collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 423
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hispania Up For Sale  (Read 11533 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: Hispania Up For Sale
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 04:17:15 AM »
Sauber brought Petronas and Red Bull into the sports, and look where they are now. Petronas is a title holder of a team, and Red Bull have a team of its own, which just won three consecutive WCC.

Williams do have bad patches, but still they try to keep things going..

Nothing to talk about Marussia though, I have a feeling they are just expensive billboards, that runs around at 200 mph, in various racetrack of the world, whole year...

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 09:29:16 AM »

Nothing to talk about Marussia though, I have a feeling they are just expensive billboards, that runs around at 200 mph, in various racetrack of the world, whole year...

I wouldn't write Marussia off just yet BD, they've got Pat Symonds on board now and have moved their operation into the F1 hinterland to help with recruitment of experienced staff. They are the most improved of the back marker teams this year and are only just starting to get their hands on Kers and other goodies that make competing in midfield possible. Remember also they are carrying that Cosworth lump in their car, sorry Cos but it's not really up to the job - ask Williams, and the sooner they get another power plant the sooner they will move forward.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

vintly

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 11:29:17 AM »
I agree, Marussia are sounding quite bullish for next year, and now just ahead of Caterham on results. I have a sideways interest in this team as my Dad, still an English teacher, taught Max Chilton at Ardingly school. Max has been tagged with the 'pay driver' label, and his uber-rich father has certainly fuelled his motorsport career to date. It remains to be seen how good he is (if indeed he gets Pic's place), but he had a strong finish to the GP2 season, and I'll be watching with interest for sure. With Russian money behind it, and a Russian GP coming up, I wouldn't be surpised to see them have a much better season next year.

Recent article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104201

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
I hope Marussia really do well in the sports. Yeah I agree they are struggling with KERS, and Cosworth engine, and with these things sorted out, I hope they will make some great races. Although due to result, Marussia is ahead, but for me I would say Caterham is being really great this season, where they are catching up Torro Rosso.

I really hope they make a great fight, take it to next level in 2013..

Offline Irisado

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
Initially when the team started, I was hoping a new Minardi type of team, but unfortunately it never was.

I had the same hope, but providing it remains an independent, I feel that it could still be.  It all depends on the new owners.

I'm sure Bernie would love F1 to be filled with 13 competitive, well funded teams that have solid futures, extensive sponsorship and star drivers with personalities to match.  It would make his job much easier.

I doubt that.  In the past he has been in favour of three car teams, and is also on the record as saying that the people he brings to races wouldn't care if there were only sixteen cars on the grid.  His attitude is one of the problems with the management of F1 in my opinion.

However, an F1 team that can't make it's bills, can't qualify for races paints the entire sport with a bad brush.  If HRT is flimsy, is it worth investing in Marussia, or even Sauber or Williams?  (I know the answer here is 'yes', but for the people actually investing in the teams who don't know much about the sport?)

I don't want to see HRT go, but I don't want to see them infecting F1 with a sense of doom either.

Hispania has hardly infected Formula 1 with doom and gloom, and the team has remained very positive this year, despite the problems.  I think that Luis Perez Sala has done a pretty good job, all things considered, to keep the team going.

Regarding Marussia, they are improving, so I think that we'll see them move forward in terms of pace, if not grid position, next year.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 05:21:51 AM »
Definitely HRT did a good job, because they were lagging so much behind the chassis design in the beginning of the season, it was inevitable that they will struggle this much. And also the fact that they are not equipped with as much fund as the big teams, that could strive great performances out of the car, with barrage of updates, I think they have done a decent job. But for the fact that only decent job will not ensure your stay in the grid, and if your current owner is only concern of making quick term profit, I really wonder how much the team has the possibility of achieving the things many of their fans hope for.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »
It's true that they need a more F1 oriented ownership, if that makes sense.  If they could get someone who's a good business person, and a passionate F1 fan, then they would probably be able to make a step forward, but that's a big 'if'.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »
I hate to put cold water in your optimism Irisado, but the reality is that if that someone with all the qualities you have mentioned walks around the paddock, he will be more interested in Force India (Though they deny their financial troubles, they are in a pretty bad mess) rather than HRT.

These days the demands are so much that is very difficult for people to keep a team afloat, let alone making it successful.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »
In the past Bernie has supported the idea of customer cars. Maybe he feels that if HRT or FIF1 go under, the FIA will reconsider in order to fill the field.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
Sounds reasonable.  If I was going to buy an F1 team for a bargain, I'd be looking at Force India long before Hispania.  Whatever problems they've had in the boardroom, on the track they've been progressing at a good pace. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 03:12:31 AM »
And they could have pulled out a great win in Brazil. Because when they were leading the race they looked really worthy of winning the race. And also this team have stacked up points upto 100 without visiting the podium for single time, now that says a lot about consistency, and also a lot about their driver as well.

It was unlucky for Nico to loose his backside..

Offline Irisado

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »
Customer cars are a terrible idea in my view.  The solution is to actually pay the teams at the back a more generous share of the revenue, as well as the teams at the front.  This involves Ecclestone actually being fair in terms of how much money he takes vis ā vis the teams, which we all know won't happen, as the man doesn't know the meaning of the word.

Finally, as I posted in the other thread, it is the end for Hispania, it's ignominious, and I'm very disappointed.  I was going to write something of a short send off in Spanish, but I'm feeling too bitter about it at the moment, so perhaps another time.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
It depends on the definition of "customer cars." Super Agrui did quite well with Honda's year old hand-me-downs. As a rule, though, I wouldn't want to see current teams selling cars to the independents. A better idea might be for third party builders, like Dallara or Lola (if they survive) building cars to the small teams. They have the infrastructure already in place. That would leave the independents free to concentrate their time and money on running the races.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
You want Lola back in F1 cos? Bring it on baby..

Offline Irisado

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »
It depends on the definition of "customer cars." Super Agrui did quite well with Honda's year old hand-me-downs. As a rule, though, I wouldn't want to see current teams selling cars to the independents. A better idea might be for third party builders, like Dallara or Lola (if they survive) building cars to the small teams. They have the infrastructure already in place. That would leave the independents free to concentrate their time and money on running the races.

A good point.

I have no problem with Dallara or Lola supplying chassis.  The former did that for Scuderia Italia between 1988 and 1992, while the latter did it for Larrousse in the late 1980s, and early 1990s, and for Scuderia Italia in 1993 (to spectacularly limited effect in the case of the latter).  I never had an issue with that, and I still don't.

What I don't want to see is the return of hand me down chassis from the bigger teams.  That's just creating monopolies, and forcing out independents as constructors in everything bar the name.  As much as Super Aguri were a plucky team, they were at the mercy of Honda, and when the B team outperformed the A team, the writing was already on the wall.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle