collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 523
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Boston Marathon Explosion  (Read 7060 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Boston Marathon Explosion
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 10:17:04 AM »
I won't say any more on the subject as the only politics that should be discussed on here are F1 politics.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
Too bad they shot him in the throat, now he can't talk.  The interrogation will take a bit longer.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, anybody who sets off a bomb without caring what happens is not a human being. So why should they be treated like one. An eye for an eye I say!

What worries me Ian is how many more like them are
still in our countryt and yours?

Whilst that worries me and I hope all of us I can't help drawing parallels with Bahrain, the media seeks to justify and give comfort to violent protests in Arab countries yet wants perps hunted down like rabid dogs in their own backyards.  ::)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 03:22:31 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, anybody who sets off a bomb without caring what happens is not a human being. So why should they be treated like one. An eye for an eye I say!

An eye for an eye makes the world blind.  (Nope, not my own creation, but a very apt phrase to sum up my point).

If we, in the supposed morally superior west, are meant to have the moral high ground, then that kind of thinking simply has to go.  By adopting that attitude, the thinking just becomes the same as the thinking which you're so strongly against, and that's a most horrendous double standard.  It also leads to a vicious cycle of never ending violence which gets us absolutely nowhere.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »

An eye for an eye makes the world blind.  (Nope, not my own creation, but a very apt phrase to sum up my point).

If we, in the supposed morally superior west, are meant to have the moral high ground, then that kind of thinking simply has to go.  By adopting that attitude, the thinking just becomes the same as the thinking which you're so strongly against, and that's a most horrendous double standard.  It also leads to a vicious cycle of never ending violence which gets us absolutely nowhere.

I disagree with Capital Punishment, but I believe there should be some sentencing reform for life sentences involving murder.  Why give them TV, decent food, nice warm place to sleep?  Make as many moments of their days left in their lives as miserable as possible without causing any actual pain.

Give them a slab of wood to sleep on with a thin blanket, feed them only with food from a blender in a bowl along with a spoon.  No outside media exposure (newspapers, TV or radio) - make them only wonder what is happening in the world and never give them a reason to laugh.  Give them a book a week of some inspiring story of someone overcoming a huge setback in their lives, and maybe laminate photos of their victim (s) on the walls in virtually every direction they can look.  Finally, LIFE means LIFE.  No release, not ever.  Not 25yrs, not if you have cancer, not for any reason.  And make it a bit easier for them to take their own lives should they not like the conditions they put themselves in.  Maybe a built in noose or something.   >:( >:(

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 04:26:18 PM »
I fail to what is moral about a murderer getting a life sentence and being freed after eight years. A life sentence should mean that you die in prison.

We will never agree on this Arisado because I was brought up in the fifties when punishment WAS punishment.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:28:24 PM by Ian »

Offline Ian

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »
Wow, the Boston bomber they have in hospital has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction, that's a death penalty charge.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 03:40:23 AM »
I am not against the death penalty, but in the case of Muslim terrorists I think we should consider that executing them creates a martyr. I would rather see them locked up out of the public eye, cut off from their followers and forgotten.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 04:07:49 AM »
I am not against the death penalty, but in the case of Muslim terrorists I think we should consider that executing them creates a martyr. I would rather see them locked up out of the public eye, cut off from their followers and forgotten.

I too am not against the death penalty but you bring up
some good points I never considered Lonny.

The Boston bomber says they were motivated by religion.What true religion would advocate killing innocent people.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/22/17860373-officials-hospitalized-bombing-suspect-says-he-and-brother-acted-alone-motivated-by-religion?lite
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 04:35:17 AM »
Both Islam and Christianity have embraced the concept of Holy War. In addition both have used the convert or die argument frequently. I think perhaps Islam embraces these ideas more fervently.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »
In the past religion caused some terrible things to happen, I would have hoped we had moved on from that.

All religions are basically the same, respect for your fellow man, do not kill, do not steal, one almighty being, God,Allah, Jehovah, Buddah etc, they all forbid killing innocent people and threaten eternal damnation for that.

The Christian Bible and the Islamic Koran are remarkably close to each other, even the Muslims use the name God as well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:12:52 AM by Ian »

vintly

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »
All religions are basically the same..

Sorry to split hairs, but monotheistic religions are basically the same. Polytheistic religions don't fall into the same category, in my humble opinion, such as Hinduism and Buddhism. I'm not religious at all, just saying.

Offline Ian

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
I'm impressed vintly, no, I'm not extracting the urine, I've just googled it and learnt something.  :good:

Ok, most religions are basically the same.

Offline Scott

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »
All religions are basically the same..

Sorry to split hairs, but monotheistic religions are basically the same. Polytheistic religions don't fall into the same category, in my humble opinion, such as Hinduism and Buddhism. I'm not religious at all, just saying.

The God of Coffee and the God of Gin are my Deities (not necessarily in that order).  I believe that makes my religion a Polytheistic religion.   ;) ;)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »

A committed Anglican Christian explained to me, a few years back, the main difference between Islam and Christianity. In his words "Jesus' followers are exhorted to love their enemies and turn the other cheek; whilst Muslim teachings take the view if you're not with me you're agin me and so fair game".  :o

Not quite sure where that leaves Catholics, who put Mother Mary ahead of the Christ child in doctrinal matters, or Jews and Sikhs.  :DntKnw:

Always supposing my religious acquaintance speaks the truth, after all he does have an agenda himself, - as indeed most followers of religion do.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle