collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 613
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Suggestion for a new tyre rule  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Monty

Suggestion for a new tyre rule
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
I think that as a reward for getting into Q3 all the cars in the top 10 should be given an extra set of prime or option tyres.
This would stop the nonsense of cars not going out in Q3 and would make people try harder in Q2.

Discuss
 ;)

Online Jericoke

Re: Suggestion for a new tyre rule
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »
I like the rules about tire allotment.

It gives the cars in the midfield a slight advantage on race day.  An extra fresh set of tires might help them crack the top ten, and stop the race from being processional.

The FIA's goal wasn't to reward the top teams, but to provide spectacle for the viewer. 

My standing suggestion for qualifying is to let times stand over all sessions.  If your q3 time is slower than the top Q2 time, then you start further back.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »

My standing suggestion for qualifying is to let times stand over all sessions.  If your q3 time is slower than the top Q2 time, then you start further back.

It would probably create new strategies that might have teams who set a blistering time in Q1 not even bothering to come out in Q3.  I guess the best way to keep Q3 exciting is to have a minimum 3 timed laps per car, and if you don't do at least that many, they take your time from Q2, no matter how fast you go in Q3.

That said, it would seem more reasonable for a team with an outright quicker team starting higher up the grid.  Anyone know how often that has happened this year?  I have the impression that the absolute fastest times are usually set in Q3, but sometimes Q2 times are a bit slower than Q1.   :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »
Instead of giving them a new set of tires, why not we allow the teams change their tires while starting a race with mandatory use of the set with which the car has qualified for the grid...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:15:29 AM »
Much simpler would be to take away a set of new tires if they don't run. However I think a team should be allowed to choose to not run in favor of saving a set of tires. I think it's a much less effective strategy this year with the top teams so close.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Much simpler would be to take away a set of new tires if they don't run.

Brilliant solution.   :good: :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
Much simpler would be to take away a set of new tires if they don't run. However I think a team should be allowed to choose to not run in favor of saving a set of tires. I think it's a much less effective strategy this year with the top teams so close.

I think after Q2, most teams have a good idea if the front row is possible or not. 

The difference between 6 and 10 isn't so great that fresh set of tires wouldn't make it up.

I agree with the strategy of keeping those tires fresh instead of making an effort that is going to be fruitless.  I just don't think it makes for fun watching.  It's much simpler to say that a driver that doesn't set a Q3 time starts at the back of the field.

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »
Plus, when all is said and done, if you've spent a lot of money going to a GP weekend, you want to see cars going round the circuit, not sitting in the pits.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

vintly

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »
If you took away a set for not running in Q3, teams that would otherwise sit in the pits would simply pootle round in third gear for a lap, which would be awful to watch.

What if teams had ample sets of tyres for qualifying, and completely separate sets for the race? Then there'd be no faffing around trying to save tyres in quali.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
But Vintly with your suggestion it will only help the big teams, as it used to before this restricted rule, which helps the midfield and lower teams a lot to be more competitive..

I really like this tyre restriction regulation, which enables to put an end to the dominance of Micheal Schumacher/Ferrari domination..as it previously used to command the tyre performance with extensive testing, making a uneven playing field..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »

I think after Q2, most teams have a good idea if the front row is possible or not. 

The difference between 6 and 10 isn't so great that fresh set of tires wouldn't make it up.

I agree with the strategy of keeping those tires fresh instead of making an effort that is going to be fruitless.  I just don't think it makes for fun watching.  It's much simpler to say that a driver that doesn't set a Q3 time starts at the back of the field.

Adding to your idea Jeri of sending non Q3 runners backwards on the grid, why not impose a 105% rule, from pole time, in Q3 and anyone falling outside that takes a grid drop of 5 places? A three row grid drop should be enough to get their attention.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 02:51:07 AM »
Now that's interesting, of course it's possible the Q2 time will cover that. I honestly think the system we have now makes for the most interesting results. So far this year, saving a set of tires doesn't seem to offer the advantage it did last year.
Lonny

Offline hayleylsl

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »

Yep that's a great idea :-)  Perhaps you should contact Todt or Bernie :-)
"It's like riding a bicycle around your living room"

Nelson Piquet on the Monaco Grand Prix..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle