collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 508
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Monty

Heroes
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »
Sorry if someone has already started this somewhere else but I just wanted to sing the praises of some of the drivers at Austin (oh and have a rant about Schumacher).

It was a great race and my man Button drove a great race from a difficult starting position.
Biggest praise goes to Jenson and Kimi - that is how professional racing drivers deal with overtaking!!
Praise also to Hamilton and Vettel for keeping some excitement at the front (although Vettel really let himself down with the pathetic whinging about Hamilton overtaking - Vettel should think himself lucky that his last minute weaving didn't cause a horrific crash).
Also a nod to Hulk, Maldanado and Senna for some mid-pack fights.

As for Schumacher....... thank goodness he is going. What did he think he could achieve (other than risking killing someone) by pushing much faster cars almost off the track when they were overtaking him. The man is a danger to everyone on the track!

Offline Scott

Re: Heroes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
Heroes:

I give the biggest thumbs up to Hamilton.  He had to keep a .3 gap for the last 10 laps, and he managed to quite well.  Not a fan of his, but  I hope he enjoys what could well be his last F1 trophy.

Alonso and Kimi.  Tough old farts who just never give up.  Soooo glad Vettel finished 2nd.  Brasil and rain could equal an Alonso championship. 

Too bad Buttons KERS died at the end.  Glad it didn't lead to an end like Webber.

Maldonado, Senna, Hulk and Grossjean all deserve driving merit badges, even if all had small mistakes early on (Grossjean's was rather large).

Massa - I didn't know about the gearbox seal.  I didn't hear the why in my coverage.  Well, hopefully he is not surprised and will just settle in for his swan song ride at Ferrari and retire at the end of next year.  Great drive for I think the third time this year (that I've mentioned him as a hero).

Zeroes:

RBR - why does Webber's car break so much more often than Vettel's? 

Vettel - cry me a river you spoiled brat.  Hamilton does the best pass he can manage with Vettel trying to slam into him, and Vettel complains???  How embarrassing it must be.  Vettel seems like such a likeable guy in interviews, but then acts like such a weasel on the track and the radio.

Schumacher - kamikaze defence.  Lucky he didn't take anyone out.  I like him, I feel sorry for him that things haven't worked out at Mercedes.  What really surprises me is that someone like Hamilton may actually think he can possibly do more with the Merc than Michael.  I don't see that happening.  Hopefully Ross Brawn had started working on the new Merc, oh I don't know, maybe by the time the European season started, and abandoned any development of this car, because it just stinks, and I doubt anyone can do anything about it.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
Heroes, already all been said.

Zero...Tilke's huge high speed run-offs, apart from those I liked the circuit.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

vintly

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »
Vettel - cry me a river you spoiled brat.  Hamilton does the best pass he can manage with Vettel trying to slam into him, and Vettel complains???  How embarrassing it must be.  Vettel seems like such a likeable guy in interviews, but then acts like such a weasel on the track and the radio.

Vettel wasn't whining about Hamilton's move, he was whining about being held up a few turns before (by Karthikeyan I think) that allowed Hamilton to catch up. I'm not saying he wasn't whining, just clarifying. This was correctly picked up at the time by Coulthard on BBC but not by the Sky commentators, who assumed like the rest of us that he was whining about Hamilton's move.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:32:48 PM »
I had a Sky feed for this race.  Commentary is really second class compared to BBC in my opinion.  Thanks for clarifying Vintly, but most of the time I still think Vettel is a spoiled brat.  He moans almost every time he doesn't win.  And I wonder if Hamilton complained about Vettel's zig zag in the DRS zone.

vintly

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:37:29 PM »
Yep, his flashes of petulance do him no favours. With any luck he'll win in Brazil from the front so we won't have to hear any more of it for a while.  ;)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »
Yep, his flashes of petulance do him no favours. With any luck he'll win in Brazil from the front so we won't have to hear any more of it for a while.  ;)

We'd just have to put up with his finger and 'yes baby' remarks which are just as bad :(.

My hero of the race was Narain Karthikeyan, while my zeroes were Schumacher and the whole Mercedes team collectively for a thoroughly lousy race performance, and the fact that the circuit designers failed regarding the gravel traps again.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

David

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »

As for Schumacher....... thank goodness he is going. What did he think he could achieve (other than risking killing someone) by pushing much faster cars almost off the track when they were overtaking him. The man is a danger to everyone on the track!

I have always been an MS fan, well from his Ferrari days anyway. However I have to agree he was playing silly buggers with his stupid tactics at the US GP. Hate to say it but I'm glad he's off too, before he wrecks my opinion of him totally.

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:29 PM »
What gets me is if Mercedes finally get a good car next year or the
year after Hamilton and his fans will think he's responsible for the
Mercedes turn around.

If the car is much improved I hope Rosberg smokes his drawers
and I'm not a big Nico fan either
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 03:51:31 AM »
Vettel is a sore loser, and who is not. And he said all those words in a pit radio, so cannot they be given a little freedom regarding their communication with pit crew. They will show disappointments, illogical argument, their despise and frustration..

Just because he was a cry baby with his crew, does not make himself a zero. This guy really pushed the race to the limit. Ok if not a hero, but zero? People I understand your frustration with this guy for making races mundane and boring, but he got to do what he does best..

Regarding Schumi, well he has a reputation for being the tough one to pass, so he was just being himself.. ;)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 04:22:35 AM »
Heroes:    Massa. He was faster than Nando in every Q session and then was once again slapped down. He responded by pulling himself up to 4th only 6 seconds Back of Ferd.
              Hamilton. He dealt with Webber then kept the pressure on Vettel until he got a break in traffic then made a great pass and controlled the gap to the finish.

Button, Ricciardo both had excellent races, too bad Daniel didn't make the points.

Zeroes:    None really. A great race up and down the field.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 06:33:37 AM »
Just because he was a cry baby with his crew, does not make himself a zero.

Heroes and Zeroes is more a place where we can voice our opinions on how a driver added to or subtracted, to or from a race.  It's not just about track performance, but how that person (or sometimes team - and don't forget Tilke or Bernie is often mentioned) affected that particular race for each of us. 

When I had the mistaken impression (thanks Sky) that Vettel was complaining about a perfectly legitimate pass by Hamilton, it spoiled it for me with Vettel.  I was happy to see him passed, and I grant he did a good race to that point (and kept Hamilton honest to the end), but his comments turned him to a zero for me. 

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »
Dear Scott, you are being a tad little harsh with our young German here..I mean for the sake of heaven Scott, judged only because of what he felt being passed? And that is also not in media, not in a press conference, but over the radio..

I am not sure about Narain involvement, but given the history between these two, he may be facing a reprimand for sure, if not any grid penalty.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »
No no, you should look back to when Schumacher was dominating.  Just cause he won a race, didn't make him a hero of some people ;). I feel the same way about Vettel.  Just because he is driving the fastest car with possibly the best design team in F1, and arguably the second best funded team in F1, does not give him the RIGHT to win a race, nor be a 'hero' in my eyes. 

But back on topic, I'll scratch him from my zero list because I mistakenly thought the comment referred to the pass by Hamilton.  Still won't get a hero mention though.  He's still a whiner though, even the team's response about how he should pay attention to the things at hand indicate they know this behavior by him.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »
I am not sure about Narain involvement, but given the history between these two, he may be facing a reprimand for sure, if not any grid penalty.

If Karthikeyan is penalised for that, then it would be a disgrace.  He didn't deliberately hold Vettel up, he didn't exceed the blue flag/marshal post limits, Vettel just caught him at the worst possible point on the track.  Had Hamilton not been following so closely behind, it wouldn't even have been a talking point.

If we're going to start going down the road of penalising back markers for not driving off the track every time the leaders come up behind them, then it's getting silly.  I mean, today's drivers really have nothing to complain about when compared to the sorts of things that Arnoux got up to at the tail end of his career when driving for Ligier (Monaco 1989 springs to mind).
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle