collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 379
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Villeneuve not impressed with current 'daddy's boy' drivers  (Read 2073 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.

Some treat F1 like video game and just get in way, is he right?     
I know this will likely re-ignite the Schumi/Senna incident, but have most of the pilots of F1 cars become too complacent about the real dangers in motorsport?

Villeneuve turned his attention to the current crop of young drivers who he described as 'daddy's boys' who have paid their way into the sport, resulting in a lack of respect for other drivers.

"They all think it's a video game and it's not. It is very, very dangerous and it's tough," he continued.

"When you see Bruno Senna in Barcelona, he is not in the same race, he is going appallingly slow and he is blocking guys who are fighting for the points. That is just not intelligent driving for starters.

"I think in the years when F1 was dangerous, 20 or 30 years ago, the risk of dying was very high so the drivers just didn’t do that to each other. There was that extra respect, there was common sense and also there was a bunch of drivers who worked hard to get into racing.

"They weren't racers at 12 years old being told all their life that the financing was there in place for them to race, they had to sweat for it, they weren’t little daddy’s boys like you have now basically.

"So they are driving F1 and they are still children, they are still babies and they are kept like that."

By Ryan Wood f1times.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

Re: Villeneuve not impressed with current 'daddy's boy' drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »
I have to agree with him about Senna I have never rated him and he is living off uncles memory, I doubt he will last the season.
Just my opinion.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
Jacques was certainly a talent, but I'm pretty sure he rode his Daddy's name and money into the sport.  More shameful I think than Senna and Perez and guys who have backing is someone like JV, who in my mind was the Bernie of drivers, who tries to rape whatever he can from the team he created.   :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
Jacques was certainly a talent, but I'm pretty sure he rode his Daddy's name and money into the sport.  More shameful I think than Senna and Perez and guys who have backing is someone like JV, who in my mind was the Bernie of drivers, who tries to rape whatever he can from the team he created.   :DntKnw:

Villeneuve might have opened doors on his father's name, but Gilles didn't have any savings for the family.  Jacques worked in a garage to earn money for his karting.  Jaques raced in the North American feeder series and worked his way up to winning the Indy 500 (the last truly world class Indy 500). 

I'm sure his name helped along the way, but he was already an established name in top tier racing before entering F1.

As for him milking BAR... it doesn't look like Ferrari took care of Gilles' family (I may be wrong), so he wasn't about to risk his life without leaving anything for his family.  He might have been wrong, but when a little boy loses his father, that's wrong too.  F1 owed Jacques, and he collected.

As for his point about safety... F1 is a million times safer than when he ran  (wasn't one of the last deaths in F1 a marshall who died when struck by one of Villeneuve's tires after a crash?).  Yes, the young racers are going to feel immortal, but it's hard not to without having to endure a serious crash.  Senna probably didn't even break a nail when Schumacher hit him.  Why should he worry about his, or anyone else's life on the track?  Or look at Kubica, after his big F1 crash he came back better than ever, once he realised that he wasn't going to die in an F1 car.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »
Never read he had to work a day in his life (sure you weren't reading about Gilles?). He went to private Swiss boarding schools, hung out in one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world during his breaks (where he met Craig Pollock, who was his ski instructor).  And growing up in Monaco costs money.  

If his family was not very well off, there are hundreds of places in France or back in Quebec where they could have lived as kings for the same amount it would cost to have a small apartment in Monaco and all the other expenses.

I doubt he is warped enough to believe that because his father was killed when JV was 7 in an F1 race that he is owed anything from the sport, but if that's why he paid himself enough money to put himself at 2nd on todays income grid from a team he built with other people's money, then I have even less respect for him.  He gave himself Schumacher money without putting the Schumi effort, leadership or devotion into a team he could have turned into...?  Shame on him.  I also don't think he did it for family, because he doesn't seem to be heading in a family kind of direction.  

Not a fan of JV.  Loved him in CART and his first couple of years in F1.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:13:44 PM by scott »

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
Never read he had to work a day in his life (sure you weren't reading about Gilles?). He went to private Swiss boarding schools, hung out in one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world during his breaks (where he met Craig Pollock, who was his ski instructor).  And growing up in Monaco costs money.  

If his family was not very well off, there are hundreds of places in France or back in Quebec where they could have lived as kings for the same amount it would cost to have a small apartment in Monaco and all the other expenses.

I doubt he is warped enough to believe that because his father was killed when JV was 7 in an F1 race that he is owed anything from the sport, but if that's why he paid himself enough money to put himself at 2nd on todays income grid from a team he built with other people's money, then I have even less respect for him.  He gave himself Schumacher money without putting the Schumi effort, leadership or devotion into a team he could have turned into...?  Shame on him.  I also don't think he did it for family, because he doesn't seem to be heading in a family kind of direction.  

Not a fan of JV.  Loved him in CART and his first couple of years in F1.

Perhaps it was Gilles, or even Jacques Sr.  I can't find the reference I'm thinking of at all.

I certainly was disappointed that BAR never got on track with him there.  I suppose he does share the blame.  It's not as easy to do what Schumacher did as it looks.

Online Dare

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 12:42:08 AM »
Damon Hill seems to have worked his way into F1the hard way.
From what I remember when Graham's airplane crash and the lawsuits
afterwards left the Hill family in a bad way
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:10:52 AM »
The great battle of second generation F1 racers, whether they got a easy way pass through the difficult field or they were supported enough to pursuit their racing career, or they had a free pass to use their names and connections.

But anyway they were champions..and there were many others who could not made this far.. hats off to them, and I don't mind when they take a sweeping at the young crop...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

David

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »
Canadian GP is one of my favs, only down side, we have to listen to Villeneuve make some headline grabbing comment. What a plonker!

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 10:06:37 AM »
Actually, for a change I like what he had to say.  The demonstrators have lost their direction and are only demonstrating for the sake of demonstrating now.  It is really an embarrassment to Canada.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle