collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 578
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber: Wasn't worth finishing  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Dare

Webber: Wasn't worth finishing
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
From Planet F1

A few points wasn't worth it?How many title races are decided
by a few points?Is Webber admitting the car doesn't have it this year

Mark Webber says attempting to finish Sunday's Italian GP on his shot Pirelli tyres was not worth the "couple of points" he would have scored.

The Australian had been on track for a handful of points when, with four laps to go, his worn rear tyres resulted in a massive moment for him at the Ascari chicane.

Webber dropped down to tenth before opting to make his way back to the pits, calling it quits.

"At the end I had no rear tyres left - I was obviously pushing hard," he told the BBC. "And for the sake of a couple of points I could have not pushed as hard.

"The rear tyres were completely finished though."

However, it wasn't just Webber who had a bad day at the office as his team-mate Sebastian Vettel retired earlier.

As such, Sunday's 53-lap race was Red Bull's first in 34 in which they did not score a single World Championship point.

"It was a poor day for us as a team, I'm not sure the last time it happened. We've had a few technical issues and we put ourselves on the back-foot today."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

David

Re: Webber: Wasn't worth finishing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »
His tyres were completely shot, you could see the massive flat spot as they pushed the car into the garage, he probably wouldn't have got a result if he had continued with rubber in that state.  :DntKnw:

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:14:19 AM »
Kimi would have pushed on.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
Kimi would have pushed on.

No kidding.  Webber's moment at Ascari was because he hit the kerb, not because his tires were shot.  But after the spin, you're right David, that one front tire had a massive flat spot.  I can only imagine all 4 were the same.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »
Remember once when almost brought a win for Mclaren, while he was penalized for engine changes. That was one of the ride from Kimi I wish to see over and over again.

Well Webber could not have got the points I guess after the pit-stops, so he is just making petty talks. You people at RBR wouldn't admit your failure do you? Well moment of history or memory check for you, you lost the 2010 title just because of few points..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »
As bad as those flat spots looked, that car must have been like racing on a washboard. It was not going to score points. IMO, Mark did the right thing to park it and not risk further damage to the car.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »
As bad as those flat spots looked, that car must have been like racing on a washboard. It was not going to score points. IMO, Mark did the right thing to park it and not risk further damage to the car.

A very sensible thing, but talking that he didn't care about point is not sensible at all.. In fact stupid.. :nono:

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »

I'm sure Mark's remarks were about how hard he was having to push on his older set of tyres, before his spin, with Rosberg charging at him on fresher rubber, and not about finishing on his damaged set.

Read in that context it shows mark is indeed aware that one or two points can decide the WDC or the constructors titles. He's simply ruing the fact that by having no choice but to push so hard to try to keep points his tyres were not up to the job, let him down with the spin, which finished any chance of even a single point.  I feel the author of the piece has, intentionally or not, added ambiguity where none exists.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 02:10:26 PM »
I agree with Webber on this, there is no reason for a top driver/team to keep racing when the possibilit of points is gone, and the penalty for replacing an engine/transmission is so high.

Save the parts, and hope the fans don't notice.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
It's not worth gaining 2 points in Italy if you lose 10-25 at Singapore due to the gearbox failing (lower end if it's the "5-place penalty" that gets invoked, anything up to the top end if it fails in-race). By not finishing the race, Mark can change it. Alternators are part of the powertrain, just as gearboxes are, and it is well known that Red Bull is changing the alternator for next race. Perhaps Mark simply wishes to give himself the best chance of finishing Singapore by ensuring that his gearbox isn't carrying damage from a known dodgy alternator? Especially since this also means the large amount of work done in Belgium won't be on the new gearbox either?

Kimi would have carried on regardless, taken the DNF next race and briefly wondered why he was well down in the points compared to where he should have been. Remember also that Japan 2005 (the example to which F1FanaticBD alludes) happened because the engine failure happened in practise. The one time that year gradual problems leading to retirement occurred in the race was Nurburgring. There, Kimi could have pitted at any time in about 20 laps and got at least 3rd, possibly 2nd. There was no way the tyre was going to stay functional for the whole 20 laps and Webber would have known that. Raikkonen nearly managed it - but the emphasis is on nearly, and he lost 10 points. Had he been sensible, he would have been a much stronger contender for the title.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »
I agree with Alia, as well as with others, it is sensible and logical to have stopped, and not fight for the point, or there is no point of gaining one, to save the engine as well as the gear-box, plus a scope to change the gear box along with a faulty alternator in the power train.. I have never disagreed, but there is something in my heart feels its not right. Logic or any other factor just could not get that uneasy feeling go away.. Perhaps I am being foolish, but could not tame the racing heart..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle