collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 372
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Doubts About 2014 Turbos  (Read 8296 times)

Offline cosworth151

Doubts About 2014 Turbos
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
This may be a sign of the End Times: Bernie is making sense!  :swoon:

Bernie Ecclestone has come out again against F1's proposed 2014 swap to turbo V6's. The race promoters and many fans have long been against the move.

IndyCar switched to similar mini-motors this season. They have proven to be about as welcome as a skunk at a church picnic. Hopefully F1 can be saved from a similar fate.

http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/90325.html

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

Re: Doubts About 2014 Turbos
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:13:34 PM »
This may backfire on Lewis as well.Wasn't Mercedes hoping the engine
change would favor them?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:57:12 PM »
I don't understand the fuss about the 'sound' of F1.  The cars are still going to be fantastically loud.  The doppler effect will still make you feel cars as they pass by.

Aside from that, I hope that F1 learns from IRL's mistakes, and IF they go ahead with the new engines, relax the rules/penalties about replacement while manufacturers sort out the bugs.

My personal view remains that the FIA should open up the engine formula, let manufacturers create whatever they heck they want.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »
Here's the real bottom line. Bernie doesn't make the rules. Todt has shown no inclination to bow to Bernie's will. Ferrari, Merc and Renault have already invested millions if not billions in development costs for the new engines. Get used to them because they are coming whether Bernie likes it or not.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 07:52:21 AM »
Looks like Bernie is trying to have a bit of pressure on Todt, and all he has against him is that the sound. I am always up for innovation, and if you are not throwing challenges to this people in F1, it would not be as interesting as it is now.

Why not try things with turbos and lets see where does it goes. We can always come back to V8, but it will be interesting to see how thing unfolds once the new engines have been put in place.

Please people don't be prude, lets be adventurous..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
Todt is the only person in F1 who can see eye to eye with Bernie, and they still don't get along. :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »
There's nothing adventurous about a minivan engine.  It isn't just Bernie who is against the change. The promoters hate it. A huge amount of the fans hate it. V6's were a high priced disaster for NASCAR, they are a high priced disaster for IndyCar and they will be a higher priced disaster for F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Here's the real bottom line. Bernie doesn't make the rules. Todt has shown no inclination to bow to Bernie's will. Ferrari, Merc and Renault have already invested millions if not billions in development costs for the new engines. Get used to them because they are coming whether Bernie likes it or not.

Totally agree.  :good:  

IMHO Bernie is just up to his usual kite flying to try to get all the Mid, and end of pack, teams to sign the new concorde by attempting to get the customer price of the new engines down.

With Lewis signed to Merc they have obviously agreed terms with Bernie to stay, all the other top teams are signed up as well, it's only the smaller outfits who are worried about engine costs who are wavering. By threatening to change the engine rules he hopes to cut a trade off of a cheaper price for the backend teams.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
Craig Pollock supports the V6 engines.

I might have to rethink my support if it means agreeing with Craig on F1 matters.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/280196/exclusive-interview-with-pure-s-craig-pollock/

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
The last I heard, Pollock's V6 outfit was about to go under.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101562

As for Todt, the best thing that could happen to motorsport would be for the FIA to just go away. They bring nothing good do incredible harm. Just look at their latest mess. Their WEC is abandoning one of the two greatest sports car races in the world, the 12 Hours of Sebring, for something at The Cowpie on The Prairie.  :sick:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:29:10 PM by cosworth151 »
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »
Craig Pollock supports the V6 engines.

I might have to rethink my support if it means agreeing with Craig on F1 matters.

:DD :DD :DD  So true...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 04:27:30 AM »
As for Todt, the best thing that could happen to motorsport would be for the FIA to just go away. They bring nothing good do incredible harm. Just look at their latest mess. Their WEC is abandoning one of the two greatest sports car races in the world, the 12 Hours of Sebring, for something at The Cowpie on The Prairie.  :sick:

In fairness, that was partly because the ALMS and WEC have both grown to such an extent that they cannot fit both their entry lists on the same grid with their expected 2013 grids, even at a place as big as Sebring with 64 grid spots. (I believe WEC expects to be 35-strong, and ALMS somewhere between 30 and 40 depending on what "marginal" teams do). The trouble is that if you reject Sebring on size grounds (and not wanting to run a world-class event as a support to what is technically a continent-class one), and reject anywhere that doesn't have a Grade 1* pressroom (due to the media following WEC attracts), options in the USA are remarkably limited.

(The other part is that the WEC doesn't like the idea of having combined grids anyway, a feeling it picked up from the ELMS organisers. I don't think it did the ELMS much good...)

I tend to agree that F1 would be better off with a more hands-off FIA, because the FIA has a habit of making problems worse instead of better. The only reason we don't have a breakaway threat this year is because nobody can afford it...

* - Grade 1 is mostly associated with F1, which in combination with the desire to take whatever money is available, is why most of the tracks WEC attends next year will be Tilkedromes. The track can be Grade 2 for WEC purposes (something that would allow many tracks in the USA to be considered with a "mere" building/infrastructure upgrade) but the press facilities must be Grade 1.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:29:13 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 05:32:53 AM »
I didn't expect then to be in The 12 Hours. They could have a separate race at Sebring. After all, The ALMS and Grand Am will have separate races in Austin.

BTW, Audi expects to be on the grid for next year's 12 Hours of Sebring, despite the historic race's disappearance from the FIA World Endurance Championship schedule.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121004/alms/121009920#ixzz28URYmc46
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »
I didn't expect then to be in The 12 Hours. They could have a separate race at Sebring. After all, The ALMS and Grand Am will have separate races in Austin.

They could. After all, they managed in 2012, which would indicate Sebring's set-up is good enough. I wonder if they worried about inadvertently implying either the 12 Hour or the WEC race was inferior to the other (something that would not have been tolerated by either set of organisers).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »
I'll support the turbo if it means more engines blow up in the races.  Formula 1 needs more unreliability to spice up the results, and make the racing more tense in my view.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle