collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 315
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'Lack of respect cost Heikki'  (Read 3472 times)

Online Dare

'Lack of respect cost Heikki'
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »
from Planet F1

Heikki Kovalainen has only himself and his management to blame for not continuing with Caterham, according to Mike Gascoyne.

After three seasons with the backmarker outfit, Kovalainen, who previously raced for McLaren and Renault, has been left without a seat for this year's Championship.

The Finn recently admitted his "surprise" at failing to land a drive, saying he thought "after last season and the last couple of years I thought I'd be in a better position on the market."

And although Caterham still have one place open for this season and could theoretically retain Kovalainen, Gascoyne has ruled the 31-year-old out of the running.

"It is actually a great shame," the Caterham Group technical officer told crash.net.

"Heikki is a very talented driver, but last year his management did not handle him very well and he has not done himself any favours.

"It is a tough environment out there for everyone. He has had three years with Caterham, was paid well, and he should have shown more respect about that."

As for the one driver Caterham have signed for this season, Charles Pic, Gascoyne admits finances did play a role.

"Charles is a young guy," he said. "He has some financial backing and he has done a decent job against a more experienced team-mate, Timo Glock.

"Let's see now if he rises to the occasion."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:45:34 PM by Dare »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: 'Lack of respect cost Heikki'
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »

Maybe lack of performance is also a big contributing factor, Heikki finished the season three places behind his teamate in the final standings after all.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:36:59 PM »
I put Heikki in the class with other drivers that
had a drive with a top team and under achieved.
DC is another
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »
Agreed - he had his chance to wow at Ferrari and didn't.  Opportunity missed.  Not fair, but F1 rarely is.

Oops, for some reason my sunburned head was thinking of Mika Salo   :-[
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:21:51 PM by scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:58:26 PM »
Heikki drove for a good team (Renault) and a great team (McLaren) and in those three seasons failed to impress.  I think he was somewhat fortunate to have got an extra three seasons. 

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »
Heikki's overall performance was not as consistent as the outfit expected to be. And when they compare it with Vitaly Petrov, I think the team realizes that he had done almost the same job with salary as the driver who brings the money to the team. Though initially I was disappointed to see this guy, but after thinking about it, I think Caterham have done something that they have to do in order to survive. Hopefully they will pick up from the next season..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:09:24 AM »
I will never make it as a team owner because I want Heikki in the sport because he seems to be a nice guy! He is always smiling, he makes himself available to fans (in my experience) and I think he is a good ambasador for the sport.
I know the results were not great in 2012 but my unreliable memory seems to think that he had quite a lot of bad luck that was not of his making. I still rate him as a driver.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »
On the whole, he wasn't as impressive as he had been in his two previous seasons with Caterham, but he was nowhere near as poor as Trulli had been, so I'm disappointed that he didn't get another year.  Assuming the car is close enough to challenge for places in Q2, I think that he would have driven as he had in 2010, and 2011.

It was clear that he was losing patience with the management of the team towards the end of the year though, so the writing was on the wall.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle