collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 388
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hertz Rent-A-Porsche  (Read 12673 times)

Offline cosworth151

Hertz Rent-A-Porsche
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »
Hertz is going to start renting Porsche Panamera sedans. AutoWeek's Rory Carroll, who is quickly becoming my favorite automotive reporter, sums it up well:

When Porsche announced the Cayenne, it alienated the kinds of enthusiasts who built the Porsche brand. When they announced the Panamera, Porsche provided another reason for enthusiasts to give up on the company. Today, Porsche seems more determined than ever to eliminate the last Porsche enthusiasts so that the firm can concentrate on selling rebadged Volkswagens to Russian cocaine magnates.

Last weekend, Hertz announced that the Porsche Panamera will join the Kia Rio and
the Toyota Corolla on the roster of sedans that any idiot can rent for the week.

Another proud moment in Porsche history.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Hertz Rent-A-Porsche
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »
I don't really see the sales of Corvettes being affected by Chevy also making the Sonic.  If people think a Carerra is no fun to drive because the company also makes the Panamera, then... why do we car about 'car enthusiasts' who are more interested in status than actual enthusiasm for cars?

Porche has their priorities right:  sell cars that people want for as much money as possible.  There is room for one company to manufacture more than one kind of car, and for one marque to appeal to more than one kind of person.  (Didn't GM almost die trying to keep their marques distinct?)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
I don't really see the sales of Corvettes being affected by Chevy also making the Sonic.  If people think a Carerra is no fun to drive because the company also makes the Panamera, then... why do we car about 'car enthusiasts' who are more interested in status than actual enthusiasm for cars?

Porche has their priorities right:  sell cars that people want for as much money as possible.  There is room for one company to manufacture more than one kind of car, and for one marque to appeal to more than one kind of person.  (Didn't GM almost die trying to keep their marques distinct?)

Way to go, Jeri.  Said it all.  Snobs need to be pegged.  Maybe there are a few of us who have the interest and passion to drive cars like Porche's for the day, even if we don't have the means to own one.  Allowing them into rental fleets does not lower the bar for the mark, it just opens up so many more possibilities to sell more.  How many rentals have people driven that have affected their next auto purchase.  In my case it has generally meant that I will never buy certain cars, but I think it can work the other way too, especially for a company like Porche.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
That's why Corvettes aren't considered to be even in the same class as Ferrari, Aston Martin or Porsche. They're more on the line of Mustang and Challenger.

When GM kept distinct identities for their various marques they were by far the largest car company in the world. What killed them was when they tried to make every marque be all things to all people.

VW has more than enough marques that they can keep Porsche as a performance brand. Is the world really a better place because someone can buy a Tiguan with a Porsche badge on it?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
That's why Corvettes aren't considered to be even in the same class as Ferrari, Aston Martin or Porsche. They're more on the line of Mustang and Challenger.

When GM kept distinct identities for their various marques they were by far the largest car company in the world. What killed them was when they tried to make every marque be all things to all people.

VW has more than enough marques that they can keep Porsche as a performance brand. Is the world really a better place because someone can buy a Tiguan with a Porsche badge on it?

Japanese car companies don't even bother with marques in Japan.  The Honda NSX was/will be sold right along the Honda Civic.

If people are only buying a Porsche because of the logo, then they deserve a rebadged VW.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »
Is the world really a better place because someone can buy a Tiguan with a Porsche badge on it?

that's Toureg I think, if you're talking about the Cayenne.  A buddy of mine has one and I tease him all the time that he could have saved $60k.  To be fair, it is basically a Toureg chassis, but the engine is certainly not VW.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:20:52 PM »
Is the world really a better place because someone can buy a Tiguan with a Porsche badge on it?

that's Toureg I think, if you're talking about the Cayenne.  A buddy of mine has one and I tease him all the time that he could have saved $60k.  To be fair, it is basically a Toureg chassis, but the engine is certainly not VW.

The whole VW/Audi group is based on platform sharing. All the Seat and Skoda models are based on VW platforms, the Ibiza, Fabia/Roomster and Audi A1 use the Polo/Fox base; VW A0 platform. The Leon/Altea, Octavia. Audi A3 are the same as the Golf underneath; the VW A platform. The Superb is based on the Passat, along with the Seat Exeo and Audi A4/S4/RS4, A5/Q5, A6, A7, A8; it's the VW group B platform.

It's nothing unusual at all for a Porsche to be based on the Touareg; the VW PL71 platform, almost all motor manufacturers now share platforms within their own family of companies, or even in strategic partnerships with rivals, it's the only way to fund the high cost of developing new generations of vehicles.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:35:48 PM »
I was talking about the upcoming, Tiguan based Porsche Macan, which was originally being floated under the name Porsche Cajan. I don't think any Ferrari share much of anything with a Fiat or Jeep. Even at VW, I don't think one could find any Skoda parts in a Veyron. VW is just diluting and cheapening their finest marque.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 04:16:15 AM »
There are Ferrari bits in Alfas and Maseratis. Several reviewers who drove the Saab version of GMs SUV could hardly believe it was the same vehicle. The Audi S4 is nothing like the VW Passat. Veyrons and Bentleys share an engine architecture. Parts don't mean squat, unless they are inherently bad parts to start with. It's the engineering that matters along with the budget. Porsche has plenty of talent and resources. The Panamera appeals to people who want a bit of Porsche feeling in a 4 door sedan. Aston is looking at the same market. And you can rent Ferraris, Lamborghinis 911s et. al. in most large cities.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »
And you can rent Ferraris, Lamborghinis 911s et. al. in most large cities.

And none of them are four door grocery getters.

Aston has always and will always badge their baby haulers Logonda, so they won't pollute the Aston brand. Remember all those years that Ford owned AM? Anybody want to tell me what a good idea an Aston Excursion or Aston Crown Vic would have been?
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
You only buy a Porker when you can afford a Ferrari.  :tease:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
And you can rent Ferraris, Lamborghinis 911s et. al. in most large cities.

And none of them are four door grocery getters.

Aston has always and will always badge their baby haulers Logonda, so they won't pollute the Aston brand. Remember all those years that Ford owned AM? Anybody want to tell me what a good idea an Aston Excursion or Aston Crown Vic would have been?

Obviously whatever Ford DID do with Aston didn't work, or they wouldn't have bothered selling it.  (I never quite understood why they bought it though... maybe some British tax break)

Probably would have made more money building Astons off the Panther platform.  Probably would have actually updated/replaced the Panther, and kept making the best cop cars in North America.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
They sold it because it was one of the most valuable things they owned, and they needed money. They sold Cosworth and Land Rover about the same time.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 03:27:02 AM »
Lamborghini built 4 door Espadas before Audi bought them. Quite a beautiful car, though hardly a grocery getter. I doubt many Panamera owners take it to Safeway.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »
No, they'll go to Whole Foods. Anybody who'd buy a four door Porsche is far more interested in expensive brand names over substance. In any case, they won't show up at the Raceway, either. And that's what Porsches are supposed to be all about.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle