collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 605
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 circuits join forces to have more influence  (Read 2168 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
F1 circuits join forces to have more influence
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »

Formula One Promoters Association born to gain say on Concorde & rules.     
Let's hope FOPA doesn't turn into it's namesake 'Faux Pas', :D can't see Mr Ecclestone or Mr Todt being overly happy with another group flexing their muscles.
Good luck to the promoters though, :good: about time someone took more of an interest in the actual venue and racegoers point of view.

Formula one's circuits have created a union designed to give them a greater say on the future of the sport, according to business journalist Christian Sylt.

He revealed in the Independent newspaper that the Formula One Promoters Association, created in May, is chaired by Australian grand prix chief Ron Walker.

Last year, it emerged that - led by Walker - F1's race promoters were threatening to switch to Indycar because the new six cylinder engines in 2014 will not be loud enough.

Now, Silverstone chairman Neil England has confirmed the founding of the F1 circuits' union.

"We have historically lacked a coordinated voice and the formula one promoters association gives us the opportunity to have that.

"There are a number of matters of common interest and I think it is important that those are voiced," he said.

The formation of the circuits' union coincides with the negotiations over the next Concorde Agreement.

"The circuits' desire to have a say in (the technical regulations) is the driving force behind their decision to unite," said journalist Sylt.

Union chairman Ron Walker confirmed: "The circuits are concerned by the constant changing of rules by the FIA which is confusing the fans and affecting ticket sales."

He revealed that a survey in March showed that 92 per cent of the spectators at Albert Park this year did not understand F1's latest rules.

OneStopStrategy.com, Today.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:56:42 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: F1 circuits join forces to have more influence
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
'bout time.  Bernie will have a much harder time blackmailing individual tracks if they all stick together.  :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:27:56 PM »
I hope it works, but Bernie is the master of divide-and-conquer tactics.

He revealed that a survey in March showed that 92 per cent of the spectators at Albert Park this year did not understand F1's latest rules.

98% of the team members don't understand the rules, by the looks of things.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »
I hope it works, but Bernie is the master of divide-and-conquer tactics.

98% of the team members don't understand the rules, by the looks of things.

And the other 2% of team members, and Charlie - if the green light for the floor holes is anything to go on, choose not to. :D 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »

Last year, it emerged that - led by Walker - F1's race promoters were threatening to switch to Indycar because the new six cylinder engines in 2014 will not be loud enough.

Um... maybe they need to turn on an IndyCar race before saying such things?

I don't agree with tracks running a series, but I've only seen it happen once, so maybe that one time was wrong, and there's a better way to to it?

I guess it makes sense for FOPA to provide a united voice, but the room is getting mighty crowded with FIA, FOM, FOTA already with their own agendas.  Also, doesn't Bernie own a track?  Doesn't that put him in FOPA and FOM?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 02:50:41 AM »
I hope it helps, the venues get the short end of the stick every time. But Bernie will be happy to take the races elsewhere. In fact he would probably prefer it.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
I hope it helps, the venues get the short end of the stick every time. But Bernie will be happy to take the races elsewhere. In fact he would probably prefer it.

Bernie's quickly running out of 'elsewheres'.  I think that's what FOPA is noticing. 

Bernie's going to need a new trick to jack up fees.  (I suspect he might get into track ownership though.  If he owns the tracks and the commercial rights... what does he need FIA or FOTA for?)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »

Bernie's quickly running out of 'elsewheres'.  I think that's what FOPA is noticing. 

Bernie's going to need a new trick to jack up fees.  (I suspect he might get into track ownership though.  If he owns the tracks and the commercial rights... what does he need FIA or FOTA for?)

I think the EU would put the mockers on that idea, they forced the seperation of the rule maker, the FIA, from the commercial rights holder. They would be sure to investigate FOM, or an associated company, buying up or opening tracks to take on  F1 races, they're red hot on anticompetetive activity in Europe - especially around sport and media interests.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 01:50:08 AM »

Bernie is in some stage of negotiation with 2 US races, Greek representatives, French, Russians, South Africans, Argentinians, etc. Even if most of these are pie in the sky, there is plenty of interest outside the current venues.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »

I think the EU would put the mockers on that idea, they forced the seperation of the rule maker, the FIA, from the commercial rights holder. They would be sure to investigate FOM, or an associated company, buying up or opening tracks to take on  F1 races, they're red hot on anticompetetive activity in Europe - especially around sport and media interests.

Really?  I don't want to get into some sort of geo-economic debate here, but what's wrong with a vertically integrated racing series? 

(I mean, there's always room for abuse, but there's plenty of room for abuse now too.  In fact, I should think that workers at European tracks must live in fear that their government might just give up supporting Bernie's fees.  If Bernie owns Spa and Monza, then they've got some guaranteed business, and not at tax payer's expense.)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »
Bernie is in some stage of negotiation with 2 US races, Greek representatives, French, Russians, South Africans, Argentinians, etc. Even if most of these are pie in the sky, there is plenty of interest outside the current venues.

Really?  Greece?  Does anyone there read the newspapers?   :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
but what's wrong with a vertically integrated racing series?

Here's an example. For decades, the NHRA held one of it's National Championship races at National Trail Raceway just north of me. It always had a huge turnout. Than the NHRA bought the track. Almost immediately, they moved the race to Norwalk Raceway, up in the Cleveland/Akron area. It had been part of the IHRA circuit. Since the NHRA now had Trails under lock & key, they used the race to poach Norwalk from the rival series.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
but what's wrong with a vertically integrated racing series?

Here's an example. For decades, the NHRA held one of it's National Championship races at National Trail Raceway just north of me. It always had a huge turnout. Than the NHRA bought the track. Almost immediately, they moved the race to Norwalk Raceway, up in the Cleveland/Akron area. It had been part of the IHRA circuit. Since the NHRA now had Trails under lock & key, they used the race to poach Norwalk from the rival series.

Ah yes, the GM method of doing business; if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.  Recently adopted by Microsoft and Facebook.

That sounds like Bernie to me.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 02:55:52 AM »

It is serious enough that Bernie is going there for a preliminary look at the proposed site. At the moment funding is through a Greek billionaire or two.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 09:04:14 AM »

It is serious enough that Bernie is going there for a preliminary look at the proposed site. At the moment funding is through a Greek billionaire or two.

So they will be paying him with untaxed money then, just what he likes.  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle