:30:40 AM »
Outstanding result for Lotus in the 4th race of the season.
The Kimster has not lost a step in his time in rallying etc.
Nice to see Romain up there as well.

On another note, it appeared that David Coulthard and Ben Edwards were on different continents in regards to the sound quality BBC had with their respective mics. Or David was doing colour from the bottom or a well.
Rather annoying.
Anyone else notice that?

i didn't have any problems with the audio this week.  last week I had that problem though.  The surround/stereo channel wasn't isolated correctly.  It might be a problem with the local signal broadcaster, not the on site production

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
Kimi has surprised me. He's done far better than I expected, certainly better than Schumi.

than we you actually hear him say it  ;)

If they ever make another Dick Tracy movie, Kimi would be the perfect choice to play Mumbles.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »
Kimi has surprised me. He's done far better than I expected, certainly better than Schumi.

than we you actually hear him say it  ;)

If they ever make another Dick Tracy movie, Kimi would be the perfect choice to play Mumbles.

BBC had a few of Kimi's in car radio comments.  He sounds alive and excited when in the car.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:42:11 PM »
It's true.  I get the impression he just has contempt for the press.  At the end he was friendly and coherent to the team when he said sorry, but he only really had one good chance to get Vettel and it didn't work out.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »
Kimi's certainly winning me over - I didn't think he'd cut it this year. It's a shame he has this taciturn nature when speaking to the press but I guess it's his way of dealing with it. Good to see him smiling and chatting to Seb in the background of the shot, after the win when they were being weighed. And young Romain - not bad. What a team Lotus are shaping up to be!

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
I'm far from being a Kimi fan, but he well deserved that place.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »
Even Ian says he deserved that place.. that says a lot about Kimi's drive to the almost winning position..

Seriously, to wrestle the way up, while you missed out Q3, and almost managed to stretch the runaway winner, who hardly made any mistake, does tell you a lot about the drive that you have produced..

Kimi is already a winner in this grand prix, whether statistics agree or not..and if he is not happy with the result, i guess that shows why he is almost challenging for the race win after only 4 races to his return...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 03:24:11 AM »
I like Kimi. How great to see a driver speak the truth: I gave it everything I had but we weren't fast enough. Didn't blame the team, said I made a mistake and we didn't quite have the combination. If by some miracle I were a great driver I would be the same way. I think he, like me, is just shy and uncomfortable among strangers. Oh, and I like ice cream too.  :good:
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:32 AM »
DO you enter ice-wagon races with the name "James Hunt " Lonny?? :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle