collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 507
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Should FIA put brakes on tyre critisisms by teams?  (Read 4878 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Should FIA put brakes on tyre critisisms by teams?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 12:36:05 AM »

Given Pirelli's behaviour with the Mercedes test, the only way to decontaminate the 2014 championship would be to expel Pirelli from the championship (2013 is already fatally compromised).

I would like to differ here Alianora, because I believe Pirelli did nothing wrong while testing tyre with a manufacturer, which they are allowed to ask and conduct. And they kept all the information gathered from the test within themselves. If anybody is the guilty party in this saga, its Mercedes, as they have used a current spec car, which is not legal

Hey you've been having lunch with Bernie again BD.  :P   :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »
I have already suggested that Alia and I will have to agree to disagree but I still cannot understand why this situation has caused such strong opinions.
Mercedes would have got zero competitive advantage from the 'test' (unless you think that Lewis would sharpen his talents by getting another 1000km in the car - which I doubt).
Pirelli were getting hammered by the press, the pundits, the teams and the fans and therefore had to do something to understand the tyres if they were going to complete 2013 and move on to 2014.
All in all, it was a sensible, pragmantic and opportune method of assessing  the future of Pirelli tyres. As for the notion that it was 'secret' well that is just a joke. There would have been a large number of people still at the track (other teams, track officials, safety staff, tyre technicians, etc., etc.) and at least some of these would be directly or indirectly connected with the FIA.
This simply would not have been a problem if Red Bull had not registered a complaint.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »
I have already suggested that Alia and I will have to agree to disagree but I still cannot understand why this situation has caused such strong opinions.
Mercedes would have got zero competitive advantage from the 'test' (unless you think that Lewis would sharpen his talents by getting another 1000km in the car - which I doubt).
Pirelli were getting hammered by the press, the pundits, the teams and the fans and therefore had to do something to understand the tyres if they were going to complete 2013 and move on to 2014.
All in all, it was a sensible, pragmantic and opportune method of assessing  the future of Pirelli tyres. As for the notion that it was 'secret' well that is just a joke. There would have been a large number of people still at the track (other teams, track officials, safety staff, tyre technicians, etc., etc.) and at least some of these would be directly or indirectly connected with the FIA.
This simply would not have been a problem if Red Bull had not registered a complaint.

While I agree with you Monty, I do understand why Ali and others would have a problem with what's going on.

F1 is a multibillion dollar sport. If at any time it appears that one team is given an advantage that other teams are not afforded, it takes the 'sport' element out of it.  IF the FIA doesn't take fair play seriously, they run a very serious risk of losing sports fans.  Why watch a sport if you know it's rigged?

What the FIA, Bernie, Mercedes and Pirelli are banking on is that while F1 is a sport, the multibillion dollar part is an ENTERTAINMENT business.  They hope that fans don't show up just to see who wins, but rather to hear the roar of the engines, the excitement of a pass, the unpredictable nature of drivers doing a live interview on the podium.  If soccer/football can survive flagrant diving without penalising anyone, then surely F1 can survive an illicit tire test without anything more than a warning.

They could very well be wrong, and I would hate to lose any of the friends I have here over this issue, but I can appreciate why a true sporting fan would be ticked about the whole thing.

For me, I just want to see the next race.

Offline Ian

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »
You ain't gonna lose any friends on here over having an opinion Jeri, our site thrives on opinions, keep it up Jeri.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 05:14:44 AM »
Yeah. If Cossie and me can have extremely opposite views on Tony and still be friendly no one should have a problem.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »
That's true, Jeri. We're all here because of our love of F1. We even let in Ferrari fans.  ;)

As far as the tire test, I still suspect that we (the fans) still aren't getting the entire story. I wonder what was said between Merc, Pirelli and Charlie Whiting prior to the test.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
You ain't gonna lose any friends on here over having an opinion Jeri, our site thrives on opinions, keep it up Jeri.  :good:

Sorry, I don't mean losing friends from my opinions (if that were the case, I'd have lost you all long ago!), I mean that if anyone decides F1 is a farce and stops following the sport entirely.  I'd hate to lose those friends here, though I'd understand why.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 04:17:43 AM »
I think most people are making too much of this. Pirelli said clearly that they needed to test with a current car because the cars had advanced too much in 2 years for the data from the test car to be completely relevant. They made the offer to at least 2 teams, and don't try to convince me that Red Bull declined because they're such good sports, they just didn't see any advantage to be gained. Unless Mercedes goes on a tear here, I doubt they made much gain either. They finished about where you would have expected them to in Canada. And the FIA was informed, Charlie Whiting admitted as much, if he failed to follow up with the proper observers that's Charlie's fault. I think Pirelli's tire choices for the next few races indicate they have given up on the goal of high wear making the racing more interesting. Unless I'm way off, you are about to see a string of Vettel wins which will lock up the championship early.  :DntKnw: As long as we are making the competition interesting in what is becoming a spec series, how about every winner has to carry 20 extra kilos of weight for the rest of the season. Bogging Seb down with an extra 100 kilos should make the WDC much more interesting.  :tease:
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2013, 05:51:48 PM »

Given Pirelli's behaviour with the Mercedes test, the only way to decontaminate the 2014 championship would be to expel Pirelli from the championship (2013 is already fatally compromised).

I would like to differ here Alianora, because I believe Pirelli did nothing wrong while testing tyre with a manufacturer, which they are allowed to ask and conduct. And they kept all the information gathered from the test within themselves. If anybody is the guilty party in this saga, its Mercedes, as they have used a current spec car, which is not legal

Hey you've been having lunch with Bernie again BD.  :P   :D
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle