collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 615
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is F1 Turning Its Back on Europe?  (Read 5515 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Is F1 Turning Its Back on Europe?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 04:03:21 AM »
Nope! Sorry! The Texas cow pasture is a better road course than Indy.  :P I love Indy, the big oval is totally unique and very special. My earliest racing memories are of the 500, circa '57-'58. But the road course was a compromise and not really very interesting.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »
I agree that the F1 course at Indy was a compromise, and that it didn't work out that well, especially the transition from the banking to the road track and point-and-squirt corners.  If Indy was serious about building an F1 track, they would bulldoze the golf course and build a proper infield track. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »
Have you watched any of the MotoGP from Indy? The "point & squirt" as you call it, turns 9, 10 & 11, were completely redone after the 2007 race. There were also plans in place to redo the other end of the circuit, in the area of turns 4, 5 & 6. It would have taken the circuit under the north short chute, where Hulman Blvd. passes under the oval. Some additional trackage would have been outside the oval. It then would have passed through the tunnel under the back stretch and rejoined the existing course at the start of the Hulman straight.

An inaccessible cow pasture in Texas is no Indy. (Note to FIA: It's no Sebring, either). Even if Herr Tilke piled all of the cow dung at one end to make a fake hill. It's still just lipstick on a pig.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 02:58:16 PM »
Have you watched any of the MotoGP from Indy? The "point & squirt" as you call it, turns 9, 10 & 11, were completely redone after the 2007 race. There were also plans in place to redo the other end of the circuit, in the area of turns 4, 5 & 6. It would have taken the circuit under the north short chute, where Hulman Blvd. passes under the oval. Some additional trackage would have been outside the oval. It then would have passed through the tunnel under the back stretch and rejoined the existing course at the start of the Hulman straight.

No, I didn't realize they had made those changes and planned the others.  It sounds like a much improved track the way you describe it.  I will have to watch the MotoGP race in August when it is there.  I love the idea of taking the course outside the oval to extend it.   :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »
The MotoGP course runs anti-clockwise, like the 500 and opposite of F1 and Grand Am. They also use a infield section that replaces the one banked turn on the road course. (Turn 13 on the old F track, turn 1 on the oval)

Indy is currently talking about upgrades to the road course. Maybe Tony has them thinking F1 again!

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/10/mark-miles-indy-road-course-would-be-improved/ 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »

All those changes make the track less historic Cossie, not more.  :P :tease:  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »
The oval won't be effected. Does the fact that almost nothing from Tabac to about Anthony Noghes is the same as it was in the 60's mean that Monaco isn't historic?

The schedule I suggested would give F1 the three most famous circuits (Indy, Le Mans, Monaco) and the two oldest existing purose-built circuits (Indy and Monza).
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 06:03:55 AM »
Lot of maybes and what ifs in that article. And, Oh Boy, another countdown, playoff, chase to screw up a championship. They do admit the current one is "less than highly regarded".
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle