collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 165
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16165 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12995 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Nurburgring in, but only 19 races  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Dare

Nurburgring in, but only 19 races
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »
   from F1 Planet
Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed there will only be 19 races on the 2013 calendar and the Nurburgring will be one of the venues.

The FIA announced late last year that this season would consist of 20 races with an unconfirmed European grand prix on July 21 added to the schedule and the venue for the German GP yet to be named.

Media reports later suggested that the Turkish Grand Prix at Istanbul Park, which was dropped after the 2011 season, could make a return while France and Austria were also mooted as possible venues.

However, there will be no 20th race after Ecclestone told Reuters 'the 2013 calendar will feature 19 races after Turkey's failed bid to return'.

The Formula One boss also confirmed that the Nurburgring will host this year's German Grand Prix, ruling Hockenheim out.

"It should be the Nurburgring and we are trying to make it happen," he said. "I'm talking with them today [Tuesday]."

Meanwhile a spokesperson for Nurburgring told GPUpdate.net: "The German Grand Prix is not confirmed yet. We are still in talks and we are currently waiting for a response to our proposal."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Nurburgring in, but only 19 races
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »
It's a shame that Austria couldn't make it in. I hope the Nurburgring does happen.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:48:28 PM »
Why is F1 adamant about not bringing the A1 ring? What is the specific problem? I think they got a Sponsor as Red Bull, and would have fitted easily in place of Turkey (Which never in the run actually) and would have give us a better 20 race calender, than now probable 19 race calender.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:58:28 AM »
When Bernie said Turkey or nothing he meant it. Hard to say what his thinking is, but if there was a deal, he probably would have taken it. He could possibly be in trouble with his TV deals if he contracted for 20 races.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »
I supported F1 racing at Bahrain last season, mostly under the idea that by the time it was obviously a bad idea, the machine was already in motion, and stopping the race in Bahrain wouldn't have been a great idea either.

However, according to Norris McDonald of the Toronto Star, http://thestar.blogs.com/autoracing/2013/01/why-is-f1-still-planning-to-race-at-bahrain-in-2013.html things are worse than ever.   F1 has had time to think about it, and nary a word.  No 'conditional announcement'.  In 1985 F1, under the leadership of Jean-Marie Balestre, stopped running in South Africa due to Apartheid. 

I know that the FIA is trying to be non-political, and that Bernie goes where the pay cheque is... but if people are interested in making a big deal about F1 being in Bahrain again, now's the time to start the outrage, not once the teams show up.  Yet, nary a word from the F1 press (despite the fact that the only stories are fluff about Luca hoping Bernie goes to jail, and Marko hoping that Webber gets lost on the way to the factory)

vintly

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 12:16:47 AM »
The Bahrain situation is appalling. British collusion in the sham that pretends all is well in the Gulf kingdom is disgusting and deplorable. This is why nothing is in the press about it:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/377063/20120824/bahrain-pr-firms-bell-pottinger-m-c.htm#

We sell them lots of guns too. Nice eh?

Ecclestone, Cameron, Al Khalifa monarchy: SCUM.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 06:55:36 AM »
The thing is like previous year, we will have a controversial Bahrain GP, but it will happen never the less. Because no matter how much the outcry, the F1 circus will reach there where there is money..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 10:44:24 PM »
I agree that Bahrain should be removed from the calender, not only for the current domestic issues there, but also because the track is terrible.

I'm still disappointed that some of the older European circuits are no longer considered as race venues these days, but I'm not surprised.  Having twenty races is possibly overkill in any case, so maybe it's for the best.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle