collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari Fixes Race Start  (Read 5827 times)

Offline cosworth151

Ferrari Fixes Race Start
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
Ferrari has pulled another fast one. They've cracked a seal on Massa's gearbox, giving him a 5 place grid penalty. This was done to move Alonso from over to the clean side of the track for the start. Massa didn't look happy.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

Re: Ferrari Fixes Race Start
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:13:18 PM »
Red Bull has now issued a statement that they will not respond to Ferrari's actions. RBR could have followed suit and sabotaged Webber's car to move Alonso back to the dirty side of the track.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:19:23 PM »
What a lot of fuss about nothing, there's no ban on team orders so no problem.
Red Bull would have been stupid to move Webber from his 3rd on the grid to put Nando another place forward but on to the dirty side, and in front of Webber incidentally.  ::)

In the mists of time teams called drivers in to give their cars to others to gain championship points, and how many times have no 2 drivers had to swap chassis, or even a whole car before the start of race, in the T car era.

Where tracks have a clear disadvantage for the even numbered grid slots they should move the positions level with the uneven side to make it fair for all. Can't be right that starting 3rd on the grid is better than being 2nd, ad infinitum.  :nono:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:23:46 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

David

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »
What's the fuss, sensible move IMO.  :DntKnw:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 01:35:28 AM »
I have to admit, I'm enjoying Ferrari trying new tricks.

Earlier they tried using Massa to 'tow' Alonso for qualifying.  It didn't work, but kudos for trying something new. 

We can't leave ALL the innovations for the drafting tables, can we?

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
As it turned out, the dirty side wasn't so bad.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »

Really I tought all the left side starters lost places at the start, whilst Alonso gained three. Now I call that the right call.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:03:44 PM »
In my view, it wasn't terribly sporting, but Ferrari did a lot worse during the Schumacher era, and number two drivers have historically had to give way to their number one team mates in all sorts of ways.  As a result, while I don't particularly like it, I fully understand why Ferrari felt the need to do it, especially in view of the state of the track surface.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »
Ahem, not only the Schumacher era. "Fernando is faster than you."
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

David

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »

Really I tought all the left side starters lost places at the start, whilst Alonso gained three. Now I call that the right call.

My observation also.  :good:

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 03:36:32 AM »
Though people may think that the winner started from the dirty side from the dirty side of the track, but Mark Webber getting a great start, as well as Alonso proves that it was right move from the Ferrari..

And it also shows, that Hamilton hunted down 2 Red Bulls in this 56 laps race and scored one of the astonishing victory.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »
Ahem, not only the Schumacher era. "Fernando is faster than you."

I agree, however, there was a lot more of that in the Schumacher era, and there were even more curious charades, such as the infamous spongy brakes incident on Irvine's car at the A1 Ring in 1998, which was even called on the commentary by Martin Brundle before the end of the race.

There was also Ferrari's preferential treatment deal with the FIA during the Schumacher era, tyres designed specifically for the car, and various other dodgy incidents, including winning the 1998 race at Silverstone in the pit lane.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 07:03:45 AM »
Fangio jumped into his team-mate's car, and finished the race. It was legal, so was Ferrari's move. And it indeed helped Fernando Alonso to limit damage as less as possible. They do not have an out and out fastest car, but somehow they are in a position to challenge till the end.

But I am sure FIA will have something to say in the next year's regulation regarding this.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »
Fangio jumped into his team-mate's car, and finished the race. It was legal, so was Ferrari's move. And it indeed helped Fernando Alonso to limit damage as less as possible. They do not have an out and out fastest car, but somehow they are in a position to challenge till the end.

But I am sure FIA will have something to say in the next year's regulation regarding this.

Before the FIA starts tinkering with the regs to stop team tactics they should first look seriously at why the team felt compelled to take the action. I say again that it can't be right that the 2nd spot on the grid can be worse to start from than 3rd, but that's just what we had in Austin.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 03:59:34 AM »

Before the FIA starts tinkering with the regs to stop team tactics they should first look seriously at why the team felt compelled to take the action. I say again that it can't be right that the 2nd spot on the grid can be worse to start from than 3rd, but that's just what we had in Austin.

Could not agree more Jonh, but I wonder what FIA could have done to prevent it. I agree to the fact, it is absolutely unjust to have 2nd place driver have worse way of starting than 3rd place driver. And being a new circuit where the race was held for the first time, you will always have such problems.

I could think of '90 Suzuka where Ayrton had the famous crash with Alain, when he was put in the dirty side of the track, by a last minute change of the pole position.

I think in Hungary we have such difficulty of dirty side of the track, because that is a track which is very rarely used, hence have such problems. It is nothing new in this sports, and wonder FIA will do anyhing about it at all...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle