collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 306
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Could Red Bull pull plug on F1 team?  (Read 6301 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Could Red Bull pull plug on F1 team?
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
Mateschitz allegedly so mad over Multi-21 fiasco he might, if repeated.  :swoon:               

Dr Helmut Marko has scoffed at reports Red Bull could quit formula one over the ’Multi-21’ team orders affair.

According to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, owner Dietrich Mateschitz was furious when Sebastian Vettel ignored his bosses orders in Malaysia, triggering Mark Webber’s anger and a slew of negative publicity.

Billionaire Mateschitz reportedly told the Milton-Keynes based team that a repeat of the team orders mess could result in him pulling the plug on F1 altogether.

"Nonsense. There’s nothing to it," Mateschitz’s right hand man Marko told Bild newspaper.

Nonetheless, the affair dubbed ’Multi-21’ continues to cause headaches for Red Bull.

A photo of Webber dining with Red Bull’s arch-enemy Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso in Dubai was posted on the drivers’ Twitter feeds, triggering another wave of rumours.

Nextgen-auto.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: Could Red Bull pull plug on F1 team?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
I think this was the only scare tactic left in the hand of Red Bull to keep their uncontrollable child Mr. Vettel tamed. Because I see no other reason to justify this audacious claim. After heavy investment and great success in F1, Red Bull pulling it away because such mere matter seems very absurd for me. Then again you a tame a ruthless, you need to make quite a bit of shake. But not going to happen eventually, too much to loose.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
If they want control, they should write it into the contract.  Anyone not following team orders for a position change or hold is fined $500k. 

I kind of doubt Dieter would pull the plug on the team and put hundreds of people out of work.  That would be much worse publicity for the brand. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »
Mateschitz's business is selling energy drinks, not F1. The teams are only an advertising tool. A very expensive advertising tool. When that publicity turns negative, he might well decide to but his money elsewhere.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »
Mateschitz is a confirmed petrolhead. He isn't in F1 just for the advertising - he loves it. However, he could easily change personnel or put his massive budget into a different team.
What I do not know is the relationship he has with Marko. Is he just employed because he has the right background or are Dieter and Helmut truly friends? It has been reported that Marko's open support for Vettel and his negative comments about Webber have annoyed Mateschitz. Perhaps the latest mess could be enough to put Marko's position at risk?

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:51:55 PM »
Perhaps the latest mess could be enough to put Marko's position at risk?

Wouldn't that be nice.  It would be much healthier to have Horner report directly to Dieter.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Cam

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »
My first post on the matter suggested Mr Matechitz's phone would have been melting at the end of the Malaysian GP, looks like I was right.

Red Bull (the brand) is all about image, and shafting your team mate does not fit into that image at all.  The injection of realF1 (or whatever the F1 equivalent of realpolitik is) would have been a rude shock to Mr Mateschitz. 

Perhaps he can turn it into a positive though and introduce a new can of lolly water called "Multi 21", the slogan could be  "clips your wings".
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
Matechitz is an F1 fan, so while he's probably extremely irritated at the moment, I very much doubt that he would follow through with such a move, even if he made such a statement.

It would be great if he were to bring Marko into line though.  I'm fed up with the amount of power that guy has in the team.  Horner is supposed to be in charge.  He's the man on the pit wall making all the decisions after all.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »
Mateschitz's business is selling energy drinks, not F1. The teams are only an advertising tool. A very expensive advertising tool. When that publicity turns negative, he might well decide to but his money elsewhere.

Agreed.

F1 needs to be careful what product they offer their sponsors, as an overall sport, as individual teams, and individual drivers.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
I can't see it happening myself, though it did raise a smile. The thought of seeing Mr Vettel in a "non Red Bull" car would intrigue me....We might actually see how bad you really are ;)

And as for you Fernando........where was my dinner invite?? :( hehe

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
I can't see it happening myself, though it did raise a smile. The thought of seeing Mr Vettel in a "non Red Bull" car would intrigue me....We might actually see how bad you really are ;)

You're right, no major corporate owner could possibly pull out of F1 with little to no warning.

It's not like it hasn't happened to Ford, Honda, Toyota, Lotus or BMW.  Or Bennetton, Kingfisher and Virgin.

Okay, I might be playing a little loose with the facts, but while I don't expect Red Bull to pull out of F1, I can't say that I'd be surprised if RBR and STR were suddenly on the market, and finding their budgets slashed to whatever minimum is needed to meet the Concorde agreement.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 09:05:35 PM »
I remember when SS United's sudden departure killed Super Aguri.  :'(
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:45:57 PM »

You're right, no major corporate owner could possibly pull out of F1 with little to no warning.

It's not like it hasn't happened to Ford, Honda, Toyota, Lotus or BMW.  Or Bennetton, Kingfisher and Virgin.

Okay, I might be playing a little loose with the facts, but while I don't expect Red Bull to pull out of F1, I can't say that I'd be surprised if RBR and STR were suddenly on the market, and finding their budgets slashed to whatever minimum is needed to meet the Concorde agreement.

Lets just focus on the most crucial part of this whole story.......
Where was my dinner invite Fernando  :nono:
Wait till I get you home.....Your so on the sofa for that  :crazy:

AND

Lets be honest Vettel being a bad boy doesn't change the fact Red Bull as a drink tastes like  :sick:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:48:13 PM by Alonsofan »

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 03:57:54 AM »
Red Bull pulled out of NASCAR with very little warning. Basically they just said we won't be back next year. Left their people to scramble for jobs. Nothing says they won't do the same thing here. Still think Vettel should have sat out China.
Lonny

vintly

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
If anyone thinks Red Bull will pull out of F1 anytime in the next five years, put your money where you mouth is and I'll bet against you.

Up to and including the 2017 season. Even money. Min £1 max £20. I'll take any number of bets up to a total potential win/loss of £50.

Come on you know you want to!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle