collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 234
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Do Tire Tweeks Violate the Rules?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline cosworth151

Do Tire Tweeks Violate the Rules?
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »
Article 12.6.3 of F1's technical regulations reads, "Tire specifications will be determined by the FIA no later than 1 September of the previous season. Once determined in this way, the specification of the tires will not be changed during the championship season without the agreement of all competing teams."

Article 12.5.2 states: "If in the opinion of the appointed tire supplier and FIA technical delegate, the nominated tire specification proves to be technically unsuitable, the stewards may authorize the use of additional tires to a different specification."

Pirelli has stated that it will change its tire specs by Montreal. The move will probably benefit teams struggling with the current skins (Red Bull, Mercedes) at the expense of others who have mastered them (Lotus, Ferrari).

The question is, does this violate the rules? Since there has been no safety questions about the current tires, it looks to me like it does.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Do Tire Tweeks Violate the Rules?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
If that's so, Pirelli have violated the rules twice already this season, as they brought different tyres to Bahrain and Spain than the ones agreed initially. Since the Bahrain ones were for easily-justified reasons, nobody complained that time.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:51:02 PM »
In those cases, they simply brought a different selection of the tires announced last fall, i.e. bringing a medium instead of a soft. They did not change the tires themselves. Today's soft, medium and so on are the same as their counterparts at the beginning of the season.

My understanding is that now they will change the actual specs of one or more of the various grades of tires. For example, a soft at Montreal & beyond will be a different tire than the softs from earlier races.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »
Well Cossie that was my initial response when I heard Pirelli will be changing their tyres, because it seems not right as clearly some teams have the advantage while some don't. This cannot be a reason to change the tyre compound in the middle of the season. :nono: :nono:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:58:36 AM »
Pirelli's stated goal is for teams like Ferrari and Lotus to attempt a 2 stop strategy while teams like Merc and R/B go for 3 stoppers. They did not intend for teams to be making 4+ stops. That bit about the Technical Delegate and Pirelli agreeing the tires are not suitable pretty much leaves the door open for them to do as they please I think.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »
I don't like the tire tweaking mid-season.  If suddenly RBR completely dominates again, what are people going to look back and point it to?

I think a better solution is for Pirelli to bring more tires and relax the 'must use at least two compounds' rule.  Let he teams choose What tires they want to use, and maybe that means they use hards the whole race, but make it in 3 stops instead of 4. 

Changing the tire construction or compounds mid-season only opens them up to the sport being fixed theories.  A couple delaminations do not mean the tires are faulty.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:12:03 AM by scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
To answer the question above, YES.  According to the FIA.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107487
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »
An historic day! I actually agree with something the FIA did!  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
Ferrari International Assistance to the rescue.  :D

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:01:59 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 09:42:18 PM »
An historic day! I actually agree with something the FIA did!  ;)

A sign of the apocalypse to be sure!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 01:51:33 AM »
Don't really care if it helps Ferrari, it helps Lotus.  :yahoo: :yahoo:

Also if it slows R/B and Seb so much the better!
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle