collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 572
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Podium Profanity  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Cam

Podium Profanity
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:04:47 AM »
Am I the only one surprised that more hasn't been made of certain words used by both Kimi and Vettel on the podium in Abu Dhabi?   :DntKnw:

When Turkey can nearly lose the GP because they broke podium protocols I find it hard to beleive there aren't a few rules covering the drivers.  I don't consider myself a prude but I found it innapropriate. 

Somewhat related, there are stories floating around that teams are deliberately swearing during pit to car radio transmissions in order to avoid them being replayed on tv. Now that I do find amusing, although apparently the FIA is trying to figure out how to put a stop to it.

I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Podium Profanity
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:49:38 AM »
Unfortunately, I find people using profanity in conversation with me every day, very casually. When Rappers, comedians, rockers, in fact entertainers of all types use it as normal discourse, it is here to stay. I know people who cannot seem to speak a sentence without the f-bomb. F1 needs only to say that you lose points when you use bad language on the podium and it will stop, but they won't do that. As far as radio, use profanity and lose your radio for the next race, but they won't do that either.  :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 06:40:52 AM »
I'm pleased to say that I missed this and would make a complaint if it was possible as Ik has also sqaid I am no prude but it seems we now live in a culture where every other word is the F-bomb.
I do not use it in fact I rarely swear at all I find I can express myself quite well without it.
Maybe we should start a campaign to stop the use of profanities in public including F1.
I expect we would be told to F-off!!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:14 AM »
It seems to me, that in the name of expressing yourself, the media and the authority are passively encouraging such culture. And I am shocked that they have got away with this kind of behavior. They should maintain some code of conduct, at least in the podium and few areas. I don't care how and what are you saying that to your pit-crew or your boss in the radio, but I do mind when you use such languages in that position. If that makes me a prude, I am one, because I believe using profanities in public is not cool, and it makes you less of a man.

Mr. Vettel, keeps those words with your da da ding ding radio, not in the podium..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »
I am also surprised that more wasn't made of it, I'm not a prude either, hell, I worked on the railway for 21yrs in a predominately all male environment so I'm used to all the swear words you can imagine, but on the podium it's a big no-no, the pit radio is time delayed so they can either edit it or not broadcast it. Seb and Kimi should be given a strict talking to and told it is not acceptable.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »

Yeah it's totally unacceptable, especially as the sport is always trying to get kids and the family audience engaged.

The problem has arisen I think because of the dumb idea to put the drivers on the spot with interviews on the podium. Not only does it throw up stupid and long winded questions from people with little live media experience, it also leads to stupid answers at a time when the drivers are still on a high from the racing, the crowd's cheering, and the champagne spraying. Bring back the after race sit down, at least the change of scene to a more formal setting makes everyone realise they're on worldwide TV.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »
I'll go along with that John, 100%.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »
I think I mentioned it in chat, but Germans simply don't realize the F-bomb is any worse than darn, or bloody.  They drop it casually, in mixed company.  I've explained it to some and they are surprised to hear that to an English ear it's a pretty severe curse.  Maybe someone at RBR has also now had this same conversation with Vettel, or maybe Coulthard himself had time to explain it after the podium.  I had to explain it even to a friend of my 13yr old son, who used it more than a couple times while I was driving them home one day recently.  He thought it wasn't really that bad a word.  Probably tossed across the dinner table at his house.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »
AutoWeek did do a piece on it:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121107/f1/121109865#ixzz2BdPj7Yox

As for me, I agree with the author Caitlín R. Kiernan: “Language is a poor enough means of communication as it is. So we should use all the words we have.”

Or, as Lenny Bruce said when he was arrested for dropping the F-bomb on stage, "I just said it. I didn't do it!"
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
DC apologised for the swearing, pointing out that neither driver is a native English speaker.  When you learn your English in a competitive setting like motorsport, you're going to hear a lot of casual swearing, and it's hard to know how to translate that.  Knowing that 'fudge' is fine, but 'f-ck' is bad seems a tad arbitrary.

Some of the worst swear words in Quebec would surprise you when translated to English, and you wouldn't see what the big deal is either.

I agree, getting the drivers who are still pumped with adrenaline from the race, and excited about celebrations isn't going to get their best, in terms of manners or thought.  Let them sit down, cool off and compose their thoughts.

(However, I do believe that Kimi swore on purpose, as a way of demonstrating that pushing him 'to say a few more words' is a bad idea.)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »
(However, I do believe that Kimi swore on purpose, as a way of demonstrating that pushing him 'to say a few more words' is a bad idea.)

:DD :DD :DD  You could well be right, Jeri.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

David

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
I'm no prude either, in fact the F word is almost a part of everyday language in my part of the world, and believe it or not it can be used in a term of endearment!! However professional sportsmen being watched on TV worldwide by people of all ages and cultures should be more responsible with the words they use. It's Fu**ing ridiculous!  :DD

David

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »
Looks like the FIA have issued a warning and any further incidents will lead to disciplinary action. Good call IMO.

Unbelievable that the Beeb got more complaints about the delay putting the rerun on iPlayer than about the swearing. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20253052

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »
Finally FIA makes some sense.. Though I don't mind having a podium interview, it gives something for the spectators, which should not be bad...

But language is something that they should not meddle with, having the biggest number of TV viewership does come with some obligation, and all must abide by that..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »
In Vettel's case, I think it was an accident. I think that Vettel worked harder in that race than I've ever seen from him. He came from way back in the pack, twice, made it to the podium and saved his points lead. He was, no doubt, exhausted and excited. And, as DC said, English is not Seb's first language.

Kimi, on the other hand, has a history of this. Remember the day that Schumi retired the first time, at Interlagos?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle