collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 387
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes pushing for F1 bribery investigation  (Read 1721 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Mercedes pushing for F1 bribery investigation
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »

Will Bernie regret giving Merc cold shoulder on board seat & Concorde?  
Mr Eccelstone always likes to use opponents weaknesses against them, especially with large slow decision making corporations, are we set for payback to begin under the guise of proper corporate responsibilities?
Oh! - and will we see the one hit wonder, BrawnGP, return to the grid once again? ;)

Daimler-Benz, The Mercedes F1 team's owners, have reportedly demanded a 'full investigation' into the F1 sale bribery case, which could result in the company leaving the sport.

Having been found guilty of taking nearly $44 million in bribes and failing to pay tax on the money, former banker Gerhard Gribkowsky was on Wednesday jailed for eight and a half years by a Munich court.

The charges related to his part in the sale of Formula One rights from German bank BayernLB to CVC, in which he allegedly received cash bribes from Bernie Ecclestone.

And although Ecclestone faces no charges and denies having bribed Gribkowsky, the Daimler Group have reportedly demanded an investigation into the events.

According to Handelsblatt newspaper, Daimler "does not tolerate the immoral or corrupt practices of its employees or its business partners."

The paper added that there could be "serious consequences" that could include Daimler, and therefore Mercedes, withdrawing from Formula One.

PlanetF1.com, Today.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:46:04 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Mercedes pushing for F1 bribery investigation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:52:07 AM »
Is it really revenge against Bernie, or is Merc playing a wild card that would allow them to bail from F1 for moral reasons if they find F1 not providing much value to them in the end?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »
I don't think Mercedes wants to back out from F1, rather I agree with this fact they are pushing for a privilege in the Concorde agreement. If they fail to achieve the goal, they will held their head high saying they are backing off the sports. What I am really concerned if that happens is that, Mclaren and Force India as well as Mercedes itself, there teams will be out of engine supplier, for Mclaren I am most concerned.

I don't want Mercedes to leave the sports, I want Bernie to rot for his money-sharking of this sports, but my wishes no significance to the decisions that are going to be make over the few months of time.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
What I am really concerned if that happens is that, Mclaren and Force India as well as Mercedes itself, there teams will be out of engine supplier, for Mclaren I am most concerned.
I thought Mclaren already said they were going to look at other engine suppliers (as well) once their last contract runs out with Merc.  Renault seems to be doing a decent job of providing engines now that they don't have to worry about all the other headaches of an F1 team.  Besides, if Mercedes leaves F1, they could very well still provide engines, and if they don't even do that, there will always be another manufacturer ready to step in and take over - VW/Audi for one would be very interested in small turbos. 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:08:35 PM »
I had no idea that bribes were taxable income.

I don't think that Bernie is worried about Mercedes.  The sport appears to be in better shape than it's been in a while... certainly better off than many of its sponsors!  If Mercedes does pull out, I think the sport is ready for more privateers.

I suspect that if Mercedes pulls their engine supply, they'll just sell Ilmor.  Surely another auto company would be happy to take over a factory with a proven pedigree.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »

That's how they've gotten so many gangsters on tax evasion, clear back to Al Capone. Even income from illegal sources is taxable. I know it's true here in the States, and I doubt that other countries haven't enacted a similar Catch 22.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »
So it's just a tax deduction for Bernie then?   :DD

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 02:19:16 AM »
As I said, British tax people are very interested in finding out what Bernie would be willing to pay that much to keep quiet. They would also like to know why half of it was paid by the Bambino Trust, which Bernie is not supposed to have any control over. I think he will be paying a lot of lawyers to spend time with the Taxman.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle