collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 291
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes Banned From Young Driver Test  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Irisado

Mercedes Banned From Young Driver Test
« on: June 21, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »
The verdict is in, and Mercedes have been reprimanded.  They won't be allowed to participate in the young driver test http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22999260.  It seems to me that they could have been punished more harshly, so I'd be surprised if they appeal.

Pirelli has also been reprimanded, which probably won't do anything to improve relations between the FIA and F1's tyre supplier.

More details are to follow, so I'll hold back my full opinion until later.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

Re: Mercedes Banned From Young Driver Test
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
Here are 20 pages of FIA-speak that add up to, "Naughty lads, don't do it again."

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/news/files/%28IT-2013-01%29-Decision%20%28EN%29.pdf
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »
FIA = joke. If you are afraid of punishing those who break the rules, what is the point of having rules?  Here comes in-season testing again, with or without FIA sanctioning.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Shoddy rules make for grey areas, this is all on the FIA for letting it happen. Well done Mercedes, although they've lost the young driver test, which I suppose is just enough to keep the other teams quiet. Glad that's over!

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
Isn't it just a bit ironic that the penalty is exactly that which the Mercedes lawyer suggested? 

'Gee Your Honour, I'm sorry, how about you just give me a light slap with a wet noodle and I'll get out of your hair.  Hope you boys and girls all had a nice couple of days sightseeing around Paris and good meals at your fancy hotels.  We'll pick up the tab.'   |-( |-( |-( |-(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »
Well it has to be said - I told you so  ;)

The FIA knew about this test and if RBR hadn't complained, nothing more would have been said.. However, once highlighted I always felt that the FIA were going to either blame Charlie or deny everything.
Basically they have done both but the fact that they are covering a third of the costs is as good as an absolute admission that the FIA had been informed and had agreed to what was a necessary test.
The test did nothing for Mercedes but let us hope it did actually help Pirelli.
Hopefully we can look forward to proper racing but with just a small amount of uncertainty coming from tyre choice.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
I have to agree with you Scott. It is kind of pointless having rules, so obviously broken, with little or no significant punishment  :DntKnw:

At least we can now get on with the rest of the season and hopefully see Vettel's title push go off track, literally ;)

vintly

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »
I have to agree with you Scott. It is kind of pointless having rules, so obviously broken, with little or no significant punishment  :DntKnw:

At least we can now get on with the rest of the season and hopefully see Vettel's title push go off track, literally ;)

Heheh I love how Vettel creeps into threads that are completely unrelated. The mark of a true champ. Go Seb  :good: ;)

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »

Heheh I love how Vettel creeps into threads that are completely unrelated. The mark of a true champ. Go Seb  :good: ;)

Oh sorry Vintly I didn't mean to upset you  ;)
Ok...Go Seb Go!!!! Oh I didn't mean into the wall  :o hehe

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:35:34 PM »
 :DD  :DD  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

vintly

Mercedes Banned From Young Driver Test
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »
Aargh got me!

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD

"Go Vettel Go" Oops i didn't mean to end up in the bush with your car upside down, but as you have done that far, can you please stay like that for rest of the season please :D
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »

Sorry to spoil this jolly Vettel baiting but to return to the topic for a minute, isn't this self Merc requested punishment really a slap in the face for Todt's FIA? For such a minimal punishment to be handed out when the FIA counsel was so adamant that the test had seriously breached not just one, but two  :swoon: articles of the sporting code.

IMHO the tribunal has really put the cat amongst the pigeons allowing the mitigation of qualified approval, can you imagine how tough the WMSC would have been about this?  I'm pretty sure Merc would have been staring at exclusion if this had gone the old route through the WMSC. The council would't have recognised at all Charlie's, or their own lawyers, part in this; - they can't approve a test so they didn't, :P  would be the head in the sand approach.

I think all the teams should be reassured that this ruling means the years of unchallengeable FIA dictatorship, like McLaren's $100 million fine whilst Renault got virtually nothing for same possessions of others tech, are finally over.  :good: Not a moment too soon either.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:22 PM »
Having let it all sink in, I'm amazed that Mercedes got off so lightly.  I was expecting a tougher penalty, possibly even a one race ban.  Teams don't normally get let off lightly by the FIA, except during the period when Ferrari had a secret deal with the FIA during the Schumacher era.

I do feel sorry for Pirelli though.  I feel as though the FIA is making them a scapegoat for its own failure to put its house in order.  The FIA really should be examining itself in the light of this.  It's really a bit silly when their technical delegate gives the okay, yet somehow this actually doesn't mean it's okay.  Bizarre.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:57:58 PM by Irisado »
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

vintly

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »
I think the fact that no penalties were levied shows that the FIA knows they were part of the problem. For sure they are examining themselves in the light of this - Whiting should never have given the go ahead to use the 2013 car.

As I said before, shoddy rules make for grey areas, this is all on the FIA for letting it happen.

Bernie, Whiting, Mosely, many others probably – they've cobbled together this monster, and now they bodge it as they go along. It's hilarious, that so much money and so many top legal minds get embroiled in spats about rules that aren't watertight, hence the spats. I enjoy it, it makes for more 'circus'. It's like the clowns coming on in-between the big cats heh. Or rabbits, in the case of Silverstone...  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle