collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 409
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 7 teams to forget  (Read 7194 times)

Offline Dare

7 teams to forget
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:31:43 AM »
Not too sure of this list,I have a soft spot for Minardi,Wolf,
Shadow,and even March.Ibet John even has one for Surtees

http://www.planetsport.com/features/news/seven_f1_teams_nobody_will_remember/12-08-03

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: 7 teams to forget
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:43:15 AM »
I strongly disagree regarding Minardi,March. Wolf and Lola. Lola? I agree their formula one record is not that good, But Lola to be forgotten from motorsports?
Fernando Alonso was the driver who had been mentored in Minardi before becoming the world championship. And many agrees that famous win of Sebastian Vettel in Monza was almost a win for Minardi in disguise in their home turf. Minardi fans tried a failed petition to save the name, before the re-badge of Torro Rosso. That is not a sign of a team among the forgotten ones.

Perhaps the writer could not see what Minardi meant to Formula one, a team where the money matter the last, and enthusiasm, desire to compete in formula one was there upmost priority. Having particiapated in the formula one for 20 years without any big manufacturer back-up say itself the teams philosophy. Minardi may not be the team writer remembers, but for people like me, they will remain in our memories forever.
I could go on with other teams as well, but instead I am quoting one of the readers post from that article :
There is still time to do the only decent thing which is to remove the article from your site and save the poor 18 yr. old intern that wrote it further embarrassment.

It is OK, we all make mistakes, it is now time to save what there is to be saved.
Learn from it and take heart in the fact that clearly some of your readers are knowledgeable fans

I am leaving the rest for our more knowledgeable members to contribute...

But thanks Dare for the post, haven't found such a thing to bash for a long time.. :good:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 04:08:34 PM »
Minardi was one of the best loved teams in the history of the sport. It was long the nursery of future champions.

Surtees, Wolf and Shadow were also noble efforts. How about some more recent teams like Prost, Spyker and Midland?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »
How about some more recent teams like Prost, Spyker and Midland?
  Don't forget BAR
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
What about Toyota? Massive money, zero wins.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »

I think the writer made a typo error and and meant '7 Teams time forgot'  ;)

Even Zakspeed and Lola deserve to be remembered,  :D but they've got a bloody cheek trying to dismiss Surtees, Shadow, Wolf et al, no proper F1 writer could be taken seriously for suggesting those teams were not worthy.  :nono: >:(

If we have to talk teams not fit for F1; try, Andrea Modena, Coloni, EuroBrun, Life, & Token.  :D The whole lot probably managed to actually race just under a dozen times - not individualy but between the lot of them, from 191 entries.  :swoon: And we sometimes think the current non score three are pants.  :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »
I would have said USF1, but they never really existed, did they?
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »
Can somebody remember the name Super Aguri? I always questioned their reason to be a formula one team. Did they wanted a true Japanese team to be represented in the grid?

What are the chances Marussia, Caterham and HRT will join them? Because to me they are just driving a 300 kmph billboard and nothing else. I don't ask them to be winner, but every now and then produce some heroics, when the rain effects the race, have something of your sleeves and show it to the world. The best possible example could be Sauber, they have re-established a team from the ruin left by a big manufacturer, (Yeah, they does have a legend named Peter Sauber). But their inspirational performance this season, does denote the fact their eagerness for the sports. Now that's what makes teams memorable.

Moss didn't make to be a WDC, yet among the greatest he will always be remembered...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »
I would have said USF1, but they never really existed, did they?

What ever happened to Peter Windsor?  He did an absolutely HORRIBLE podcast for a while after the USF1 still-birth, but I haven't heard or seen of him since.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »

Peter Windsor currently makes regular webcasts for SmibsTV under the title 'The Flying Lap'. Most of them are available on Youtube, he's up to about #78 now, they last about an hour each episode.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
Yeah, that's the name of it...I couldn't manage to sit through one.  I even made a couple more attempts at later webcasts, but still couldn't stand it.

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 08:59:43 PM »
Super Arguri made the fatal mistake of beating Honda

They should be in a teams that got shafted article
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
I remember Super Aguri very well. They are still an all-time favorite of mine. As Dare said, they took Honda's year-old cast offs and beat the factory team, on a shoestring budget. That's why Honda pulled the rug out from under them.
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »
To be fair Cos a lot, probably the major part, of Super A's budget was underwritten and indeed written off by Honda. I'm sure it cost them a pretty penny over the years the team existed. A bit galling when a team you are helping keep alive then uses the machinery you have given them to make you look foolish, add that to the vast sums Honda poured into their main team and it became obvious something had to give.  

In that era of shared chassis, well re-using cast off last years chassis by both Aguri and the Torro Rosso outfits, wasn't it a shared chassis that took Seb to his first win in the STR around that time? Obviously drinks manufacturers have no credibility issues over the junior outfit showing them up.  :D  

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:20:54 PM by John S »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
I just think that if Honda has given Aguri-san anything close to the budget that they wasted on the factory team, he'd have given them wins and maybe even a shot at a WCC.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle