collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 141
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel wins unchallenged -again  (Read 5433 times)

Offline Monty

Vettel wins unchallenged -again
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
I know it is unfair but am I alone in getting totally fed-up with Vettel's dominance. I can hardly blame the guy for being a brilliant driver in a brilliant car - but geez its getting boring!

There was a fair bit of racing in the lower orders and the excitement that Hamilton might catch Webber before the end of the race (only because Webber had suffered from his normal bad luck and the KERS had died).

I predicted a few races ago was that Vettel would clean up in Qualifying and race wins for the rest of the season and I'm really worried that my prediction is coming true!

Online cosworth151

Re: Vettel wins unchallenged -again
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:46:49 AM »
There was some good racing on down through the field. In fact, I don't remember seeing much of Vettel during the race coverage. I did get the thrill of watching my Grid Game picks go down the tubes one by one.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
I know it is unfair but am I alone in getting totally fed-up with Vettel's dominance. I can hardly blame the guy for being a brilliant driver in a brilliant car - but geez its getting boring!

I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe open up the DRS rules to start a lap earlier, or to activate with a 2 second gap...somehow stop him from getting out of reach before the DRS is permitted on lap 3.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »
Hmmm, this sounds all-too familiar...cough, cough, Michael Schumacher, cough.....

:D

Let the arguments commence in 3 - 2 - 1...GO!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Online Dare

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Just shows that people like you if your good but not too good.

I didn't like the winner every race we had earlier but Vettel
takes all the fun out of it,for me anyways
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 03:10:08 PM »
What bugs me most is the silly way that German boy does the #1 symbol, backwards, almost like he's giving us the middle finger.  See here for clarification: http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-105075917/stock-photo-hand-making-sign-number-one-isolated.html

;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »
What bugs me most is the silly way that German boy does the #1 symbol, backwards, almost like he's giving us the middle finger.  See here for clarification: http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-105075917/stock-photo-hand-making-sign-number-one-isolated.html

;)

I always think he's telling off the other drivers along the lines of: "Now this is how you drive an F1 car..."

As for the Vettel domination. As great as Vettel is,  I think the real factor is actually Adrian Newey. He's just head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to car design. What he has achieved at Red Bull says it all really. He's taken a very average team and in just 3 seasons produced an utterly dominant team.  Even Ferrari needed longer than that with Schumacher...

Of course I am not just saying that because we studied the same degree at Southampton University...

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »
I too do not enjoy Vettle's dominance.
It is very reminiscent of Schui in the early 2000's, which I also did not enjoy.

I suppose it comes don to wanting to see closer racing and not just backmarkers or midfield cars dicing while the lead cars run away with thew race.

At first Iliked the passing that DRS brought, but now it too is predictable and boring to watch.

I wish the cars were closer matched and the drivers abilities were what we are truly seeing.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
For the first time ever I fell asleep during F1 coverage.

This to me says it all. The racing was terrible. In fact all the interest seemed to be in the first 2 laps, before the DRS was activated. So I'd be suggesting the opposite to scott. The polesitter generally has a second's lead before the end of lap 1 anyway, so all enabling DRS does is get 2nd and 3rd too busy fighting each other to make a serious attempt at catching the polesitter.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »

I know it appears boring but  :stop: it's really up to the rest of field to catch up with the Bulls, and Vettel in particular. F1 has always had periods when a car, or car & driver combo, has been untouchable; the usual answer is big changes to the regs to take away whatever gives the dominant team it's edge. Hell they've even banned things after just a single race, anyone remember the Brabham fan car.

Lets see a change imposed banning this year's super multi layer front wings for a start, all the extra stress load tests have achieved is to create a really efficient tyre destroyer that punctures Pirellis with the merest kiss. 

Sadly the rules remain pretty constant next year so we can't really expect any major shake up until 2014 when the new breed of engines kick in. :(

Shame of it is some people are predicting boredom in F1 due to the 2014 engine changes,  ::)  - still at least it will be a different sort of boredom.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
When Schumacher dominated, it was a two dog fight between McLaren and Ferrari.

Renault had left the sport, and the Mechachrome/whatever engines could not compete.

Yes, RBR/Renault is at the top, but how many drivers/teams/engines have won this season?  Last season?  The season before?

Obviously it's tough to compare 'eras', but I think F1 is doing just fine, even if Vettel RBR has gotten it dialed in for four whole races.  (Just think, if that didn't happen, Alonso would have the championship sewn up by now.  How is THAT more exciting?)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 04:05:36 AM »
Actually, Vettel is doing it very much like Jim Clark. The difference is that the Lotus was notoriously unreliable. The current rules have resulted in extraordinarily reliable cars.
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »
I don't really care that Vettel is winning (although the waving finger does drive me nuts  :crazy:) it is just that he dissapears into the distance after the first corner and we are deprived of any racing.
Again I have to give him credit because a lot of this must be down to his total trust of the car on fairly cold tyres, but it is really boring to watch.
I agree that DRS should be enabled from the start, at least this might ensure other drivers can stay with him until all the cars get to optimum racing conditions.

Online Dare

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
just think how boring we'd be talking about if Seb
hadn't had the alternator failures?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
just think how boring we'd be talking about if Seb
hadn't had the alternator failures?

Could happen again, rumours suggest that Renault, or Red Bull, have run out of the 2011 style alternators that they switched back to after the probs.

Seems they have to run new versions, albeit modified from the earlier failed ones, for the last 3 races.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle