collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 145
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11271 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hamilton to Mercedes confirmed today  (Read 13734 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Hamilton to Mercedes confirmed today
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 12:23:01 AM »
Regarding the Mercedes comparison with Toyota and Honda, I was under the impression that Merc was actually spending relatively little money (for a manufacturer) on its Formula 1 effort.

I could be wrong, and this may well have changed now that they have opened up more financial resources to secure Hamilton.  I seem to recall, however, Ross Brawn telling the BBC last year that Mercedes actually didn't have as much in the way of financial resources as some were suggesting.

I think this situation is changing, Ross and the team have been busy adding numbers to the payroll in the last few months to bring it up to the same sort of size as Red Bull and Macca, in particular they have been strengthening the areo and technical departments.

When Honda pulled out and the team became Brawn they had to halve the workforce for financial reasons, Merc's arrival allowed for some extra staff but it's only now that they have accepted the need to bring the factory and team up to the level of the front runners. This is another reason that Lewis is both needed and has agreed to sign on.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
I always worry about teams that are ultimately controlled by bean counters and this will always be the case when the team is owned by a major manufacturer (other than Fiat / Ferrari).

Recent history has only fuelled my concerns - Honda, Toyota, BMW

F1 teams have to have access to finance quickly, so they can react to situations as they arise. Big Corporates like gradual, planned, justified expense.

I can't see Mercedes giving Ross enough freedom to compete with McLaren, Red Bull, Ferrari and with lack of suitable freedom they could quickly come under threat from Sauber, Williams, etc.
I deliberately avoid commenting on Lotus because I really do not understand the ownership. Renaults involvement has always impressed me. For a company that stuggles to sell cars anywhere other than France, their commitment to Motor Sport is spectacular - just witness a World Renault Series event and you can't help but be impressed.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
Renaults involvement has always impressed me. For a company that stuggles to sell cars anywhere other than France, their commitment to Motor Sport is spectacular - just witness a World Renault Series event and you can't help but be impressed.

Don't forget Monty, they are the parent company of Nissan now, so their involvement in motorsports is impressively wide and varied...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle