collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 514
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Grosjean Gets 5 Place Grid Penalty for Germany  (Read 3623 times)

Offline cosworth151

Grosjean Gets 5 Place Grid Penalty for Germany
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:14:32 PM »
Romain Grosjean will have a five-place grid penalty this week-end at Hockenheim due to a gearbox change.

“It was a gearbox problem and we are very fortunate that Romain didn't have the problem earlier in the race,” said Lotus technical director James Allison. “Unfortunately for Romain, it means he'll take a five-place grid penalty at Hockenheim, but he certainly showed at Silverstone that dropping down the order won't stop him challenging at the sharp end.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120713/f1/120719929#ixzz20mbHEVEC

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Grosjean Gets 5 Place Grid Penalty for Germany
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
I agree with Allison - Grossjean will likely make up those places in a few laps.  Still hate the stupid rule though.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »
Well Scott, I disagree with you in this regard. If you don't impose such ban, Big teams will always change their gear-box for each race, with customization for individual grand prix, pushing the midfield and back marker further apart. As a one of the measure of keeping the cost down, ensuring even play field such rules are required, though it means extra burden for the driver. I have a feeling that we have seen some close packed racing after implementing the engine and gear-box limitation rule (though it may be a dillusional perception)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »
As I've said many times, I don't have a problem with an overall team budget cap, but I don't like the FIA telling the teams where and where not, to spend their money.  I find that meddling and frankly none of the FIA's business. 

If the FIA wants to get involved in team day-to-day business, maybe they should help drum up some sponsors, or simply lower the budget if there is such a huge gap.  Honestly, I blame the small teams for mismanaging their team finances.  A few of them should never have been allowed into F1 in the first place. 

Maybe that's that's another place the FIA should get involved.  Stop (and stop Bernie) scaring off the high profile team owners that have been through the revolving door in the past years and perhaps do a much better job at vetting the new entries before they are handed keys to the paddock.

Just my opinion...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:47:12 AM »
I think I agree with a post I saw on F1 Fanatic, that gearbox changes should be like engine changes. Start the season with X number of identical gearboxes and change them whenever you feel you need to. Once you've been through your set, additional changes initiate the penalties.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »
I think I agree with a post I saw on F1 Fanatic, that gearbox changes should be like engine changes. Start the season with X number of identical gearboxes and change them whenever you feel you need to. Once you've been through your set, additional changes initiate the penalties.

There is such a rule already, they get just one each.  :tease: 

How many is the right number though, in view of the cost cutting agenda right now in F1? Some teams never appear to suffer a penalty, is this because they use the DNF rule to get a free change or are there some who get through the whole season with just the one?  :DntKnw:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »

Even if I still see that as meddling, it makes more sense.  Machines break, period.  Even if you try to make them bulletproof.  It's not the team's fault.  Grid penalties for broken parts are not fair.  What's next?  Penalties for crashing?  A wrecked car costs plenty more than a gearbox.  So when a driver makes an error, shouldn't that be a penalty too?  (there's no sarcasm emoticon)...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:23:15 AM »

Even if I still see that as meddling, it makes more sense.  Machines break, period.  Even if you try to make them bulletproof.  It's not the team's fault.  Grid penalties for broken parts are not fair.  What's next?  Penalties for crashing?  A wrecked car costs plenty more than a gearbox.  So when a driver makes an error, shouldn't that be a penalty too?  (there's no sarcasm emoticon)...

Wot! - No penalties for crashing?  :o  How come then we get into heated discussions after almost every race about punishments meted out to drivers who have shunts.  :confused:

The biggest penalty for crashing is not being able to score any points.  :D 

Now wait a minute, how about awarding a point to any innocent driver taken out by a punishable foul from another driver?  Might cool heads in the heat of battle just a little.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle