collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 96
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams may switch to Mercedes power for 2014  (Read 983 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Williams may switch to Mercedes power for 2014
« on: May 23, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
Price will be big deciding factor according to Nextgen-Auto.com.

More worrying is the Mercedes line on keeping info away from McLaren next year. Really only sums up why you must be a factory team if you want to be in vanguard with top F1 runners. Although a two tier system should not exist surely this is only serves to prove in reality it does.

Williams could switch to Mercedes power, Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport is reporting.

Currently, the British team is powered by customer Renault engines, but the French marque is reportedly charging EUR 5 million more than its next most-affordable competitor for the turbo V6 units of 2014.

"Williams could change," said correspondent Michael Schmidt, "because the contract is expiring." Caterham is reportedly also concerned about the high quoted price of the 2014 Renault.

Even more engine changes are afoot.

An announcement about Toro Rosso’s switch from Ferrari to Renault is imminent, and Ferrari has already found a replacement — Marussia.

"Announcement soon," said Schmidt.

Meanwhile, a rumour in the Monaco paddock is that Honda could fast-forward its return to formula one from 2015 to 2014.

"Right now this is no more than a rumour," said Schmidt.

But there is great concern at Mercedes about 2014; when McLaren will use Mercedes engines, whilst 2015 partner Honda is at the very same time preparing its V6 design for the following season.

Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda said: "We will give McLaren only the information about our engine that they desperately need."

Nextgen-Auto.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Williams may switch to Mercedes power for 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
I'd bet that Mercedes is concerned about info on their units being transferred to Honda via McLaren.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »
Price will be big deciding factor according to Nextgen-Auto.com.

More worrying is the Mercedes line on keeping info away from McLaren next year. Really only sums up why you must be a factory team if you want to be in vanguard with top F1 runners. Although a two tier system should not exist surely this is only serves to prove in reality it does.

If McLaren's Mercedes engines start behaving badly, surely that would be a black eye for both Mercedes and F1.  If suppliers can't be counted on to be 'neutral', then they can't be counted on at all.

I appreciate that suppliers will always have closer relationships with some customers (or even the factory team) than others, and that closer relationship will always provide an advantage.  That's different from trying to hamstring a customer though.

I presume the engine contract stipulates exactly what is 'desperately needed' information, and McLaren will be sure to get that.

I know that when a customer is switching to another supplier can be a tricky time, but my company will bend over backwards to ensure the customer's last memory is us doing our very best.  Looks like someone is trying to burn the McLaren/Mercedes bridge.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »
Someday Mercedes will realize that Lauda has a big mouth with no filter on it and let him go. That is classically bad PR.  :nono:
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »
With the 2014 engines, the development of the engine will once again come alive. And with testing ban still being implemented it is very crucial for the teams to gather data about their engine performance and their consequent improvement. I think Mercedes people involved in McLaren will be very tentative, with a conscious effort to keep things as much as possible within them, and that will be a hindrance for a team like Mclaren's stature.

I have a feeling McLaren needed a very good season this year, because surely they will struggle next year for sure, and we don't know how that Honda engine will going to be. Their Bahrain's investors being annoyed with their car division loss, it would only mean tough time ahead of this company.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle