collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 663
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Barcelona GP 2013  (Read 9229 times)

vintly

Barcelona GP 2013
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Anyone else going to Barça? Looking forward to trying the mobile chat live from the race, signal permitting. I'll need it to find out what's going on from you guys anyway, we've got General Admission tickets so won't be able to se a thing. :D

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Barcelona GP 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 09:48:28 AM »

Enjoy yourself Vintly, sadly I'm not going so have a great time you lucky, lucky ......person.  ;)

Don't forget to tell us all about it when you get back. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
Aah but vintly, it will sound so much better than on the tv, enjoy.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
I'm sure that you'll have a great time, vintly!  :yahoo:

We'll be looking forward to your stories.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
Very nice Vintly  :good:

Enjoy and remember, get Fernando's number for me hehe

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »
So happy to hear that vintly, I am sure you will enjoy it  :good: :good:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
Wear something distinctive so we can pick you out in the crowd on the TV.
Or maybe do a streak at the finish line......
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »
You guys are forgetting that GPWiz members are supposed to go to GP's shirtless with GPWizard.co.uk grease-painted on their chests. 

I won't mention again how Ian got it wrong at Monza again  ;) ;) |-(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Hey Vintly, how'd you figure out how to get away with going to a GP on Mother's Day?  Did you find an F1 crazy wife?  Oh, if only...   :(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Yes Scott, their CHEST, not their buttocks like you did.  :tease:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »
Hey Vintly, how'd you figure out how to get away with going to a GP on Mother's Day?  Did you find an F1 crazy wife?  Oh, if only...   :(

Mothers Day was in March for most of us Scott.  :confused: 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

David

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »
Enjoy the GP Vintly! Barcelona is a lovely city too, there is a great tapas restaurant on the boardwalk down by the marina I can recommend. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »
Hope you had a great time, vintly!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

vintly

Barcelona GP 2013
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
Hi all, Barca was absolutely fantastic, the GP was very impressive I thought in terms of layout, organisation, and general enjoyment. We watched quali then the GP2 race on Sat, and just the main event on Sunday. Extreme sleep deprivation, a general body-hangover and a return to mountains of work have delayed writing anything sooner, and there are some pics I'll share when I get a chance soon. Planning to go again next year, highly recommended.

vintly

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 09:09:22 PM »
This is as much of a food report as a race report, so apologies if anyone was expecting more F1 detail! Photos and videos taken with an iPhone.

I'm a huge fan of Barcelona the city, and visit a good friend there regularly, so this was my 8th or 9th trip to the area, but first time to the GP. My only previous live race was a wet Silverstone that left me very underwhelmed, and quite happy to be just an armchair fan. This year a friend from London, Angus, suggested we visit Kimble in Barca and take in the race, so off we went on Thursday last week. The excuse was Angus' birthday. This was also a chance to indulge in another favourite pastime, eating.

To start with, some great modern tapas at Lolita, a relatively new place run by the brother of the owner of the famous El Bulli restaurant. Mini butter-beans with truffles and quails eggs were a favourite, but amazing food all round. http://www.lolitataperia.com/en/

On Friday we ate more tapas at the incredible Cuidad Condal. I eat here every trip, you just can't beat it, some of Barca's finest tapas. The mini-rib-eye steak on tostada with a padrón pepper on top is perfection. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d1059712-Reviews-Ciudad_Condal-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

The journey to the circuit on Saturday went pretty smoothly. A half hour metro then train ride to Montmelo, the town buzzing with F1 fans. We hopped on a coach that we thought would shorten the walk to the circuit, but it dropped us off at the southern main entrance so we still had a half hour walk up to the General Admission area. This wasn't so bad, a bit of a hike up the hill around the circuit, but a chance to soak up the atmosphere and get our bearings.

We sat on the steep grass banking before turn 9, cracked open the wine and waited for quali. Great views of turns 7 and 8 leading up to the fast right hander at 9. Lovely to see them stick to the track and zoom out of sight. Afterwards we watched a GP2 race and made our way back. Everything well organised, no queues, great views, everybody very polite and enjoying the sun. Not the best result for the home fans but an interesting qualifying with Mercedes one and two.

Alonso during qualifying

Me in anticipation of a Red Bull on pole

A Torro Rosso comes by

The GP2 race start after F1 qualifying

Sunday morning arrived, we're somewhat worse for wear after another late night. (Kimble is now nicknamed Kimi Wrongington) We head off for the circuit remembering the sun-block this time, along with wine, cheese, bread and my favourite, some good quality jamon. We've arrive only half an hour or so before the start, the circuit is obviously busier than Saturday, and there's no chance of getting the same spot on the bank for the start so we cross into the infield corner of turn 4 for the start and first few laps.

The leaders on lap 1, turn 4

Kimi and Massa battle into turn 4

We moved back to the top of the banking back near turn 9 and stood watching for some of the middle of the race, then found a bank further up with of nice view of the cars coming round turn 9 and accelerating away. A fantastic race for the home crowd, another Alonso masterclass, and a top day for Ferrari. A great experience, so much more fun and better value than dreary Silverstone! We're planning to go again next year. We headed back through Montmelo and stopped for a few beers, watching the groups of fans, locals, soaking up the atmosphere.

Kimble is a big Barcelona FC fan, and they were playing Athletico Madrid that evening. As we were leaving Montmelo he spotted the local penya. A penya is basically a club for the local old boys (and girls and young'uns if they want) to watch their beloved Barca. Lots of chairs and a few screens, with a fridge and a cash register to sell drinks, the place decked out with Barca colours, posters and photos. We watched them beat Athletico, making them league champions once again. Lovely timing.

On Monday we went for a 'Menu del dia' (food of the day), commonly referred to as a menu. Cheap and cheerful, these can be exquisite, depending on your luck. Fortunately with Kimble's local knowledge we enjoyed another great meal - more anchovies on mini tostadas in a gaspachio type soup, but thicker. Then a surprisingly succulent burger (no bread) and chips, bottle of delicious red wine.

Strange sign in the square by the restaurant

We had a couple of hours to kill before the flight, and Barca FC just happened to be parading their success around the city. Open-topped busses carrying sound systems, dancers and the team came through the main harbour area to the delight of many, many thousands of ecstatic fans. What a sight! I'm not a football fan, but I do enjoy watching Barca, it was an unexpected treat to see these stars come by. A real party atmosphere.

Thousands line the streets in anticipation of their team's arrival

The team bus

Angus and Kimi Wrongington

Finally it's time to depart. A surprisingly tasty hot dog (and obligatory beer) at the airport and it's home to bed. A great few days.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle