collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 243
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16172 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13013 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: COTA to Fans: You Can't Bring Anything!  (Read 2416 times)

Offline cosworth151

COTA to Fans: You Can't Bring Anything!
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
I just saw Circuit of the Americas list of banned items. I couldn't even take my camera tripod. (I wonder about monopods) No coolers. No cans. No video equipment. No audio equipment. No food or beverages. No musical instruments. No frisbees. No horns (Gee, like any F1 fans carry air horns) No balloons. No whistles. No bells. It just goes on and on. The link is to the entire list.

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/prohibited-items

Hopefully, no second race.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

Re: COTA to Fans: You Can't Bring Anything!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »
Und you vill enjoy yourselves, is zat understood, or it is off to ze Gulag.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:21:38 PM by Ian »
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »
I just saw Circuit of the Americas list of banned items. I couldn't even take my camera tripod. (I wonder about monopods) No coolers. No cans. No video equipment. No audio equipment. No food or beverages. No musical instruments. No frisbees. No horns (Gee, like any F1 fans carry air horns) No balloons. No whistles. No bells. It just goes on and on. The link is to the entire list.

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/prohibited-items

Hopefully, no second race.

I knew you couldn't bring marker pens (they're illegal in Texas unless you can explain why you are in possession of them, and illegal items generally aren't allowed in venues), but the full list is pretty astonishing. How can they ban bags larger than a typical rucksack? Also, banning water bottles from outside the venue is a really bad idea considering how hot the temperature is likely to be. There's no way the in-circuit stalls will cope with the demand - unless people are willing to risk passing out.

Admittedly, a lot of the list is banned at most other sporting venues too (name me any circuit that allows fireworks from individual spectators, for example). But some of the restrictions are needless and counterproductive.

Audio equipment appears to be fine as long as nobody is likely to be annoyed by it and it can't record anything - the latter will be to prevent Bernie yelling at them and is standard. So your radio or MP3 player, teamed with earphones or headphones of your choice is fine. Your ghetto blaster or microphone is not.

Monopods are probably a risk because they may or may not be interpreted as beyond personal photo requirements and/or a nuisance to other viewers.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »
It says you can bring bottled water Ali. But not food, people were having flaming picnics at Monza, cool boxes the lot, seems to me they are just trying to make a huge killing.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »

Just think about the huge difference in present day investment required in the infrastructure for Monza versus Cota. Monza is old and most of the major cost was put in years ago and has all but been written off, Cota on the other hand has a multi million debt so thay are bound to want to exploit every money raising source.

Ticket holders will have no choice this year, but Cota's real problem is convincing this season's spectators to return next year if they draw too much blood whilst fleecing them.  :( 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »
Pretty good point John.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:53:37 AM »
This list is very similar to the one Firebird Raceway uses for the NHRA Nationals. I'm sure the restriction on recording equipment is straight from Bernie.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 07:34:39 AM »
Pretty standard stuff.  The difference is how it is policed.  If COTA turns out to be like getting through airport screening, you can be sure motorsport fans will be very unimpressed.  Banning all F&B is Ok as long as they don't fleece you at the stalls (like John said).  

If they are trying to pay off debt in the first year, and price everything accordingly, i imagine there will be some empty bleachers next year.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »
Every morning of every day of every F1 week-end at Indy, I walked through the gate carrying a 64oz Diet Mt. Dew from the Speedway station right across Georgetown Road. I measured my camera bag last night - over by a half inch or more in all three dimensions. I've never had a bit of problem taking my monopod into any sporting venue. Try shooting a car going 180+ mph through a 400mm telephoto handheld. I promise you won't like the result.

I haven't heard any figures on ticket sales. I'll bet that if F1 does make the same mistake twice, next season will be even smaller.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
Cos, Indy is a fantastic facility, but F1 ain't coming back there, and it's Indy's choice not F1s. Unless you expect Bernie to give them a sweetheart deal.  :nono:
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 05:51:16 PM »
All it takes for evil to succeed is for good people to remain silent. It's obvious from this list, and the pricing, the lack of parking and so on that COTA doesn't care a hoot in hell about the fans. Not pointing that fact out won't make it any better.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle