collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 383
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pirelli threatens to pull out of F1  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Scott

Pirelli threatens to pull out of F1
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »
...unless the teams accept their terms and sign the contracts. 

Sounds like Pirelli have taken on Bernie's tactics.  Although I do see their side of it as well...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107609

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Pirelli threatens to pull out of F1
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:53:33 AM »
Does Pirelli realise it has to give 12 months' notice of its comings and goings, according to regulation? Otherwise the FIA will fine them for forcing them to rush the tendering process for Pirelli's replacement.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:14:10 AM »
It would certainly be fun to watch the various teams scramble for independent tire suppliers

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:06:20 AM »
Does Pirelli realise it has to give 12 months' notice of its comings and goings, according to regulation? Otherwise the FIA will fine them for forcing them to rush the tendering process for Pirelli's replacement.

Why wouldn't PIRELLI just walk away and laugh at the FIA and say "try to collect a fine".
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »

Funny ain't it the FIA gives 3 or 4 years notice to teams of big engine and spec changes to the cars for next year, but then just forgets about the boots these new cars will need.  :confused: 

Taken together with the present outcry, from some, about Pirelli doing what the FIA/FOM asked them to do, who would blame them if they walked out. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »
I think Pirelli's contract is up at the end of the year. If memory serves, they signed a three year contract at the beginning of the 2011 season. If so, they should be able to walk away at the end of the contract without legal recourse on the FIA's part.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
I think Pirelli's contract is up at the end of the year. If memory serves, they signed a three year contract at the beginning of the 2011 season. If so, they should be able to walk away at the end of the contract without legal recourse on the FIA's part.

Yeah, I think that's what they mean with the threat.  They can't wait any longer to make a commitment, and they have fulfilled their contract.  Good luck on getting another tire supplier for next March.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
And ex Bridgestone motorsports director is just happens to be present in Monaco Grand Prix.  ;)

http://sutton-images.com/searchresult.asp?folderid=5009&hidefc=1&search=13gp06b&op=1&caption=MONACO%20GRAND%20PRIX%20FRIDAY%20-%20FIA%20Formula%20One%20World%20Championship,%20Rd6,%20Monaco%20Grand%20Prix%20Friday,%20Monte-Carlo,%20Monaco,%2024%20May%202013.&credit=

And I think Pirelli is pressuring FIA to give a verdict of a new contract, so I think there is no point talking FIA able to fine them.

In my opinion Bernie does not like the spotlight of the sports put into Pirelli instead of him. That is why they are pushing Pirelli to pull out of the sports, which makes me sad, because last one and have year has been an awesome experience. I guess Red Bull is trying to pressurize the deal with other supplier, and as there is only one other available option of Bridgestone, Ferrari would not mind having them back, given their records with them before.

If Pirelli leaves the sports, I would give them a standing ovation, will say you are too honest for FIA, FOAM & Bernie's F1 politics which makes you pay for doing your job properly.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »
Isn't all this a bit premature?  I just view it as part of a wider problem involving the teams, Pirelli, the FIA, and Ecclestone over who has the most power in Formula 1.  I think that it's far too soon to say anything more about Pirell's apparent threat, since it could just all be smoke and mirrors.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
This according to Pitpass;
[ftp]http://www.pitpass.com/49114-Pirelli-in-quit-threat[ftp]

It seems that F1 eats tire manufacturers with the big ones walking away for lack of return on investment or being treated poorly.
How long before they are scrambling to find a company that is willing to supply the required tires with all the regulations involved.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:32:37 PM »

Why wouldn't PIRELLI just walk away and laugh at the FIA and say "try to collect a fine".

Because it's a commercial contract enforceable in the French civil courts. If Pirelli break it, they will be liable - it's not exactly as if the FIA changed terms on them. Blaming a third party for the problem (termination through frustration) only works in certain circumstances. Nothing any of the teams has said prevents Pirelli from providing a supply in 2014. It might not be a team-pleasing supply, but Pirelli has not been prevented from supplying tyres that meet the FIA's criteria - and remember the contract is between the FIA and Pirelli, not the teams.

The 12-month requirement, as far as I know, was not removed when the contract system was put in. The FIA is not obliged to give Pirelli the contract. However, Pirelli, having not told the FIA it wishes to leave in the correct timeframe, is obliged to be ready in case it's called upon to do F1 contract again. It implied through its actions it was ready to, at the very least, be the backstop candidate.

So at this point, Pirelli would be wise to shut up and do the tyres for 2014 as contracted, lest they pick up the bad publicity of a major international court case and the resulting fine. Given the lack of information it's had, it would then be perfectly entitled to ditch F1 if the FIA is unhappy with the resulting bands of rubber (assuming said tyres are safe and not delaminating like the tyres from the last 2 races), due to the governing body lacking sufficient precision with its requirements ;)

As for "getting a tyre supplier before March", that would be a doddle if the FIA let go of the need to control the tyres so much. (If they don't, nine years' notice probably won't help them, never mind nine months). Getting a supplier is pretty easy, but the tendering process would need to be done by the end of September or so if the tyres are going to be ready in time for testing in February.

Willy, the FIA had to scramble to get Pirelli for 2011 (other tyre companies considered F1, but demanded to do it on their terms and not the FIA's).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 03:14:18 AM »
 :good: You're always the goods Alia.  :good:
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 05:20:09 AM »
Why should be Pirelli be making 2014 tyres when there is nothing that bounds them to do so? What if FIA chooses not to select Pirelli but someone else? I think the reason for Pirelli's push is justifiable, as without an agreement they would not be investing in building a new compound for the cars that will be a revolution for F1.

How come Pirelli can occur a fine, when they have fulfilled their contract? :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

Kate Walker have this to say, and in certain way, FIA's reluctance to renew Pirelli's contract may be due to such agreement.
http://blogs.espnf1.com/The_Inside_Line/
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Cam

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »
Pirelli are in a very difficult situation.  They have only done what was asked of them and they are getting pilloried, I wouldn't mind betting it is affecting sales and that is not what they have signed up for.

The people doing the pillory-ing are the ones who should take a long hard look at themselves. Red Bull should be charged for bringing the sport into disrepute, because as soon as Dieter Mateschitz and Webber make the sorts of comments they have been making they give a legitimacy to the chattering classes and the talk down spiral's out of control. 

Red Bull are coming of age in F1 at the moment, and it's not pretty, I would love to see someone pinch Adrian Newey and then watch the rest of the house of cards fall over.  Pirelli do not deserve to be treated the way they are being treated at the moment.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »
Why should be Pirelli be making 2014 tyres when there is nothing that bounds them to do so? What if FIA chooses not to select Pirelli but someone else? I think the reason for Pirelli's push is justifiable, as without an agreement they would not be investing in building a new compound for the cars that will be a revolution for F1.

How come Pirelli can occur a fine, when they have fulfilled their contract? :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

Pirelli failing to notify the FIA is what's binding them. If they walk out they'll have broken their contractual obligation (the September 1 thing is not there without reason!) and that's why they'd be fined. The FIA's free to use someone else for 2014, but Pirelli is not free to simply walk out.

If the FIA chooses another team, Pirelli will simply have to throw away any investment they've made which depended on the FIA choosing them. Pirelli is bound to the FIA, but the FIA is by no means bound to Pirelli. It's not a very nice deal, but Pirelli signed it...

Though after their bungle with Mercedes, I think it's a moot point. Pirelli will be lucky if it is permitted anywhere near a 2014 tender for any FIA racing series, let alone F1. If it does get the F1 contract again it'll be because the FIA will have driven away all alternatives.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle