collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 487
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Schumi throws in towel for the second time  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Dare

Re: Schumi throws in towel for the second time
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »
I'm going to miss him,F1 won'tbe
the same again

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Irisado

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »
His comeback was a mistake in my view, as he was never going to be as good as he had been.  I also disagree with the majority here that it's a sad occasion, as I've never really had much time for his attitude when it came to chopping people at the start, forcing other drivers off the track, and benefiting from Ferrari's preferential treatment at the hands of the FIA during the Todt era.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Monty

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »
His comeback was a mistake in my view, as he was never going to be as good as he had been.  I also disagree with the majority here that it's a sad occasion, as I've never really had much time for his attitude when it came to chopping people at the start, forcing other drivers off the track, and benefiting from Ferrari's preferential treatment at the hands of the FIA during the Todt era

:DD This isn't me posting under a different name....honest.
But I really have to agree  :D

Online cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
I still have mixed feelings about Schumacher. Great talent but ultimately a dirty driver, sort of F1's Dale Earnhardt Sr. Still, I'm glad for the times I got to watch him race in person.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline romephius

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »
I'm prepared for the beating I will get for the following statement....

Schumacher is no worse than Senna, both were extrememly aggessive to the dangerous end of the scale, both have caused accidents to win... they are as dirty as eachother, but, for some reason Senna is a 'real' racer and legend in his own right, but, Schumacher is just a dirty driver?  Is it just because Senna died (don't speak ill of the dead)?  Both are dirty and both were larger than life personalities within the sport.  So, either both of them are legendary drivers, or, both are dirty drivers.  In my world it can't be something there is a double standard applied to.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 10:31:37 PM »
I think they were both. I never liked either of them, but I grew up with racing during a time when an accident was a 50/50 chance of a death. I think people do defer to Senna because he is dead. I watched that race and that car looked unstable right from the start. But also, I think people respect Senna as a huge talent, whereas MS was talented but achieved his success more through hard work and equipment advantages. Senna won in less competitive cars and Schu really hasn't.
Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 11:39:12 PM »
You are not wrong with that statement Rom.

Senna was a talent for sure but he had a real attitude off track and felt that he should be treated differently then ordinary drivers.
Schumi can be very dirty in the car but does not appear to have the same attitude as Senna did out of the car.
And it doesn't matter if he is dead, if he was an asshole he should be called one.

vintly

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 12:38:13 AM »
Senna had a heart.
Schumacher has a swinging brick.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 08:34:10 AM »

Schumacher is no worse than Senna, both were extrememly aggessive to the dangerous end of the scale, both have caused accidents to win... they are as dirty as eachother, but, for some reason Senna is a 'real' racer and legend in his own right, but, Schumacher is just a dirty driver?  Is it just because Senna died (don't speak ill of the dead)?  Both are dirty and both were larger than life personalities within the sport.  So, either both of them are legendary drivers, or, both are dirty drivers.  In my world it can't be something there is a double standard applied to.

Totally agree with that Rom.  :good: 

I've never personaly subscribed to the exhalted status that Senna is given, he was a great driver but for my money Prost was his equal, albeit with a different style. With Schumi however he too is great but has not had an equal that lasted the course of his championship years.

We have discussed many times how it's impossible to be objective about the comparitive merits of drivers from different eras, however it's possible to recognise over aggressive driving styles from any era, Ayrton and Michael, along with Niki Lauda, all fit the bill for me. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
The reason why I place Senna above Schumacher is because he a world championship when fighting against a world class team mate (Prost), and Schumacher did not.

Schumacher's championships at Ferrari also benefited from the team's cushy relationship with the FIA and Bridgestone.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online cosworth151

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »
Senna and Prost sort of remind me of Buddy Holly and Bill Hailey. Both were at the top of their profession at the same time. Contemporary sources rate them about equal. Holly died young, tragically at the height of his career. Hailey lived on into retirement. Now, Holly is idolized and Hailey is all but forgotten.

Was Senna really that much better than Prost?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »

The thing about Senna is that he displayed a passion which Schumacher simply does not. I am sure they were equally passionate about F1. But Senna is your Brazilian, "I have no choice" driven by God personality whereas Schumi is your "cold" Germanic perfectionist.  The former makes for better stardom...

Having said that, it's also a sign of the times. I find none of the current batch of drivers truly inspiring.  They may be great drivers, but they display almost no emotion. Perhaps only Hamilton and Alonso display some emotion on the track.

Go back to the 80s and you had Mansell, Senna, Prost, Piquet, Lauda, Berger and they all sweated these races to the bitter end (in Mansell's case literally, or that time when Prost tried to push his car over the line in Germany '86!). Perhaps I was just more impressionable back then (aged 10) but when a driver gets out of the car in Parc Ferme these days, he looks like he could go on to run a marathon...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle