collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 497
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Teams agree on nose jobs for 2013  (Read 2353 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Teams agree on nose jobs for 2013
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »

New regs should require modesty panels to cover pig ugly conks.   :yahoo:          

Formula 1 teams have agreed an amendment to the 2013 regulations, yet to be finalised, which will see the stepped noses disappear next season.

The majority of the cars on the grid, bar McLaren's MP4-27 and Marussia's MR01, feature a stepped nose which came as the result of new regulations for 2012 to reduce the risk of a car launching into the air should the nose make contact with the rear of another car - much like Mark Webber and Heikki Kovalainen at the 2010 European Grand Prix.

The new-look received mainly negative feedback from fans who branded the noses 'ugly'. The new regulations give a team the option to cover the step with a 'modesty panel', which simply hides the step according to McLaren's technical director Paddy Lowe.

"We have agreed a rule that allows a 'modesty panel', which in effect means you can take the existing cars and existing structures that have a step and put a cover there," said Lowe.

"The way it's managed is that the laminate and size of that panel is limited so that you can't create an aero [advantage] out of it and also so that it plays no part in the forward impact."

All 12 teams have agreed to the alteration, therefore it's almost guaranteed to be included in the next issue of the technical regulations.

by Ryan Wood TheF1times.com, Today.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:34:40 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Teams agree on nose jobs for 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:36:55 PM »
Stupid.  They should put them back where they belong - DOWN.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:27:12 PM »

:good: :good: :good:
Lonny

David

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:38:11 PM »

Agreed  :good:

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 12:54:28 AM »
Maybe for safety I'm wrong but I think the raised
noses give F1 cars a unique look  :good:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 01:26:10 AM »
True, uniquely ugly.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 06:07:57 AM »
Didn't Romain displayed at Spa that this ugly nose can as well launch you in the air, causing horrendous accident? Then why this fuss? Just make is as it was..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »
I was never all that fond of the old droop-snoots. The platypus nose may not be the most beautiful thing in the world, but I still like it better than the old saggy noses.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Cam

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
I can't for the life of me visualise how this is going to work.  The platypus nose came about because the FIA wanted to reduce the height of the nose but the manufacturers didn't want to reduce the height of the front bulkhead.  Ostensibly this was on cost grounds to enable re-use of last years chassis design but in reality it was to minimise degradation to airflow under the front of the car which would have occured if the chasss had been lowered. So the FIA maintained the profile limits up to the bulkhead and then a short distance past that (it obviouslycouldnt be a step change) reduced the profile to the new lower height.  The designs, unsurprisingly, simply max out the envelope specified by the rules. 

So where does this modesty panel fit in, the bulkhead isnt getting any lower so does is just mean they can make the transition to the lower height less extreme without making it a structural component.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:40 PM »

So where does this modesty panel fit in, the bulkhead isnt getting any lower so does is just mean they can make the transition to the lower height less extreme without making it a structural component.

I think that's exactly what they are proposing to do. This cosmetic fix will not be part of the structure that is required to pass the crash test, which surely is what Paddy Lowe is talking about when he refers to front impact. Might end up with a lot of extra Carbon fibre shards from front end shunts due to these modesty panels though, if they are not required to be as strong as the rest of the nose cones.  

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 03:16:43 AM »
They should look like this:

Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »
Absolutely
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Totally 1000% agree Lonny, now THAT is an F1 car.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »
Actually, I think they should look like this.  :yahoo:

Since that will never happen again, I'll take what comes.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:12:15 AM »
AH! Truly I agree with Cos, but I didn't even dare to hope they would do away with wings.  :fool:
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle