collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 317
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Australia begins the fiesta  (Read 6328 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Australia begins the fiesta
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »
Finally the wait was over. The roar of the V8 shattered every other thing, and drivers where set to start what they are world renown for, out pacing each other, and give us a magnificent show. And boy did they deliver it an awesome fashion. As the chances of the rain keep looming and getting qualified only 5 hours before the race was one way of showing the hectic workload the driver were on. And as Formula One keep defying the odds, anyone who have seen Vettel put on that staggering qualifying lap would have sighed, here comes the raging bulls domination again. And only rain can stop them, but as the 5 lights gone off, it was anything except Red bull domination. We have seven drivers who have lead the race, among them was impressive Adian Sutil, rejuvenated Mercedes duos of Lewis and Nico Roseberg, but over everything else it was the Ice cool drive from the favorite Iceman of the paddock Kimi Raikkonen, who picked the first win of the season, more importantly brought down the flying German from pole to third place, which stacks the season up ahead as a cracker.

Heros :

1. Kimi Raikkonen : For surely he is all in all the best thing of the Australian Grand Prix, drove a fabulous race, did not inherited because the win from the seventh place start, instead he weaved around all of the drivers ahead, worked up a beautiful 2 stop strategy, while other went for the Pirelli prescribed 3 stop strategy, and brought Lotus a victory. And Kimi being the Kimi, "It was the easiest race win he have ever driven" :fool:

2. Adrian Sutil : A Force India leading on its own merit says the effort and genius of the driver, so Adrian Sutil after 1 year break have shown just why team opted him rather than Jules Bianchi. He fought and though he might end up in the 7th place, but he can keep his head high. Because he fought Ferrari, Red Bulls and kept them at the bay for the impressive amount of time. He was only shown a blue flag while fighting with Vettel, I think that shows how good he was today.

3. Ferrari Duos : Both of them drive an impressive race, cannot pick who was better, and it was good to see no message from the pits saying "Fernando is faster than you"

4.Jules Bianchi : For me that is an impressive debut for the young Frenchman, who was in the league of his own among the scrappy back marker race. He was impressive all weekend, and for me a very good replacement of Timo Glock. I think it was a good thing for Marussia that Luiz Razia's fund never arrived.

Zeros :

1. McLaren : Taking nothing away from Button 9th place finish, but what a dog of a car you have made in that MP4-28  :fool:

2. Pastor Maldonado : Okay you have a bad car agreed by all, does not mean you have to be wayward and have to end in the gravel to prove that. It also prove that you lack maturity and patience, well they say you never had them in the first place so with what I am arguing  :DntKnw:

3. Mark Webber : What is wrong with you and start of a grand prix. How many times do we have to type in the chat "Webber again with his start" If you are this bad at start, you will never be a champion no matter how good racer you are. Impressive start is the way of great racer, and at the moment you are the one who looses all the hard work of qualifying session in a few split seconds.

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Williamsfan

Re: Australia begins the fiesta
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »
A little part of me wants to make Red Bull heroes for creating a car that was not dominant this weekend!  Otherwise I'd agree with what you said!

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »
Little to add, BD - I didn't notice Bianchi (for that matter, I didn't notice Mclaren except each time Perez was passed  :( ).

Mclaren obviously have a massive problem.  I sure hope they can fix it.  I was looking forward to see what Perez could do with a front running car. 

Sutil drove a heckuva race.  Way to go all of Force India.  I wonder if we will be talking about Force India as a team with plenty of heart, culture and charisma (a la Minardi) in a couple decade's time.   ;)

Ferrari was a nice surprise.  Never a fan of Massa, but he really did no wrong today, and showed he can keep up with Alonso (until he needed to - during the last laps of the race).  Once again I suppose Alonso will show us that a championship can be won from the second step.  Hope he makes it to the top a few times this year.   As much as I would LOVE to see Kimi take it this year, I think Alonso is really due.   ::) ::)

Yeah, Pastor - nutcase with speed, and you are right, he will probably moan about how it was the car (which will not please Frank).  >:(

When is Webber going to figure out how to start a current F1 car?  Really, there is no skill he should have been working on in the off-season more than that.  Put down the bike, get in the sim and figure it the heck out Mark! 

