collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 568
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Little walk in the memory lane  (Read 3243 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Little walk in the memory lane
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:07:34 AM »
It is one my favorite pass time to explore the previous posts of this forum, specially F1 history, which I feel is a treasure itself.

So it was a post from Dare around 3 years back, and after reading it I felt one driver is missing definitely from the list, I asked myself where would have people put him, if the list was made today. Reminding that the list made some controversies as well as not many people agreed with certain positions of certain drivers.

Here is the post :

Stirling Moss has been named the greatest F1 driver of all time by Autocar Formula One guru Alan Henry. Publishing his list in a new book Alan Henry quotes: “One must also consider F1’s man of the moment, Lewis Hamilton. If we revamp this volume in a few years’ time, Lewis should be able to make the top 10.

"The top four positions – Moss, Clark, Senna and Prost have a total of 133 wins between them during their racing careers.

New Zealand's 'trio at the top' showed reasonably well with Amon 13th, Hulme 52nd and McLaren 74th.

“Moss’s versatility was astonishing, separated from the dynamic Clark by only a thin margin, but in the end it is Stirling who gets the nod; perhaps the nature of Jimmy’s exclusive relationship with Lotus counts subconsciously against him,” justified Alan Henry as he revealed his top 100.

Michael Schumacher is 11th on the grid with Alan commenting that his contract conditions, making his team mate do as he was told, left him out of the top 10.

Regardless of Henry's supposed expertise, some of the people in the top 30 we have trouble even remembering? Guy Moll, anyone? He was killed age 24 after a not too stellar career and he's higher in the list than Graeme Hill!

If you're going on wins, obviously this isn't right because Schumacher should be first by a long way. If you're going on flair, Moss wasn't the most flamboyant driver. If you're going on charisma surely Mansell wouldn't even feature. Anyway, make up your own minds: it's a contentious list bound to create controversy wherever it's mentioned.

1.       Stirling Moss
2.       Jim Clark
3.       Ayrton Senna
4.       Alain Prost
5.       Alberto Ascari
6.       Juan-Manuel Fangio
7.       Bernd Rosemeyer
8.       Jackie Stewart
9.       Tazio Nuvolari
10.     Mika Häkkinen
11.     Michael Schumacher
12.     Gilles Villeneuve
13.     Chris Amon
14.     Tony Brooks
15.     Carlos Reutemann
16.     Achille Varzi
17.     Emerson Fittipaldi
18.     Jack Brabham
19.     Mario Andretti
20.     Niki Lauda
21.     Jochen Rindt
22.     Nelson Piquet
23.     Guy Moll
24.     John Surtees
25.     Ronnie Peterson
26.     Hermann Lang
27.     Dan Gurney
28.     Keke Rosberg
29.     Kimi Räikkönen
30.     Lewis Hamilton
31.     Nigel Mansell
32.     Fernando Alonso
33.     Rudolf Caracciola
34.     Didier Pironi
35.     Jacky Ickx
36.     Alan Jones
37.     James Hunt
38.     Phil Hill
39.     Damon Hill
40.     Mike Hawthorn
41.     Giuseppe Farina
42.     Jody Scheckter
43.     Jean-Pierre Wimille
44.     Graham Hill
45.     François Cevert
46.     Gerhard Berger
47      Pedro Rodriguez
48.     Jean Behra
49.     Jacques Villeneuve
50.     Ricardo Rodriguez
51.     Clay Regazzoni
52.     Denny Hulme
53.     Jean Alesi
54.     Juan Pablo Montoya
55.     Carlos Pace
56.     Louis Chiron
57.     Peter Revson
58.     Jo Siffert
59.     David Coulthard
60.     Felipe Massa
61.     Froilán Gonzalez
62.     Stefan Bellof
63.     Elio de Angelis
64.     Lorenzo Bandini
65.     Riccardo Patrese
66.     Patrick Tambay
67.     Jenson Button
68.     Rubens Barrichello
69.     Martin Brundle
70.     Derek Warwick
71.     Dick Seaman
72.     Patrick Depailler
73.     Peter Collins
74.     Bruce McLaren
75.     Michele Alboreto
76.     Eddie Irvine
77.     Richie Ginther
78.     Jean-Pierre Beltoise
79.     Johnny Servoz-Gavin
80.     Thierry Boutsen
81.     Rene Arnoux
82.     Tony Brise
83.     Tom Pryce
84.     Innes Ireland
85.     Jarno Trulli
86.     John Watson
87.     Luigi Musso
88.     Raymond Sommer
89.     Mike Hailwood
90.     Roy Salvadori
91.     Ralf Schumacher
92.     Wolfgang von Trips
93.     Stuart Lewis-Evans
94.     Jacques Laffite
95.     Eugenio Castellotti
96.     Trevor Taylor
97.     Piers Courage
98.     Stefan Johansson
99.     Jochen Mass
100.   Brian Redman
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:09:57 AM by F1fanaticBD »

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline PG_Gabriel

Re: Little walk in the memory lane
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:09:19 AM »
Just scrolling through the list and catching a few names Button would be much higher now. He is listed as 67th

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »
I don't see how Amon was so high,he never won a F1 race
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »
I would have moved Fangio & Stewart up with Clark and Moss. I would have put Dan Gurney much higher, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »
Well I expected people to put up few names, but probably summer heat has blurred them the scenario a bit..

First of All, redemption time, how come you people missed the name of youngest double world champion from the list. There might be debate where should be he slotted, but definitely he should make the list. And from my view he should be just below Graham Hill, by no means below that. Lately I might be bashing Vettel a little bit, but I will never forget the joy he delivered in Monza when he first won it in Torro Rosso, in the wet, from pole to flag, flawless as he would later display he could race in that sublime level for quite a few time. And seeing the re badged Minardi win in Monza was one of the memorable bits of my memory.

I think Giancarlo Fisichella ad Mark Webber deserves a spot in the list, I mean if Jarno Trulli can make a place there, I guess these two drivers deserve at least that if not more. For me these two drivers fares far better than even Felipe Massa, so I am a bit dissapointed no one mentioning anything about them.

And regarding the list, it was made with one person's perception so I will not comment on the order of the list, because for me it is very wrong in numerous number of ways...

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
Had Vettel won a title at the time this list was made?That could
be the reason he's not on it.

Seems to me this list includes many drivers that should be on
a what if list.Courage,Pironi,Cevert,Bellof,Revson come to mind.
And many shouldn't be on the list at all,no need to name them.

Most lists are usually made up with the posters favorites.That's
the reason I'd add Trulli,Fisichella,Bandini,and Alesi.Even though
I'm not all that sure they deserve to be included.

BD,name some of your favorites you think should be included
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »
Everybody has their favourite drivers BD, as it said in the original, it all depends on what criteria you go by, if you were to say charisma, Graham Hill and James Hunt must be at the top.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 04:53:25 AM »
I go back a ways with F1, and am interested in the history of the sport enough to know names like Lang and Rosemeyer. Still, there are several names on this list I don't know. I also agree with Dare, there are several drivers on this list who had huge potential, but died before they could realize it. For me it's Clark #1 and the rest of the list would be substantially different. Surely Mario Andretti is better than Eddie Irvine.  :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 05:57:53 AM »
Well Dare it was my intention to post it in the first place, to let people know that we have a new bunch of blokes running the show, and deserved to be among the best 100 drivers in formula 1. When you posted this 3 years back, the Red Bull era is yet to begin, so naturally Vettel & Webber is missing. To be frank 100 drivers is a long list, so except Webber and Fisi and might be Alesi as well whom I might include in the list.

And regarding the order we all have our opinion, and I honor every one of them. But I think overall list of 100 best drivers might be all the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle