collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 600
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Risks Loosing Engine Manufacturers  (Read 4979 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: F1 Risks Loosing Engine Manufacturers
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »
They were V8 Fords, Chevys, etc.

I want them to open wheel again.

Hope is alive again, though. Tony is back on the board of Hulman & Co.  :yahoo:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130322/indycar/130329913#ixzz2PbDfIZqL
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
I don't care what kind of engines they run, I want variety in cars, engines

Agree with you Lonny, I think that is where F1 makes itself unique, with each regulation changes they are forcing teams to keep away from such ventures   >:(
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Cam

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 08:16:28 AM »
Bernie doesn't give a toss about the new engines, he's just trying to put pressure on the FIA (read JT) because the FIA reckon they should get some more money out of the sport.

The new power plants are going to add a new level of technical interest to the sport.  They are complex bits of kit and it will be fantastic watching the engineers coming to grips with getting the best out of them, including the performance differentials that result.  My 5c worth is that in a few years there will be more engine manufacturers in the sport than there are now, due to the renewed technical interest.

And at 700 odd hp I reckon we will probably still need ear plugs at the track too!
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Willy

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »
F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor racing world wide.

To me, this means the best drivers, engineering, car design, engine manufacturers and tracks all racing each other.
The more the engine makers bow out and the sport waters down the engine regulations, the less others will want to be involved what with the costs involved.
Indy Car and Le Mans are viable and less expensive options for the other guys with out the perceived lack of return on investment.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »

Funny how when Cosworth DFV ruled in F1 and the only other half competitive engine was the Ferrari, bit parts were played by BRM, and Alfa amongst others , I don't remember a big fuss.

In time it sorted itself out again and more engine makers joined F1 - but crucially the change that brought in new engine builders was, horror of horrors, .........turbos:D 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 02:41:50 PM »
Back then, John, the financing of F1 wasn't quite so dependent on manufacturers. They were paid money to participate, not the other way round...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
It's a question of the stability of the engine supply. There also was no question of Cosworth remaining long term. F1 engines were their main business. Merc, Renault and other road car builders are in it strictly for advertising. They are there for the prestige and glamor that F1 brings to their brand. They will leave F1 whenever it no longer serves that purpose. It has nothing to do with any real-world engineering benefits, just perception and PR.

And, let's face it, turbo minivans are neither prestigious nor glamorous.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, there are no turbo minivans.  :confused:
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »
Not yet. They are scheduled to arrive next season.

The Grid Girls will be replaced by Soccer Moms in honor of the change.
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »
It's a question of the stability of the engine supply. .

Phooey!  It's about the racing, surely?  ::) 

Teams have always managed to find engines for their cars, I've never heard of a team having to give up racing because no one is willing to sell them or prepare an engine. Them not having the money to buy, or lease, a competitive engine is a different matter, we've seen plenty of that.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
Not yet. They are scheduled to arrive next season.

No, those will be turbocharged, hybrid racing cars.  ;)
Lonny

Offline Philbe

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 01:39:24 AM »
Not a turbo but its a hybrid...  .

And I completely agree with whats already been mentioned. Yup..F1 cars will have engines that make them go fast..and isn't that all that matters.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
Teams have always managed to find engines for their cars, I've never heard of a team having to give up racing because no one is willing to sell them or prepare an engine.

Mike Shank, who's operation is based a little north of my home. Michael Shank Racing (MSR) won the 24 Hours of Daytona last season. Mike was all set to go Indy racing. He had cars, spares, a driver, everything except an engine supply. IndyCar was making the switch from naturally aspirated V8's to Turbo minivan engines, with three suppliers lined up (Sound familiar?) There were no engines to be had, at any price. Even established teams, like Sarah Fisher / Hartman Racing, had a hard time securing engines.

― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Teams have always managed to find engines for their cars, I've never heard of a team having to give up racing because no one is willing to sell them or prepare an engine. Them not having the money to buy, or lease, a competitive engine is a different matter, we've seen plenty of that.  :D

In 2005 when F1 switched from V10 to the current V8 formula, Minardi claimed they could not continue in the sport if they were required to pay for a supply of V8 engines.  The FIA issued a special dispensation for Minardi to run rev limited V10 engines.  (Of course, Minardi sold out to become Toro Rosso, but that's a whole other can of worms.)

Will Caterham and Marussia be issued a special dispensation or be forced to pay for new engine development? 

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »
Renault pushed for these engines,  Ferrari and Mercedes are commited, Cosworth just don't seem to have a customer for theirs if they are planning one.  Honda are believed to be re-entering the sport, as are Toyota with lexus branding. How is this losing manufacturers?  Mr E, for whatever reason, seems to dislike these engines.  They seem a done deal, so instead of continuously finding ways to talk down the sport he promotes and males a fortune from,maybe he should concentrate his energies on being positive and talking the sport up, and the "green" credentials of the 2014 power units.  Either that, or keep his opinions to himself.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle