collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 464
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pirelli  (Read 6731 times)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Pirelli
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 08:51:33 PM »
Banning refueling forced teams to push to improve fuel efficiency, in the long run, makes the road going cars get improvement in this regard. So I am not adamant about the return of the refueling of cars, though it makes the race a lot interesting, but I guess Pirelli has spiced up enough, I am pretty happy with it...

I'm pretty sure that F1 stopped being a proving ground for road car technology years ago.

Other factors have lead to modern road cars becoming more fuel efficient.

F1 is trying to be relevant by letting the engine makers build engines relevant to consumers, but I've heard there's some resistance coming from some fans...  we don't watch other sports because they make our lives easier.  I don't see why car racing has to.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »
I agree Jeri, we don't see the sports to make our life easier, but improving fuel efficiency has come more of a like by-product.

And I totally disagree with you on the proving ground of technology issue, many cars still wears technologies invented and time tested on Formula One. Latest will be the KERS system which will be installed in the new Ferrari..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »
John Hindhaugh of Radio LeMans had an interesting idea. I heard it during their coverage onfthe 24 Hours of the Nürburgring over the week-end. He suggested giving each car a fixed amount of fuel for the race week-end, and adjust it according to the team's budget. The higher the budget, the less fuel for the week-end. Hindhaugh said that it "would force the richer teams to be more clever." He was talking about endurance racing, but it could apply just as well to F1. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea. It has good and bad points. Just thought I would toss it out for discussion.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 02:57:17 AM »
WEC years ago had a fuel limit that had contenders running out of fuel in the final laps. It was interesting to me to see the teams try to balance speed with economy, but the majority of fans complained, just as they are complaining now in F1, that the fastest cars were not winning. Mercedes built a turbo V8, low RPM, low boost, that produced good power at reasonable economy and won a championship or 2. It might fly again in WEC competition, but I doubt F1 fans would embrace it.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »

Selective weekend fuel limits are just another crazy idea to try to level the playing field, F1 has never been a level playing field because it has always pushed the limits rather than just settling for reliablity. After all F1 is the only series that insists on original chassis designs for each team.

Lonny your line "just as they are complaining now in F1, that the fastest cars were not winning" really sums up the anti Pirelli sentiment right now for me. F1 has always been about the fastest cars being able to perform to the maximum, whilst risking a DNF by doing so. Sure I know some drivers and teams have lucked into championships with better reliability rather than outright speed, but in the main the fastest cars have usually got the prizes.

These current Pirelli tyres have changed the F1 script somewhat, although they give the appearance of spicing up the racing I fear they only have that same effect of leveling the field as selectively limiting fuel. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »
Lonny & John have pointed out what might be the core of the discussion. Some fans are upset "that the fastest cars were not winning." Others think that it should be more about the best drivers, not just the fastest cars. Striking the proper balance between the two has always been tricky.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »
Lonny & John have pointed out what might be the core of the discussion. Some fans are upset "that the fastest cars were not winning." Others think that it should be more about the best drivers, not just the fastest cars. Striking the proper balance between the two has always been tricky.

Exactly.  I sit right in the middle too.  I love the car tech and innovations, but to see an already fast car driven by an exceptional driver is all that more enjoyable.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
I agree Jeri, we don't see the sports to make our life easier, but improving fuel efficiency has come more of a like by-product.

And I totally disagree with you on the proving ground of technology issue, many cars still wears technologies invented and time tested on Formula One. Latest will be the KERS system which will be installed in the new Ferrari..

I don't think technology in a 'super car' is really what they're talking about for trickle down.  Besides, the KERS system F1 uses doesn't make any sense for a road car.  The limits on the system are ridiculous, and if you develop to the rules (and why wouldn't you?), then you're making something impractical.

Toyota beat F1 to KERS by a decade.  If F1 wants to lead, then they need to unleash KERS.  Let Ferrari put a 1000hp electric motor in there and you'll see real practical innovation.

As for the tire situation... all motorsport is a team endeavour.  However most series feature cars that are basically identical, and the difference is the guy on the track, or a major mistake made by the pit crew.  In F1 there is room for strategy, room for dozens of individuals to be the difference maker.  I think the problem isn't the tires, but the lack of testing.  Teams don't get to be expert on the tires like they used to be.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle