collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 346
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Red Bull fall foul of tech regs again  (Read 2062 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Red Bull fall foul of tech regs again
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:58:02 PM »

FIA says brake cooling ducts illegal, but have been on car since first race.  :swoon:       
Just how long does it take FIA to spot contraventions, and will this now cause a protest from another team? Seems that Red Bull can get away with quite a lot, is it any wonder their bendy front wings went most of last season without sanction.  ::) 

Red Bull has apparently been ordered to change the design of its brake cooling ducts after the FIA found them to contravene the technical regulations.

The news comes just days after the outfit was forced to change its floor design which featured two small holes ahead of the front wheels, which the governing body also agreed were against the regulations.

It's reported that the cooling system within the brakes and wheel hub are being used as an aerodynamic aid, rather the purely to cool the brakes.

The system has been in place on the RB8 since the first race.

According to the report, Red Bull argued that the air flow being channelled through the cooling system within the brakes was purely for cooling purposes.

However the FIA counter-argued that because the rim, hub and bolt move, they're not classed as 'immobile in relation to the car' and therefore any use as aerodynamic aids contravenes regulation 3.15.

A quick fix is likely in Canada, with the team able to close off the offending holes, but a redesign is necessary prior to the European Grand Prix.

by Ryan Wood, TheF1times.com, Sat 9th June.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Red Bull fall foul of tech regs again
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:24:21 AM »
It is a dream of mine that the FIA will drag itself into the 21ST century and determine whether or not a car is legal during tech inspection before the first race. After it will only need to check updated parts. What they do now is laughably amateurish.
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:46:47 PM »
Newey's designs have always pushed the rules to the limit. I wonder if the FIA are finding all of these infractions on their own, or responding to complaints from other teams.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »
Newey's designs have always pushed the rules to the limit. I wonder if the FIA are finding all of these infractions on their own, or responding to complaints from other teams.

Indeed, I suspect the amount of work to determine if Adrian's various designs are 'illegal' takes plenty of time.  He spent months testing them in wind tunnels and computer simulations.  Without doing the tests themselves, the FIA can't just look at one part of a complex machine and see if it violates the rules.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
If NASCAR suspects you are cheating with your Aero, they confiscate your car and stick it in their own wind tunnel. Wonder how that would go over in F1?  :DD
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »
If NASCAR suspects you are cheating with your Aero, they confiscate your car and stick it in their own wind tunnel. Wonder how that would go over in F1?  :DD

That's what I feel F1 should do.

In fact, I think that F1's rules shouldn't focus on individual parts, but rather ensure that the car forms a specific 'wake' through the air.  Then you can pop the car into a wind tunnel, pop it on a scale, and be done with it.

It might not be possible to rig up a full blown wind tunnel trackside, but surely a simple one could be devised to see if further testing is needed?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:22 PM »
Much of this would be eliminated if they would allow the return of ground effects designs. They were originally banned because the FIA thought they raised cornering speeds too high. Now however, they achieve similar levels of down force with other means and because the focal points are at the ends of the car, it is difficult to balance the car, difficult to pass without things like DRS. and losing the effect at either end can pitch the car off the track just as suddenly as loss of GE can. Personally I think they should allow only small trimtab type wings and no diffusers or any thing like that. The aero effect should be reduced to almost nil so that chassis and suspension design comes back to the fore.
Lonny

vintly

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »

Indeed, I suspect the amount of work to determine if Adrian's various designs are 'illegal' takes plenty of time.  He spent months testing them in wind tunnels and computer simulations. 

It's almost a back-handed compliment to be pulled up for something subsequently 'illegal'.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle