collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 479
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Views on the Monaco GP  (Read 8980 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Views on the Monaco GP
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
The advantage is obvious

You are one of the most knowledgable people I have ever had contact with in racing circles but as an ex-racing driver I still maintain there would have been zero benefit.
With no set-up changes allowed they would have been able to say "tyre type 'A' was really fast but had bad deg., tyre type 'B' was better/worse", etc. but not knowing what compound they were running means they have no additional knowledge to any other team. In my youth (and grief that was a long time ago) I did some 'blind' tyre testing and nobody in the team were any the wiser after the event!
Therefore, the only advantage gained is their drivers now know the track better than anyone else but, since they will not be there for at least another year, this is again of no help to them.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
monty, Mercedes would have known roughly what tyres were being tested (or should have known) through a combination of their telemetry and what was being said before the test about tyres. They knew the 2013 ones could not have a compound change - only a belt change - which means that only certain alterations would have been possible. The 2014 tyres could and almost certainly would involve compound changes because tyre suppliers do that every year, in response to research and the changing needs/wants of their series. Further, it is likely that at some point the current tyre type would have been used for validation purposes (how else would Pirelli know the new belt type was safer than the old one?), which would clearly have behaved the same as in the Barcelona race weekend Mercedes had just done (adjusted by alterations in weather).

It is known that Rosberg drove differently in Monaco to earlier races, particularly in the early phase of the race. Specifically, he drove much slower in the early phases of the race than the team was doing hitherto. When it is more likely he would have discovered this: in 80-100 laps of practise/qualifying with alternate goals and traffic, or 214 laps in a three-day exclusive test specifically to test tyre performance? Practising such a technique would be impossible to ban in such a test, unless every team is going to be obliged to use robots as testers. (This is vaguely related to why in-season test bans hurt drivers - especially developing drivers - more than teams. It's easier for a driver to improve their performance without knowing all relevant parameters than it is to improve a car).

My guess is that your blind tyre test was in a situation where your tyre supplier had rather more freedom to experiment with tyres and was in pursuit of a variety of goals (not just safety and compliance with series needs/wants, but grip, endurance, wear patterns...) Therefore the contextual cues that Mercedes could and should have used were absent for your test. No wonder your team struggled to get any useful data for its own purposes, when the tyre company provided so few clues compared to Pirelli in the last few weeks.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 01:50:43 PM »
Alia, we will obviously have to 'agree to disagree'. However, I am 100% certain that Mercedes would not have gained any advantage from this tyre test. Even trying to make educated guesses about what compound or construction they were running they could not have learnt anything useful. Even if they correctly guessed someting about the compounds they were not allowed to adjust their set-up so they could not understand what changes were required to the car to make the most of the tyre.
You seem to have convinced yourself that this tyre test dramatically altered the result at Monaco. Believe me, even a fully informed tyre test would not make dramatic changes to future events unless, during the test, you have the opportunity to change set-up to suit the tyre.
Of course the two Mercedes drivers approached Monaco differently to other races. They were fast during qualifying (as usual) got pole and second place and knew that it would be almost impossible for anyone to overtake them. It was therefore logical to drive at the slowest pace possible especially while on high fuel loads.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle