collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 128
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: No drive for Kobayashi in 2013  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Dare

No drive for Kobayashi in 2013
« on: December 18, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
While not my favorite driver I believe Kobi
deserved a seat in 13

From Planet F1

Kamui Kobayashi has brought a halt to fundraising efforts to get him a race-seat in 2013, conceding defeat.

The Japanese driver began a fundraising campaign last month in an attempt to gain the necessary funds required to get an F1 next season. Over £1.35m had been raised but the former Sauber driver has decided that the mission is not destined for success.

"Thank you for the big support. I am very appreciated that many of you have donated and trying to make donation," Kobayashi wrote to his fans on his official website.

"I must mention this that since the donation started, it has become quite big news in Japan. And because of your big support, it gave huge influences to some of Japanese companies and I started receiving good support from them.

And I was in the position to bring a budget of 8 million Euro at least. If you could imagine the time I had, it was overwhelming reaction and it shows there still is a great potential from Japanese companies.

"Unfortunately, the time was still short and I am not able to secure the seat with competitive F1 team for 2013. I have to admit that it is very sad and feel sorry for fans and Japanese companies who supported me. But I am still confident to make it happen in 2014.

"I would like to stop the donation for now and while I will save all the money for 2014, I start to look what is the best option for 2013 and also 2014. My main priority is to secure the competitive F1 seat in 2014.

"I have no interests to race any other categories.

I will make an announcement as soon as I make a decision for 2013."

The 26-year-old first burst onto the F1 scene in 2009 when he replaced an injured Timo Glock at Toyota for two races.

Having made an immediate impression, Kobayashi joined Sauber for 2010 where he spent three seasons, scoring a total of 126 points for the team. A third place finish at this year's Japanese Grand Prix was Kobayashi lone podium finish.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: No drive for Kobayashi in 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »
It's certainly a numbers game.  There are a lot of young drivers with the talent to win F1 races in the right car.

If I ran an F1 team, I'd rather use a driver with F1 experience over one without... but if the inexperienced driver brings in twice as much money, it's probably worth giving up a couple of points in the standings to a midfield team.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
Kobi should have tied this business part of the racing a long ago. Does he deserved to out of the F1, no. But still there are lot of issues that should not have happened, he have to abide the things that are now.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
I don't blame it entirely on him.  I'm more surprised that there isn't a lineup in Japan to sponsor him for 10's of millions.   :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »
I don't blame it entirely on him.  I'm more surprised that there isn't a lineup in Japan to sponsor him for 10's of millions.   :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

While I don't read the business news closely, even I know there aren't many Japanese companies with spare 10's of millions these days...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »
I've read that he plans to try for a 2014 ride. I hope he makes it. He has flashes of talent. He certainly has kept things exciting, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:58 AM »
Pity.  Ok, he's probably no world champion to be, but he is exciting and hugely talented and seems to have bags of personality.  F1 needs a Japanese driver, and in KK we had quite a good one.  Come back soon KK.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
Pity.  Ok, he's probably no world champion to be, but he is exciting and hugely talented and seems to have bags of personality.  F1 needs a Japanese driver, and in KK we had quite a good one.  Come back soon KK.
:good: :good: :good:

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »
He want to to secure a drive in 2014, and that makes me think, if someone who wasn't able to make 2013 seat, how on earth will he consider himself for 2014, when the regulation changes takes place, and I assumes teams will not be interested in changing drivers. But he could make sure that he can bring money with him, well anytime will be a good time for him.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »
While I don't read the business news closely, even I know there aren't many Japanese companies with spare 10's of millions these days...

There are hundreds, if not thousands of Japanese companies with multimillion$ advertising budgets.  I didn't mean one company would sponsor him for $10m, just that he should be able to pick that up between a few.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 02:55:23 AM »

There are hundreds, if not thousands of Japanese companies with multimillion$ advertising budgets.  I didn't mean one company would sponsor him for $10m, just that he should be able to pick that up between a few.

I think Japanese companies does not want to be a global brand, that is why we see few number of companies sponsorship in F1. If you look at Japanese GT championship, I am sure you will see there are hundreds of companies there who have the ability to give KK what he wants..

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 07:29:30 AM »
Sony?  They've made 10's of millions off Playstation by people who want to play F1 games alone...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »
Sony?  They've made 10's of millions off Playstation by people who want to play F1 games alone...

Yes, but they just discontinued the Walkman (No, I didn't know they still made it, either).

I think there will be a few of the 2013 rookies who won't have a sophomore year in 2014. Also, a few veterans my retire at the end of next season. Hopefully, Koby can find a way back in.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »

Sony has posted a record $5.3 billion loss as reported upto March 2012, and has been loosing for the last eight year. So I don't think KK will have sponsorship from this particular company.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18015791

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 12:21:07 PM »
It's a shame to see him go, but he has lost some of his flare this year, and did seem resigned to his fate towards the end of the season.  I hope that he does make a comeback sooner rather than later, as he's certainly a solid midfield runner.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle