collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hertz Rent-A-Porsche  (Read 12699 times)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Hertz Rent-A-Porsche
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »
No, they'll go to Whole Foods. Anybody who'd buy a four door Porsche is far more interested in expensive brand names over substance. In any case, they won't show up at the Raceway, either. And that's what Porsches are supposed to be all about.

Maybe they're going for the thing Ford used to go for with the Crown Vic police cars... if the officers spend all day in a Ford, maybe they'll buy one for the family mover too.

If you love racing a Porche on Sundays, maybe you'll want to take your kids to school in one too?

Ford has given up on that strategy, but if people who race Porsches on Sunday are driving BMWs on Monday, that's not good (if you're a stock holder)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »
A little reminder of what Porsche is supposed to be all about. Not a truck or baby hauler in sight!

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »
A little reminder of what Porsche is supposed to be all about. Not a truck or baby hauler in sight!

What, so Ford is supposed to stick with hand cranked Model T's?

IBM should stick to making cash registers?

Nintendo only makes playing cards?

A list of sucessful car companies that didn't evolve:

Hummer
Duesenberg
Studebaker
MG

Porsche is definitely playing a dangerous game, but there is a market for ultra-expensive 'sporty' 4 door vehicles.  They could invent a badge for selling them, but there's no prestige there.  They could revive an old badge, but it's tough to sell a failed name for extra $$$. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »
The Hummer brand is a fine example. It was seriously devalued by the H2 and H3, with were just uglied up, over priced Chevy pick-ups.

Duesenberg was killed by a decade long global depression.

Studebaker died when they put their formerly proud name on a series of compact Lark models. The same thing happened to Packard with their Clipper models.

MG is, of course, still in business. They just had their brand devalued by building bland sedans.

How about these:

Should Rolex put their name on cheap digital watches?
Should Patron put their name on cheap well tequila?
Should Domaine Romanée-Conti put their name on a box wine?
Should Padrón put their name on cheap fruit flavored cigars?

I never said that Porsche should still be building 365's. Unlike IBM, Ford or Nintendo, Porsche was always a premier, prestige brand. It stood for sports cars that were more than capable of racing. The Panamera and Cayenne are the first Porsche models I can remember that don't can't race.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »

Trouble is Porsche has been selling, very successfully I might add, the Cayenne for ten years. Doesn't seem to have diluted the brand, in fact being known as the company with the fastest Luxury 4x4 has added to the cachet around Porsche. Can't see the Pannamera harming their bottom line either. Sorry Cos but even race bred car companies have to pay the bills, I'll only start to worry when the sports/race cars start being dropped from the range.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
When was the last time you saw a successful Posche racecar? The only LMP they've had for years was the LMP2 Spyder. There were only a handful of them and they soon disappeared. The 911's are being trounced in the LMGT ranks by Ferrari, Corvette, BMW and so on. They haven't been in Rally or Raid for many, many years.

There are already rumors that the next gen 911 won't even be rear engine. Porsche will just be a badge-engineered VW, and will soon go the way of Packard and Pontiac. Very sad.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »
Should Rolex put their name on cheap digital watches?
Should Patron put their name on cheap well tequila?
Should Domaine Romanée-Conti put their name on a box wine?
Should Padrón put their name on cheap fruit flavored cigars?

I haven't priced them out, but as long as the Cayenne and Panamera cost more than the Boxter, and include standard Porsche build quality, I don't really see how those are parallel examples.

(Although if you'd like to argue the Boxter is a bad idea, I'll agree with you 100%.  I'll even agree that it was the first step on the road that lead to this very discussion, making the Cayenne and Panamera part of a mistake that will take a generation to pass)

I never said that Porsche should still be building 365's. Unlike IBM, Ford or Nintendo, Porsche was always a premier, prestige brand. It stood for sports cars that were more than capable of racing. The Panamera and Cayenne are the first Porsche models I can remember that don't can't race.

So what brand name would you sell the Panamera?  You can't charge obscene prices for a VW.  Audi already sells a lower priced 4 door sedan.

They could make up a new name, but then it's still just a rebadged VW.

We don't need to hear about how they don't need to sell the car at all... there is no reason for Porsche to exist as a company at all, and the fact that they do sell them means that people want them.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
When was the last time you saw a successful Posche racecar? The only LMP they've had for years was the LMP2 Spyder. There were only a handful of them and they soon disappeared. The 911's are being trounced in the LMGT ranks by Ferrari, Corvette, BMW and so on. They haven't been in Rally or Raid for many, many years.

There are already rumors that the next gen 911 won't even be rear engine. Porsche will just be a badge-engineered VW, and will soon go the way of Packard and Pontiac. Very sad.

They're just getting back to their roots, lol.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
I LOVE the Boxter. I'd take one over a 911 any time. It's not a question of price. $1000 box wine is still box wine. It's about the very essence of the brand. As far as what to put the Panamera under, I'd suggest a scrap crusher.
― Bob Dylan

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 02:24:08 AM »

3 weks ago.  :P  I watched the Porsche Carrera Cup races on TV, one of the support series to the BTCC,  from Croft circuit.
Ferrari, Corvette and BMW might have cars entered and doing well in general sports car races but they don't have succesful one make series run all over the world. Hell the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup is a support series at the the European F1 rounds with around 20 drivers contesting each race.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 04:09:27 AM »
911s aren't winning because the various series have jiggered the rules to let Ferraris et al have an advantage. Porsche will come back when the rules allow it, or more likely when they figure out how to get around them. Porsche is planning on running a P1 under the new rules. I'm sure it will be fast. The P2 was extremely successful, and was probably a means for Porsche to test some chassis bits in anticipation of their return to P1. The engine in the Cayenne was modified and won the Daytona 24. The Porsche purists hate anything that isn't a 911. That 914 in the picture was branded a VW by the Faithful. The 911 owners club in the Phoenix area was one of the most stuck up and snobbish groups I have had the misfortune to have to deal with. The 911 is a crappy design that has been spectacularly engineered into a great car. If Porsche wants to build  something else, more power to them. They are a solid company that builds finely engineered cars of all types.
Lonny

David

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
I LOVE the Boxter. I'd take one over a 911 any time. It's not a question of price. $1000 box wine is still box wine. It's about the very essence of the brand. As far as what to put the Panamera under, I'd suggest a scrap crusher.

I agree Cos, only my choice would be the Cayman. The 911 annoys me a bit, a great car but always compromised by the engine hanging over the back. Fair enough they have engineered their way round this like only Germans could do, but it's just not right. The Cayman is everything the 911 should have evolved into, only Porsche had to make it slower than the 911. As a sports car enthusiast I would also agree the Panamera and that awful SUV thing they make shouldn't wear the badge, but Porsche are a business after all, and if they sell they sell. 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 01:55:50 AM »
Porsche is a business. I'm sure they would prefer to be purely a sports/GT manufacturer. One of the rules of business is grow or die, and a few years ago Porsche could see the time coming when the sports car market was saturated. So they cast around for a new product line. At that time, SUVs were the hottest segment in the market, so Porsche designed and built one of the best high performance SUVs money could buy. It sold well. Porsche made more profits. Corporate nirvana. As long as they maintain the level of performance and quality they are known for, they will continue to expand into other segments and sell well. I don't think they have lost any 911 sales because the Panamera is in the same showroom.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 12:13:53 PM »
Just for the record, the 914-6 GT is my all-time favorite production Porsche.

When Porsche sold out and re-badged the Touareg, they were attempting to buy VW. After the Touareg and the Panamera, Porsche was swallowed by VW. Not exactly my definition of success.
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »
Just for the record, the 914-6 GT is my all-time favorite production Porsche.

1970 914/6 GT won its class in the Le Mans, and 6th Overall. One of the glittering achievement of Porches legacy..

Great choice Cos..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle