collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 372
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Views on the Monaco GP  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Alonsofan

Views on the Monaco GP
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »
Thumbs up  :good:

Rosberg - Great win under difficult stop start conditions

Sutil - Loves the place, well done to finish 5th

Raikkonen - (I know he had the crash with Perez) Still did great to get back to 10th and keep his run going. On top of that to threaten to punch Perez in the face is funny, might make him calm down a bit

Thumbs down

Hamilton - Too slow under safety car, cost himself and Mercedes 2nd place

Perez - Pushed his luck one to many times  :fool: :fool:

Grosjean - Even worse, when will he learn??  :fool: :fool: :fool:

Ferd - Was last night too much for you? ;)  Did you fall asleep in the cockpit?  |-(

Massa - :fool:

Sky - Has anyone else noticed that Ferd has won both the live BBC races this year??? Well at least he should be ok in Canada then :D

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Views on the Monaco GP
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »
Utterly disgusted with the race, as it was completely spoilt by the illegal and dishonourable test. Though I'm not convinced that Mercedes was actually at fault for doing the test; it appears it was misled by some combination of Pirelli and the FIA into thinking that sort of behaviour ws allowed. I was also irritated by most drivers leaving their brains at home.

Heroes:

- Force India. Their drivers and their vivacious driving made the race worth persisting with despite the victory being made meaningless.

- Raikkonen. It took a while for him to get going, but his last 10 laps were something to see. Can't help but feel, though, that he was rewarded for Pérez swiping him (by getting new tyres late in), but that was clearly the latter's fault, so the blame for that goes elsewhere.

- Whoever dragged the marshal in the middle of the track during Pic's retrieval out of harm's way. Thank goodness someone had some sense, because I was worried we were going to see F1's first fatality since 2001 about then.

Zeroes (people were queuing for this one):

- FIA/Pirelli. Between them, they've completely changed the course of the championship, by persuading Mercedes that it was OK to do a cheaty test. Severe penalties for both are deserved, but I can't see the FIA giving itself a penalty for its poor behaviour, and it may be too desperate to keep Pirelli sweet to take meaningful action against it.

- Bianchi. Of all the places for a rookie to have a bad hair day, this is the worst. He seemed to be using Maldonado as a second brake (I realise Pastor's done this a few times in the past, but that does not excuse Jules one bit). The BBC crew were a bit harsh on him, but I can see this being the equivalent of Karthikeyan in 2005 - the race his campaign to carve a career in F1 is thwarted by overshadowing by a quiet team-mate and the cumulative consequences of errors.

- Pérez. Driving like the rookie he is not. Using Raikkonen and Button as brakes is not OK.

Dishonourable mentions, in no particular order to (deep breath): the TV directors for missing most of the action (meaning one would have to have watched the highlights to see Raikkonen's good performance), the marshal directors for an uncharacteristic lack of co-ordination, the Safety Car-phobic Charlie Whiting, whichever marshal tried waving drivers round in the middle of the track during Pic's retrieval (dangerous!), Button for moaning, Grosjean for pushing Ricciardo down the hill, whatever caused Massa's maladies, Maldonado for serial crashing, Hamilton for not paying attention when it was time to pit and whoever was controlling the confused Safety Car wave-bys.

Sorry I'm not in a very good mood at the moment. I was in a good one before the highlights show started...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
I obviously have no clue about SC rules, but when the first SC came out, was the leader not Webber?  Nico went in the pits after the SC was called out.  Why was he chosen as leader by the SC?  Kimi was second at the time as well, then I think Vettel and Alonso.

Yeah I don't know about that Pirelli test with Merc.  Obviously it helped Merc immensely.  Nico wasn't challenged the whole race, not even by his teammate in the early stages while Hamilton was behind him.

Sutil was fantastic.  I couldn't imagine one pass at the Leows, much less two by the same guy.  I wondered in chat if Force India gave him a much tighter turn radius than the others had.  He even did his second pass cleanly.

Perez.  One thing to hear Jenson moaning about him, but really, you can't play bumper cars at Monaco.

I complained also about the TV director, but my biggest gripe was about 20 laps in when they showed nothing but Petronas for about 5 minutes.  They cut the split second before Webber would come into the frame every time. 

Massa - wow, sorry for your aches and pains, but really...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
NBC crew says Ferrari also got private test between Bahrain and Spain. It is apparently legal; Pirelli is allowed to nominate any team for a test if there is a safety issue, such as tires delaminating at speed.
Lonny

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 01:26:57 AM »
NBC crew says Ferrari also got private test between Bahrain and Spain. It is apparently legal; Pirelli is allowed to nominate any team for a test if there is a safety issue, such as tires delaminating at speed.

And Ferrari won Spain. This is now getting very, very suspicious. One team winning after doing one of these tests is bad. Two pulling the trick in consecutive races, without the FIA and teams receiving proper notification, is a recipe for disaster.

I am extremely disappointed in Pirelli's behaviour if the NBC report is true. They appear to have decided two races and may end up deciding others if this behaviour is allowed to go unchecked.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:22:13 AM »
Then the only fair thing to do is let each team have
a tire test
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 04:27:09 AM »
Why people keep pointing at Massa as the Villain?  :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

He was never going to be in the points, so he sacrificed( ;) himself for the sports, and fans to bring out Safety car, which definitely spiced things up. Otherwise before that everyone was racing for the tyre Delta, Timed lap and all those stupid things.

Why does the Monaco brings out the worst in Maldonado & Romain? In Maldo's case I think he can be excused as because it was hardly his fault this time,it had more to do with Jules, but in case of Romain  :o
But then again Kimi & Adrian did almost the same, and many have done it before, so we must consider it part of Monaco, should not blame them  :D Honestly these are the charms of Monaco, without these it would have been the most boring race of the season, so please a clap for them.

I am immensely & utterly disgusted at Sky for failing to pick up the charging Kimi, in a race where there is scarcity of overtaking, how come crew miss almost 6 place overtake in last 5 laps  :swoon:
What were you doing? Queuing up for pass for Mercedes party?  |-(

I think Jean Eric Vergne did a fabulous job, he should keep that Cevert themed crash helmet, seems to rejuvenate his driving.

And now I will say something that I thought I will never do it, and that is thanking Bernie for letting Kimi keep the James Hunt helmet,and not abiding by a stupid TV right regulation (which always seemed dubious to me in the first place)

And last but not least thanks to Alia for summing it up very nicely  :good: :good:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »
The whole Pirelli thing seems to hang on Mercedes having used their current car, while Ferrari used a 2011 spec car. The rule Pirelli has invoked apparently allows the testing as long as the test vehicle is at least 2 years old. Merc says they asked the FIA about the test and got the OK directly from the FIA. So, the FIA is seemingly investigating itself along with Mercedes and Pirelli. Some people think this eliminates Pirelli from getting the contract for 2014.
Lonny

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »
F1FanaticBd, in fairness, Monaco's TV director (the only one of the year that isn't FOM) also missed Kimi on the main feed. Snippets of Kimi's charge were shown on the BBC but only because it was a highlights show and able to access footage that the live stations could not do live. This one wasn't Sky's fault, unless it then failed to show Kimi's charge at a later opportunity.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »
Monaco being Monaco means a procession for the most part and qualifying is everything.
2013 showed that there are places to pass if you are either very brave or very stupid.

But...the one thing that bothered me the entire race was James Allen's apparent ignorance of French pronunciation.
He knows how to say the names but every time he said the names of the corners that were obviously French he Anglo-sized them and sounded like the Ugly Tourist.
San Devote is pronounced with a silent "t" but Allen said it with a hard "t" every time.

I know...it's just nitpicking but it took away from the race for me every time he screwed up a name.
This is his job....surely he knows better. Or maybe he's just an idiot!

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 06:50:08 PM »
F1FanaticBd, in fairness, Monaco's TV director (the only one of the year that isn't FOM) also missed Kimi on the main feed. Snippets of Kimi's charge were shown on the BBC but only because it was a highlights show and able to access footage that the live stations could not do live. This one wasn't Sky's fault, unless it then failed to show Kimi's charge at a later opportunity.

Isn't that strange, :DntKnw: :DntKnw: as there was nothing else happening in the race. How come so many people of television crew miss a charging Lotus, while all the other drivers are holding station? :DntKnw: I might have been harsh with Sky, but now I am more critical about the whole TV crew of the race. You job is to pick up the action, film it and send it to us, is that too much to ask for? |-( |-(
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
TV directors are convinced that the average viewer is more interested in the leader than anything else. Unless the lead is enormous that's what they show.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »
I rather enjoyed the extensive radio chatter, showing how much the race a was a chess match, and not really a matter of driver skill.  It was a matter of pushing the buttons the engineers wanted at the right times.

I'm glad not all races are like that, but I did find it fascinating to get a feel for how much of the race is decided by the men and women sitting on stools staring at monitors.

(Don't get me wrong, Monaco is the ultimate test of skill, as Perez, Grojean and Bianchi demonstrated)

As for 'Heroes', I think that Hamilton deserves a mention.  He was very effectively backing up the field to give Rosberg the best chance at winning.  That's some good teamwork, which was spoiled by the safety car/red flag.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 08:20:20 PM »
Like most Monaco races it was pretty boring, incidents aside. TV direction sucked especially towards the end (Kimi's charge completely missed/ignored). Mr. Coulthard said it best in his column for BBC sport here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22678909
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 09:25:48 PM »
Under a Safety Car I was under the assumption that positions were locked until the green flag and racing resumed.
Is this not when Hamilton pitted? And if so how did Red Bull move ahead of him if positions were held?
I appear to be a bit confused.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle