collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 625
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Watson doesn't think much of Perez  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Scott

Watson doesn't think much of Perez
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »
Maybe he was an 'ok' driver in his time, but I've never liked John Watson, at least not what he has to say.  He used to be the 'expert' on the Canadian telecasts, and it just sounded as if he liked to hear his own voice more than give any actual information to the viewers.

So he's come out swinging at Perez after two races?   :fool: :fool:

Give the kid a chance to get used to the car.  Even Jenson is having trouble with it this year, and I would say Mclaren's woes aren't driver related.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22031593

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Watson doesn't think much of Perez
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:33:36 AM »
Sounds like he's not knocking Perez talent, just saying he may be slowing development because he's inexperienced. I think Perez' hiring surprised a lot of people.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »
Perez had more F1 experience than Hamilton when Lewis started with McLaren. 

Besides, which 'more experienced' F1 driver was available for McLaren to take?  Perez was the closest to winning a race of all the drivers available.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »
Lewis was a bigger talent than Perez I think, and when he came up they had Alonso to develop the car. I don't think that is Button's strong suit either. The Hulk might have been a better choice, or even Sutil. We'll see, I'm sure he's still trying to get used to McLaren.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
I think Sutil was a pleasant surprise.  Mclaren wouldn't have banked on him.  Perez also showed a lot more promise early in the season than Hulkenberg (when he was signed). 

But I still say...please Mr. Watson, it's only been two races.  Give him a chance to drive the car.  The whole point of bringing in a new driver and retaining an old one is to put the development duties on the old one.  It's Jenson's job, at least early on.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
Even the McLaren people are having tough time with MP4-28, because they were having some fundamental issues to settle. So judging a new driver after two race, when the car itself might worst in many years is pretty harsh. And if you look at the times of Perez, he is simply following Button everywhere, just lagging a little couple of tenths, which I am sure he will regain once he settled down. In the last race, when McLaren gave him a new set of tyres he set the fastest time of the race, might be little but it signifies a certain point, that if Mclaren could give him a stable, reliable and fast car, he will one, that you cannot ignore. Even Mr. Whitemarsh was praising him saying he is yet to put a foot wrong, where he could have easily done it, when driving this dog of a car.

When Lewis had his debut, McLaren was the fastest in the Grid, and if it was not for that Spygate issue that season, McLaren could have got the Constructor Championship easily. So if you want to compare, at least you should be judged in a similar sort of car, not when the cars are far apart.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
Besides, which 'more experienced' F1 driver was available for McLaren to take?  Perez was the closest to winning a race of all the drivers available.

The Force India pair of 2012 (di Resta and Hulkenberg) were more experienced than Pérez, and both considered for the McLaren role. Pérez's podium was impressive, but his inconsistency rather less so. I'm not sure whether di Resta or Hulkenberg would have been any more capable of getting the McLaren to work than Pérez, and I'm reluctant to diss Pérez this early because there's still time for him to make a comeback, but I don't think anyone involved will be happy... ...except maybe Vijay Mallya and Monishia Kaltenborn.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
Perez had more F1 experience than Hamilton when Lewis started with McLaren. 

Lewis had access to the simulator for a long time before he got the drive which was why he went the way he did in 2007.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle