collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 539
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber loses point after penalty  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Dare

Webber loses point after penalty
« on: September 24, 2012, 02:40:48 AM »

from Planet F1

Jeri and myself commented on this during race chat

Mark Webber will leave Singapore empty-handed after he was hit with penalty post race.

The Red Bull driver scored one point at the Marina Bay Street Circuit on Sunday after finishing 10th, but he was called before the stewards following the race for an incident involving Kamui Kobayashi.

The two were battling during the closing stages when Webber went off track. He overtook the Sauber while doing it and stewards opted to punish him with a 20-second penalty after the race.

"Car #2 left the track and gained an advantage when he rejoined", said the stewards.

The penalty drops the Australian to 11th while Kobayashi's team-mate Sergio Perez moves up to 10th from 11.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Webber loses point after penalty
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:10:51 AM »
DC said two wheels were still on the track, but I didn't see it that way.  Sorry for Mark, but I can see McNish's view to keep the rule consistent.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
Consistency has to be key in F1. Mark's poor run continues.

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:22:49 AM »
And Schumi has been hit with a 10 place grid penalty for crashing into the back of Vergne.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »
Smart move would have been to give it back to Kobi next turn and have another go a lap or two later.  There was still plenty of time, and Mark wasn't going to catch the next car anyhow.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:26:17 AM »
And Schumi has been hit with a 10 place grid penalty for crashing into the back of Vergne.

Really?  Wow, I wonder what will happen if they find out there was a tech problem on his car that caused it.  To me it didn't look normal.  There is no way even Schumacher would have attempted an outside pass there with late braking.

Williamsfan

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
I'd hope they got all the relevant info from Mercedes about Schumi's car before issuing the penalty (although in F1 nothing surprises me!). Ross Brawn's reaction to the incident was kind of telling though, really shaking his head.  Loved the pit radio snippet they played!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »
According to the stewards' ruling, "The driver admitted the collision was his error due to the failure to anticipate the braking performance of the car with lower tyre grip following a safety car period." However, after the race, Schumi said that he didn't know why his brakes didn't slow the car as much as they should have.

The Webber-Koby incident took place on Lap 18 of a 60 lap race. What were the stewards doing for the last two thirds of the race? Why did they have to wait until it was too late to ding Mark? It really stinks.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
I expected Mark to be hit with a penalty but I do hate these 'after the event' decisions.
These guys are risking their lives trying to get the best points result. If Mark knew that he was going to be demoted he could have chosen to ease up, look after the engine, etc. or possibly (but extremely unlikely) drive even harder to get an additional 20seconds ahead of of the nearest contender. Whichever way you look at it, having the place effectively taken away from you after the race is awful.

As for Schumacher (don't get me started) the guy is dangerous. Aparantly, telemetry showed that instead of braking at the 100m board he didn't apply the brakes until the 50m board. He could not have made the corner even if poor Jean-Eric wasn't there to be hit. Time to go Schumacher.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »

Really?  Wow, I wonder what will happen if they find out there was a tech problem on his car that caused it.  To me it didn't look normal.  There is no way even Schumacher would have attempted an outside pass there with late braking.

F1 is a team sport.  If Schumacher is allowed on track in a dangerous car, then a 10 spot penalty is quite generous for the Mercedes team.

I agree that it looked like it wasn't Schumacher's mistake per se, but in the real world the following driver is always responsible in a crash, seems consistent for the safety minded FIA to do so on track.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
It looks like Schumi has the brakes fully locked and smoking all four tires. Full marks to Jean-Éric Vergne for his sportsman-like approach to Schumacher after the accident. A true gentleman.  :good:

(Look quickly before Bernie pulls it down)

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
But even Schumacher agreed that he had to stomp on the brakes after they apparently didn't work. 

But like it has been said, it was certainly Schumacher's fault if the brakes did work, and it was just his error to not notice that there wasn't enough heat in the tires or the brakes before flying into a mass of cars.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 04:42:21 PM »
Looked like the car stepped out just as he started breaking, funny he has done that twice at that track!

Offline Irisado

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »
The penalty for Webber didn't surprise me at all.  I'm surprised that it wasn't issued during the race though, as it looked pretty clear cut to me.

As for Schumacher, he's had a number of near misses, and three crashes into other cars through braking too late, since his return in 2009, so I think that he's trying to drive on his reactions too much, and not taking account of the fact that his reactions will naturally be slightly less sharp than they were during his Ferrari and Benetton days.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »
The penalty for Webber didn't surprise me at all.  I'm surprised that it wasn't issued during the race though, as it looked pretty clear cut to me.

I think there was a complicating factor, Mark could not easily give the place back immediately as Kobi was jumped by another car, possibly two, right after Mark had passed him.

I reckon the stewards were letting things unfold rather than giving Mark a very costly drive thru at that stage, if Mark or Kobi failed to finish no action, but since they both did a 20 sec penalty became inevitable.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle