collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 305
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Could Alonso leave Ferrari?  (Read 3321 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Could Alonso leave Ferrari?
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »

First thought, no way! :nono:  :crazy: But Ernie Black's (F1plus) reasoned argument makes sense.  :swoon:

http://www.f1plus.com/en/columns/item/3022-could-alonso-leave-ferrari

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Cam

Re: Could Alonso leave Ferrari?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:50:49 PM »
That's hardly a reasoned argument, it's a few well worn facts rehashed with a lump of juvenile speculation piled on top.

This is one of the great flaws of the internet, now everybody else will start quoting this article, and soon there will be a rampant "rumour" that FA is about to jump off the horse.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »
It does sound a little like a bored writer with nothing to do, rather than a story.

The main question, to me, is what does Alonso want from F1?  He's won two championships, and while everyone always wants to win another, surely a championship with Ferrari outweighs a championship with any other team.  I doubt there's a driver on the grid who would pick a championship with their current team ahead of a championship with Ferrari.

I wonder if he doesn't win with Ferrari he might just call it quits, rather than go to another team.  (Of course, he might love the idea of driving a Newey world beater.  Who wouldn't?)

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:10:05 AM »
I see Alonso retiring form Ferrari, that said I could see him retiring within the next few seasons if results don't come his way.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:10:02 AM »
I think Jeri's right, the only thing that might tempt him is a chance to work with Newey. And I don't see that happenng unless something major happens at Red Bull.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:03:39 AM »
I'll jump on the bandwagon too...don't see Alonso leaving Ferrari unless he has a chance to drive for Newey, and if that ever happens, he might be too old.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
Alonso has hinted that he only wants to win one more title.  I suspect that he wants to match Senna's tally, and then call it a day.

I don't see him leaving Ferrari.  I think that he has a very good deal there, and has established a very strong relationship with those at the top.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »
I think Alonso get the treatment that he want in Ferrari? Where else he might find another team in the grid who would broke his teammates car in order to jump him in the grid?

And also where else will he get that much financial backing? I mean he wouldn't be able to settle in Mclaren, Helmut Marko will not want him to race against his whinning baby, and no matter how much emphasis does he give that he has sorted things with Lewis, I don't think he will like the idea of being his team-mate again. And the Ferrari people adore this boy, they were ashamed last year, they could not give him a better car, how many big team will admit that publicly? So unless he gets a chance to drive for Newey's race winning wagon, I think he will the demi-god of the Tifosi till he retires.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:26:04 PM »
I think maybe Alonso and Hamilton could be in the same team again, Alonso has done marvels with an under par car and I think Hamilton could now learn a few things from Alonso. If they were in the same team and worked together I think they would be very formidable.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »
I don't see either ego suffering as teammates to each other.  Never happen in my opinion, even if they were both offered jobs under Newey's design. 

My prediction?  Alonso will retire from Ferrari in 3-4 years.  Hamilton will make his retirement pot at Mercedes and then after not winning a thing he will keep driving for a couple midfield teams for another year or two and then be gone himself.  As for Hamilton, I hope I am proven wrong.  A better scenario would be him returning to McLaren after two seasons, everyone makes up and he goes on to win another championship and retires in a managerial role there.  I don't have much confidence in Mercedes doing anything with their knee jerk hirings and firings.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:36:43 AM »
For me 2014 is the big unknown, I can't see Nando leaving Ferrari until he has at least tried the new regs car at Ferrari. However if the 2014 car is a dog and other teams run off with the spoils, under the new turbo rules, I can imagine Nando leaving- maybe even before the season has ended.

Even Newey is concerned about the new reg cars and engines. What if Merc get the jump with their engine and it's the two silver teams, Macca and Merc that are slugging it out for the honours well ahead of the rest in 2014?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:39:19 AM by John S »

vintly

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »
As much as I admire Alonso, I don't really care where he drives, other than if he leaves Ferrari then it frees up a seat for someone else. When Vettel's got five in a row he might fancy a go in a red car... maybe not.

Would dearly love to see Hamilton in a proper car, be it Mercedes or elsewhere, and if partnered with Alonso that would only spice it up.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »
I think maybe Alonso and Hamilton could be in the same team again, Alonso has done marvels with an under par car and I think Hamilton could now learn a few things from Alonso. If they were in the same team and worked together I think they would be very formidable.

Alonso's problem wasn't with Hamilton per se, it was with being on an English team with an English driver, and feeling like they weren't treating the Spaniard fairly.  Whether Alonso was right or wrong, having a doubt can't be good for an F1 driver.

I should think they'd make a great pairing for a 'neutral' team, say Italian or Swiss.

I would love to see them on the same team, in a top car, again.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »

I should think they'd make a great pairing for a 'neutral' team, say Italian or Swiss.

H'mm let me think, :confused:  would that 'neutral' be an Italian team that broadcast the faster than you message by any chance?  :D

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »
Alonso would never work with Hamilton.

Back to the topic - I don't see Alonso leaving Ferrari, as long as he believes they can win.  That having been said, he may be in Massa's sights this season (if Felipe picks up where he left off at the end of 2012) since he was faster than Alonso in the last two or three races.  Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle