collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 122
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The reason behind Bernie's reluctance to change engine  (Read 3135 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

The reason behind Bernie's reluctance to change engine
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:25:23 AM »
Our dear Bernie wanted to act like a motor enthusiast, and keep telling us about how horrible the sound of engine would it going to be, how bad this is for his sports, but for me the reality lies in the fact that due to this changes of engine regulation the teams have to face an excess amount of bill, which will go to the suppliers instead of going into the pocket of CVC and Bernie's himself. Surely this bill would force CVC and Bernie to reduce the amount they take away from the sports itself. And his appointment with Renault definitely says things are running in this way.

I am not a veteran F1 viewer, neither I have ever been able to listen to an F1 engine live, so I don't know exactly how change will implicate in the future, but one thing I surely agree, F1 must move forward, it must set the standard of innovation and creativity through engineering, through its racing heritage. But I also agree the cost is also important factor, so F1 must find a proper balance of these two.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/24/f1-teams-crisis-bill-costs

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Ian

Re: The reason behind Bernie's reluctance to change engine
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »
I've never heard a V10 or V12 live BD but the V8's sounded great live.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
That first one coming out of the tunnel in Monza, eh Ian?  Couldn't just hear it, but damn near pounded the air out of your lungs.   :o
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
You ain't kidding Scott, what an ear shattering sound, pure music that ran right through your body.  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
I've heard V10s and V8s live and both were great. I'm sure the V6s won't sound as bad as is being painted by detractors. It's difficult to make a well-tuned high-performance engine sound rubbish unless it's in a dodgy or broken chassis or the driver's clueless. However, the technology proposed for 2014 has already been overtaken by LMP1 sportscars, so it's not going to be at the cutting edge of anything either - except expense.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:21:07 AM »
The turbo will muffle it to a degree, of course, and a V6 has a deeper, flatter sound. What interests me is the speculation that the new KERS in combination with the "turbo effect" will mean the drivers can't just mash the throttle, but will have to modulate the power coming off the corner to keep from getting sideways. If so, you will be able to see more difference between drivers and DRIVERS if you know what I mean.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
Besides being a fraction of the current size and having giant turbo mufflers, the engines will be hugely rev limited. If anything, they'll sound even worse that the current Indy kittens.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »
But they will have the same power and more torque.  ;)
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
What should be the way F1 should go ahead? Should it be keeping the beautiful buzzing engine, that manufactures are reluctant to build anymore due the different regulation & restriction regarding emission control, or choose to go with the manufacturer's preference where there is no beauty or the charm that revs up the heart of many racing fan? Should it be keeping up with it nostalgia, its legacy or should it bend to the need of the current era?

Being a novice fan of F1, I really don't know the answer, because either way I am happy as because its the racing that is important for me, that people will still push their limits to beat each other.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »
What should be the way F1 should go ahead? Should it be keeping the beautiful buzzing engine, that manufactures are reluctant to build anymore due the different regulation & restriction regarding emission control, or choose to go with the manufacturer's preference where there is no beauty or the charm that revs up the heart of many racing fan? Should it be keeping up with it nostalgia, its legacy or should it bend to the need of the current era?

They should do one of the two options. The 2014 regs do neither.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »
I agree. Go back to the old way of setting one displacement limit for naturally aspirated (unboosted) engines. Set a smaller displacement & intake restriction for boosted engines. Then, let the individual engine suppliers choose their favorite layout.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »
If only they could and would. But if you're going to freeze development to save costs, the engines have to be the same basic spec.  :'(
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 04:05:52 AM »
I always seems to be amused by the fact that there is engine development freeze, which will always end up in the road car, today or tomorrow, but hardly any restrictions in Aero development, which to me is simply wastage of money, as this sort of things will never help the automobile industry.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 12:45:05 PM »
But the whole problem is that the switch to the Politically Correct mini-motors isn't saving money. The extra cost is mega.
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »
But the whole problem is that the switch to the Politically Correct mini-motors isn't saving money. The extra cost is mega.

Introducing something new will be costly initially, but over the time it may show that the initial investment was worthy of it. But I do not agree with the way FIA handled this engine develpment  :nono: :nono:

They let the manufacturer's freely spend on the develpment, and then put it in the shoulder of customer cars to make their ends meet. That is more burden for the smaller teams, who already being stretched for finances, almost all of them are relying on a pay driver for their budget.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle