collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 189
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is Maldonado right and drivers make the difference this year?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.

Or are tyres really dictating a teams pace at any given track?          
I'm sure Rosberg would have echoed Pastor's viewpoint (see the Autosport.com article below) shortly after his own maiden win in China, however after struggling in Bahrain and Spain any claim the driver plays a bigger role would seem hollow.

Pastor Maldonado believes that the driver plays a bigger part in the competitive equation under Formula 1's current regulations.

The Spanish Grand Prix winner, speaking at the Williams factory on Thursday, likened the current situation to the GP2 series, with more drivers and cars able to be competitive and nobody having a decisive advantage.

"It has become like a GP2 championship," said Maldonado. "The drivers can make the difference and the teams can still work on the strategy and the car.

"It's a bit boring when you see one car winning. The season is more competitive."

Maldonado added that despite criticism by the likes of Michael Schumacher and Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz about the tyres, it is still satisfying to win races under the current rules.

"The tyre degradation is quite big and it is true that you need to manage them," said Maldonado.

"This is part of the race and it's the same for everybody. There are no easy races. We need to adapt to the tyres, to the rules, to the car."

The Venezuelan added that the Williams team's understanding of the tyres played a key part in its success in Spain.

The way that he managed the rubber in the final stint in particular while under pressure from Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso was a decisive factor in his victory.

"The Pirellis are working quite well on our car at the moment," he said. "We have degradation, but it's the same for everybody.

"We've been working on the tyres. We built the car around the tyres and developed it around them.

"We understand very well how to do it [manage the tyres] especially on the driving [style] and the engineers managing the setup of the car."

Maldonado is confident that Williams could fight for further wins this season. He underlined that the team is getting stronger as the season goes on, although it's difficult to predict anything because of how rapidly the competitive order is changing.

"We will do our best," said Maldonado when asked if he could win again. "All of the teams are so close, the championship is so close and the gaps are close as well.

"But we are getting better every time. At the moment, we don't have the quickest car on the track but we are doing our best.

"Why not [win again]? But Formula 1 is changing all of the time. It's going to be difficult."

By Edd Straw, Autosport.com, Thurs 17th May.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:52:47 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Is Maldonado right and drivers make the difference this year?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »
Something really strange is going on if the Williams is so competitive this year.  Perhaps they have really come up with something that is easier on the tires than the other teams have found.  I hope he's right and this wasn't a one-off.  I am happy when a mid field team (sad to have to say that about Williams) can break on to the top step at least once a season.  I hope others will too.  :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »
Something really strange is going on if the Williams is so competitive this year.  Perhaps they have really come up with something that is easier on the tires than the other teams have found.  I hope he's right and this wasn't a one-off.  I am happy when a mid field team (sad to have to say that about Williams) can break on to the top step at least once a season.  I hope others will too.  :good:

I bet Rueben's is saying it's because of his testing.It's a shame
RB did all the work and Pastor get's all the credit ::)
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:15:57 AM »
Lol...or maybe it's because Rubens is gone, along with his crap data.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »
Perhaps Rubens was the heap that made the cars slower, because of his VAST experience it was too much for the team. SO in this season, with lighter car they are putting a nice show, Just Bruno breaking early causing a bi of stir...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
It's certainly tough to say what it takes to win in 2012 in F1.  Different rules, different tracks, different drivers have all combined to create a spectacle that simply doesn't fit into how we understand F1.

I think there's a lot of luck at play here, having the right car for the right track would explain why winners can finish out of the points next race.

However, Maldonado has a point.  Have we ever seen such a spread between teammates as we have this year?  Maldonado vs Senna?  Rosberg vs Schumacher?  Alonso vs. Massa?  Luck certainly plays a factor, but there seems to be more room for skill than there has been recently. 

(5 of the top 6 drivers are recent champions.  If Maldonado is right, that makes sense.)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:14:29 PM »
I agree with Pastor. I think the tire situation is posing a much wider test of the drivers' skill sets.  :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 03:40:14 AM »
I think it's clear that no team has found "THE" design for these rules. Plus each race has had a different combination of abrasiveness, temperature, humidity, etc that affect how the cars aero packages work. Having a driver who can give good feedback is essential. It's odd to see Jenson struggling for that reason. Most "experts" think that if you do well in Spain, you should do well at most of the other European tracks. That should bode well for Williams. I think you can credit the new (to them) Renault engine package for some of their success.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
I think you can credit the new (to them) Renault engine package for some of their success.

I don't.  :P   ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:47:55 AM »
Cosworth's problem was never the engine itself or the power, it was the transmission. I think the Williams package includes the R/b or Renault (Lotus) tranny, which seems to be an improvement. I love Cosworth as well, the original DFV was one of the finest designs ever.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »
I agree with Lonny..

Cosworth was having some reliability issue, which made it difficult for teams to keep using them, specially after regulation which strictly requires longer racing-life..

Don't worry cos.. They will be back...WITH A BANG.....
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle