collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 526
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Closed Cockpit Now "Inevitable" in F1  (Read 8375 times)

Online cosworth151

Closed Cockpit Now "Inevitable" in F1
« on: September 03, 2012, 06:25:43 PM »
McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe thinks that F1 must now move to closed cockpit cars. "Personally I think something is inevitable because it is the one big [safety] exposure that we have got."

The lap 1 crash at La Source this past week-end has brought a renewed sense of urgency to the discussions of a closed cockpit car. Romain Grosjean's Lotus flew over the front of Alonzo's Ferrari, narrowly missing disaster.

The NHRA started allowing "bubble top" style canopies on their Top Fuel Dragster class cars just weeks ago. Sprint and Midget cars here in the States have long had a cage style structure around the cockpit.

I think that the cage type would be a much better fit for F1. I also think that the time has come for the added safety of such a structure.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102213

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: Closed Cockpit Now "Inevitable" in F1
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »
Its one of the issues that spits me into halves, as I hate to see any cockpit in a F1 car, but also realize the fact that if we had that years ago, you could have seen a lot more from Ayrton. I cannot accept it in my heart, but my mind keep telling the other way round.. :fool: :fool:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
That is a tough one.  As a driver I think I would almost prefer a way to get out of the car quickly as opposed to something else to protect me while I'm in it.  It would be tragic if a cockpit or cage got hit, and that somehow jammed the mechanism to open it and free the driver.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »
The safety aspect aside our opinions are going to depend on on the visual perspective, the cars are quite ugly with the current nose let alone a cage or canopy over the cockpit. Only time will tell!!  :DntKnw:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
I agree. The cars are ugly and a canopy would make it worse. I believe the high nose was a contributing factor in yesterday's accident. A low nose would be less likely to ride over another car and launch you into the air. You could also increase safety by going to a rolling start, but I don't think anyone wants to see that. F1 should think this over very carefully and look at all the factors before making such a drastic change.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »

I hope if they must try to find more driver protection they poll all open wheel racing licence holders and don't just take the usual lofty paternal view at the FIA. It's the sport as well as driver's lives they are seeking to preserve, but at what cost if the sport is changed forever by edict of closed cockpits that most disagree with. Brundle is oft heard in TV commentary quoting the fact that all tickets to motor race meetings bear the warning that motor racing is dangerous, so we all know this including the drivers.

I'd hate this to become the excuse to make F1 cars interchangeable with Le Mans prototypes on a safety and cost saving basis.  >:D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »
I was thinking of something more like a Top Fueler, with lower side panels. It would protect the driver's head in accidents like the one this past Sunday. It would also help in flips like the one Webber had at Valencia a while back, or even a Senna type incident. It wouldn't do much good against a relatively small item, like the spring that hit Massa, but it would allow for easy exit from the car.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »
That actually looks pretty good.  With the longer cockpit opening, there is still a way for the driver to exit the car without too much complication.   :good: :good:

Not sure the teams would like the fact that all the other teams could then easily look in and see all their buttons and levers though  ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
I agree that's not too bad but I still am agin it.I'm
afraid were going to end up with something that
resembles  a jet minus the wings.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »
I agree that's not too bad but I still am agin it.I'm
afraid were going to end up with something that
resembles  a jet minus the wings.

Well said that man.  :good: 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 05:41:47 AM »
If I made the rules we would have engines like those from the late '70s, early '80s in cars  like those from the mid '60s.  :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 06:07:12 AM »
I don't know, personally I think that F1 cars would look pretty damn cool with an enclosed cockpit. Fighter jets look cool, especially the F1 Falcon.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 06:19:39 AM »
a quick Google search resulted in these 2 pics...i'm sold! :good:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 06:22:07 AM »
If I can't see the helmet, it ain't F1.
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™