Finally, I noted in chat that not only was this a SC free race, but I think it was a race without any kind of contact.  Not a wall, not a wing, not a rubber mark on a sidepod (although a few close calls).  Wonder if that is a record for a season opening race.   :DntKnw:

Anyhow, fun to see you guys on chat - hope even more will join next week.   :good: :good: :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
Jules Bianchi being in the Marussia will not have the sort of coverage of Ferrari, Red Bull or Lotus. And as you mentioned in the chat, even the Mclaren not shown enough of what it is used to. But I have a feeling there is a reason why this guy is courted by Ferrari as their future driver. This guy was blistering by the word go in Marussia, out did Max Chilton in the first day, while Chilton was chilling for almost 2 and half testing outings.

Well if you want to start that sort of thing with Force India, well I am sure our in house Force India Fanatic Alianora will push you to the limit. I have never seen anyone as passionate as she is about this team. And for the fact that it is basically the EJ's team, I know you will find many fans of this outfit, unlike Minardi where very few people actually are their fan.

Yeah it was good to be back in the chat, and after 3 months of waiting, 2 hours of racing felt like a blink :(

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »
Everyone's covered about everything here butI
wonder how Michael would have fared in the new Mercedes?
I still think he had a win or 2 in him
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:40:51 PM »
I'd like to add 3 Heroes -

1. Jean-Éric Vergne for getting Fastest Lap in his STR. I think that may be the only time in the history of the Grid Game that nobody got FL correctly.

2. NBC did a fine job of their first F1 week-end in adverse circumstances. They handled the long delay and then reschedule of Q2 & 3 well. The afternoon replay of the race may attract new fans.

3. Dare and Wizzo for the newly automated Grid Game. It worked quite well for its rookie race.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »
I've always liked Kimi, and if he feels he can win in the Lotus, he will be tough all season. Sutil got a break by starting on the medium tires and saving the supersofts till the end, but even then they went off very quickly or he would have finished higher. Impressive to be sure.And a shot from Perez in car at the start showed he and Sutil touched left front to right rear very lightly at turn 1. Only contact I saw.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
I am so sorry I missed out Wizzo and Dare there.. Good Point Cos, there is a reason why you have that F1 Legend beside and none else, yet.

As far as I am concerned the FL belongs to Kimi, that he pulled in 57th lap. Still a commendable result from the Torro Rosso people.

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »
I'd like to add 3 Heroes -

1. Jean-Éric Vergne for getting Fastest Lap in his STR. I think that may be the only time in the history of the Grid Game that nobody got FL correctly.

2. NBC did a fine job of their first F1 week-end in adverse circumstances. They handled the long delay and then reschedule of Q2 & 3 well. The afternoon replay of the race may attract new fans.

3. Dare and Wizzo for the newly automated Grid Game. It worked quite well for its rookie race.

I'd like to take some credit Cos but the new scoring system is all Wiz's baby.I asked him to show me how it worked but he said if he did he'd have
to kill me.Somethings are better left alone
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:50:57 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

vintly

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
Not much to add from me other than I'm glad that Marussia and Caterham brought both cars safely home. All five rookies finished, and as Scott said - no hint of an 'incident' throughout the race. A good sign. Great to see the Ferrari's super-competitive in Melbourne.

When will McLaren's performance match their facilities I wonder?

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »
Maybe they should have let Paddy take the secrets with him

Williamsfan

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »
Maybe they should have let Paddy take the secrets with him

:DD

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »

I must say I'm puzzled to know where this fact comes from, the official F1 website, and most others, gives fastest lap to Kimi with Vergne at No 2.  :confused:

Is our GG correct?????  :DntKnw: 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »
Yeah, you are right.  The only GG player it affects is Lon (plus one point - and he needs it).  Kimi must have pulled off the FL on the final lap, because we were all surprised in chat that Vergne was FL for the race and who would have ever picked him for that honour.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
I just checked back with the T&S screen on F1.com:

http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/live_timing.html

As of now, the final for Melbourne is still up. Sure enough, it shows:

BEST LAP:     K. RAIKKONEN        1:29.274       ON LAP    56

Kimi did get it on the last lap.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle