collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 347
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kobayashi and Verne  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Ian

Kobayashi and Verne
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Ian

Re: Kobayashi and Verne
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Maldonado may have been technically at fault, but I think Hamilton was dumb to not let him go. To risk a collision so late in the race was not smart championship thinking. I'm sure Louis will totally blame Pastor, but a bit of discretion probably would have netted a 4TH rather than a DNF. As Hobbs said, you have to give a bit of room on a street circuit.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:06:27 PM »

I agree with the first two, in fact I thought Vergne might have got a full race exclusion for the next race for his childish move over on Heikki.

However I can't see the justification of Pastor's penalty.  :nono: Their reasoning, 'failing to rejoin the track in a safe manner', looks a bit hollow, after all he was forced out there by Lewis who would have done better to have left him room and let him go. I'm pretty sure pastor had his front wheels ahead of Lewis at the start of that right/left section, so whatever happened to the rule giving the other car a width on track after he has got alongside, or even slightly ahead? For me racing incident at best, but Lewis chucked away some points stupidly. ::)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:08:16 PM »
People, are serious? 20 second penalty for Pastor? After what he did? Can't they understand they have to penalize heavily this south american hot head? Otherwise he will ruin more races for people, and let alone his own. He needs to understand the word limitation, and if he can't he must be forced to do so.

People should not suffer for his stupidity...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »
People, are serious? 20 second penalty for Pastor? After what he did? Can't they understand they have to penalize heavily this south American hot head? Otherwise he will ruin more races for people, and let alone his own. He needs to understand the word limitation, and if he can't he must be forced to do so.

Sorry F1fan but Lewis played hardball when discretion was the best course, so it's lame to accuse only Pastor of hardball. Plenty of times earlier in his career Lewis has executed similar moves to Pastor's today, some have come off and others have ended like this one did.

Finding just how far the limits go is a part of what the best racing drivers must do, you can usually teach really fast drivers to stop crashing - whilst it's almost impossible to teach safer drivers to gain a lot of speed.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
Totally agree. Both drivers are in for some blame here, but Louis had the most to lose and he's the one who ran Pastor off the track trying to defend when he had virtually no chance of holding him off to the end of the race.
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
Of the three major incidents (Kobayashi, Vergne and Maldonado), I think Vergne was the least culpable. It looks like the rear end just got away from him when he fired the DRS coming out of the turn. Even Kovalainen labeled the moment a 'rookie error'. Vergne quickly apologized to Kovy and took responsibility. Yet he gets by far the most Draconian penalty. The FIA in action once again.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 02:36:03 AM »
The FIA has improved their rules enforcement, but not much. It is still far less professional than almost any American racing series. They should appoint a group of Stewards to oversee ALL the races. That would be a first step toward consistency.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
Of the three major incidents (Kobayashi, Vergne and Maldonado), I think Vergne was the least culpable. It looks like the rear end just got away from him when he fired the DRS coming out of the turn. Even Kovalainen labeled the moment a 'rookie error'. Vergne quickly apologized to Kovy and took responsibility. Yet he gets by far the most Draconian penalty. The FIA in action once again.

It can be interpreted as a simple mistake, however it can be interpreted as a cynical intimidatory move either to stop Heikki coming back at him down the inside of the corner, or even payback to Heikki for something Vergne believes was done to him.

There was no need for Vergne to move over until he was well past, this was not a heated battle for a podium spot at a tight part of the circuit but a straight forward run past with acres of space available. If you can't drive round another car without incident on an open track at this level of motorsport you shouldn't be there.

The stewards appear to have have judged this as Vergne pulling a naughty boy act, otherwise why give the double penalty, :good: I still think it should be an exclusion from the next race.

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »
People, are serious? 20 second penalty for Pastor? After what he did? Can't they understand they have to penalize heavily this south American hot head? Otherwise he will ruin more races for people, and let alone his own. He needs to understand the word limitation, and if he can't he must be forced to do so.

I could not agree more!
I keep finding myself defending Hamilton and I'm not even a fan!
Hamilton was in front, it is up to Maldonado to make a safe overtake.
He decided to overtake in a crazy place because he knew he could simply use the tarmac run-off area. If that area had been gravel he would not have tried.
Hamilton took the normal line around the corner. He was under no obligation to 'give Maldonado room'. Maldonado ran off the track and then came back on the track and straight into Hamilton. It was 100% Maldonado's fault. The guy is crazy and dangerous. The stupid thing is that Maldonado could have used DRS and easily passed Hamilton later in the lap. I think the penalty was far too lenient. He finished Hamilton's race and robbed him of good Championship points.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:21:23 PM »
Thank you Monty, could not have said better myself. But for some reason FIA marshals are not very strict with Pastor. After shunting Perez in FP (Have you ever heard of shunting someone in FP) and this incident with Lewis, what else do you need to ban Pastor for at least one grand prix?

There is a line between risk and stupidity. Lewis pushed it to the risk, and he had every right to do what he did, held his line, while our Mad man Maldonado being as always stupid, simply used the run-off area to bang Lewis.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle