collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 381
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hispania Up For Sale  (Read 11530 times)

Offline Irisado

Hispania Up For Sale
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
The full story is here.

I hope that a buyer is found, because I actually like this team, and there has to be some potential there when you consider how poorly they've performed in the opening race in Melbourne for the last two years, only to qualify for all the remaining races.  That doesn't just happen by accident.

De la Rosa's also driven the wheels off that car at times this year, as it really shouldn't be outqualifying anyone, and he's managed to mix it with Marussia at several tracks.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Hispania Up For Sale
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »

Sounds like a last ditch attempt to salvage something before they are forced to close the doors, if this story from Nextgen-Auto website is true. Looks likely that there will only be 11 teams on the grid next year unless Bernie is feeling generous to any would be saviour.

Before the official confirmation that HRT was for sale, it was reported by Spain’s El Confidencial on Monday that the struggling team had dismissed 32 employees, and needed a buyer before December to avoid closure.

HRT, owned by Thesan Capital since last July, swiftly confirmed that it is "in talks with a number of groups interested in buying the team".

The media statement said Thesan wants to complete a deal within weeks, adding that "the time has come for the team to continue growing with new financial backing".

The new owners would be HRT’s fourth since the team’s inception in 2009

Nextgen-Auto.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
I hate to see the small teams go, but I think it will take a miracle to save it. None of today's indies seem to inspire the same feelings as did teams like Minardi, Jordan and Super Aguri.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
I know that an F1 team is a bigger investment than an IndyCar team, but IndyCar has had 'celebrity' owners who love racing and put money into the sport.

I see enough celebrities in those FIA race edits, surely Bernie could entice them to get involved.  Who wouldn't want to sponsor a team partly owned by, say, the Beckhams?

Offline Irisado

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
Who wouldn't want to sponsor a team partly owned by, say, the Beckhams?

Me.

It's the same old story of small teams not being given enough assistance by the powers that be in terms of how the funding in the sport is divided up.  Yes, Formula 1 is a meritocracy, but you don't get anywhere without having a decent number of independent teams on the grid, as the sport found out in 2009.  As per usual though, they're repeating the same mistakes.

For what it's worth, I think that someone will buy the team, although I have my doubts about that someone being from Spain, in view of the current financial situations there.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »
Too bad, I thought they will be around around one or two year..

Though I will not be missing much, because other than being a regular count of DNF, they have not shown anything to remember..

And they would be struggling for sure, because they were always lagging behind in every way..

I thought they will push it a bit more...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

David

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
Team Schumacher??  :DntKnw:

Interesting thought.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:36:19 AM »
Bernie feels the same way about teams he does about tracks. There is always a new one ready to jump in. Why support them?
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:53:04 AM »
Team Schumacher??  :DntKnw:

Interesting thought.

And there will be bombardment from Monty f it ever happens.. :DD :DD

I am sure Bernie gets something out of every deal made for the teams, so why dry up your golden egg laying swan? Bernie does not care what happens to team, he will be just pleased to have his account in offshore banks is swelling...

And at times to prove to the old F1 loyalist, he makes some comments like petrolhead..

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
Bernie feels the same way about teams he does about tracks. There is always a new one ready to jump in. Why support them?

That's not the case.  There was a shortage of F1 teams for years during the 2000s, and we still don't have a full grid under the current regulations.  As we saw from the bidding process prior to 2010, there were not that many credible proposals, and if Hispania goes to the wall, that's two fewer seats for drivers, and it's hard enough to get into F1 with the current number of seats on offer without diminishing them.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 03:55:51 AM »
I agree, but Bernie doesn't. He thinks no one will miss HRT. He really doesn't care.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 05:56:43 AM »
 >:D >:D BERNIE  >:D >:D

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:09 AM »
I agree, but Bernie doesn't. He thinks no one will miss HRT. He really doesn't care.

You are sadly correct.

I will miss them, so he's wrong about this, as he is about so many things.  He's an odious character, and I'll be happy when we no longer have to put up with him.  He does nothing to help even out the financial situation in F1, when he's more than able to do so.

If Hispania is sold, I just hope that whoever buys it, returns to calling it Hispania, because the HRT acronym is really awful in English.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 06:49:38 AM »
Wonder who will buy a team, which a bit away from the F1 heartland, and a bit away from the places, and requires substantial amount of investment to improve it to a respectable team. And given the current situation of the financial market, it will be highly unlikely to see this team running in the next season.

Initially when the team started, I was hoping a new Minardi type of team, but unfortunately it never was.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »

I'm sure Bernie would love F1 to be filled with 13 competitive, well funded teams that have solid futures, extensive sponsorship and star drivers with personalities to match.  It would make his job much easier.

However, an F1 team that can't make it's bills, can't qualify for races paints the entire sport with a bad brush.  If HRT is flimsy, is it worth investing in Marussia, or even Sauber or Williams?  (I know the answer here is 'yes', but for the people actually investing in the teams who don't know much about the sport?)

I don't want to see HRT go, but I don't want to see them infecting F1 with a sense of doom either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle