collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 362
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber to leave Red Bull  (Read 3899 times)

vintly

Webber to leave Red Bull
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:04:23 AM »
So it's official. I don't blame him, seven races in and he's been beaten by Seb in every quali and every race. Can't be much fun. Good luck to him. Article says Raikkonen is most likely candidate to fill the seat, I sure hope so! That will really test Vettel, and keep Red Bull right at the top for many years to come  :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23074108

Offline Irisado

Re: Webber to leave Red Bull
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »
I was just reading that article before I logged in.

I'm surprised by the timing.  I thought that he would do one more season, but I don't blame him for taking this decision either.  I'd imagine he's had more than enough of the Vettel/Marko axis, and wants out.  He probably didn't feel like driving a team lower down the grid, so it makes sense for him to go.  I'll miss him, because he was always prepared to speak his mind about Vettel :D.

This opens the door for a Raikkonen move.  I think that will depend on how competitive Lotus is for the rest of the season.  If they tail off, then I think that Kimi might be keen to switch.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »
A tad bit sad, but what else he could have done. Since 2009 he has been regarded as the point sweeper of Red Bull while Marko's self-proclaimed prodigious whinner collected all the accolades, back-stabbed him time after time, used him to decoy their championship contender, and eventually ruined his own chance, consistently made cars that never suited him and the final piece of nail in the coffin, the Multi-21 fiasco, where the Blondie-whinner flew past him when the guards were down, and get away with it, as he is too precious for the team to take any action.

I think all his F1 career, Mark has been unlucky, not to achieve things he could have, he should have, seems like the lady luck desserted him at the penultimate stage, just in the final hurdle. He might have won a few Grand Prix compared to other people of his generation, but he has won million's people's heart, he will be greatly missed for sure.

Have anybody realised there is a pool of former F1 driver accumulating in WEC?
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

vintly

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »
I don't think Mark's underachieved in F1. Not a TOP top driver, but in the best car - puts him between 3rd and 5th at the end of the year. Not bad, but if it wasn't Vettel beating him up it would have been someone else. Good luck, nice Aussie chap.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
Very sad to see him go. He's my favorite current driver. I would have loved to see him go to another top team and kick Seb's backside.

F1 is looking increasingly bleak for next season. No Webber, no Cosworth, Vettel becoming a spoiled brat and the whimpering little mini motors.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »
To be honest I was never really a fan of Webber's.

I can certainly see why others have enjoyed his time in F1, and I've tried to like him, but I just got the feeling he never really fit into F1.  He was too busy being his own man.  Maybe in another era he'd have fit in perfectly.

For me, the last straw with Webber was when he covered up his sports injuries.  If he can't trust the team, not sure how he expects the team to trust him.

With that said... he is a fantastic athlete in all aspects:  he is talented, he competes hard, he's willing to make sacrifices, and he's willing to say what he believes needs to be said.  What more can you expect from a top F1 driver?

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 05:38:19 PM »
No surprise there.  I liked Mark, but more out of the car than in it.  I don't think he wanted to leave like Rubens did, and he had nothing more to prove. Didn't make WDC, but he won a bunch of races, and I guess winning Monaco is the cream of them all.  Plenty of drivers run an F1 career without even a race win, so he can be proud - and his Minardi 5th place in Australia is also a wonderful memory. 

If Kimi goes to RBR, it will be SOOOO much fun to watch.  I hope he does.  Still a RBR fan, and to have my man Kimi there - well, 'nough said.
 :good: :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
I think the time is right for Mark. Why move down to a lesser team?
He has achieved a lot in F1 and is a solid driver but always seemed to just not quite reach the heights he could, or maybe even should have.

As for a possible replacement, I seriously hope they do get a driver of the calibre of Kimi. It would finally prove Vettel is not all that he thinks he is cracked up to be.

VINTLY DON'T READ THIS PART....

Mark if your reading this, please, please, please, before you go, take Vettel out on your last race just to get your own back :D  :yahoo:
If you do you will go down as the (second) greatest of all time in my opinion ;)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »
I wouldn't go so far as to suggest Mark take Vettel out, but if he does find himself in front of Vettel at any time during the rest of the season, I sure hope he makes the back end of his car at least as wide as the track.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

Webber to leave Red Bull
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
Heheh Seb'll just drive over him.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
Heheh Seb'll just drive over him.

How can he drive over him if he doesn't have any wheels left on his car mwahahahaha

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
As much as I'd like to see Kimi get the seat, I think it will be Vergne or Ricciardo. It will leave no doubt how will be the #1 driver.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »
What I'd love Mark to do is if Vettel has to pass him for some reason to win the title in one of the closing races, I'd love Mark to ignore the radio instruction, and say afterwards that his radio wasn't working ;).
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 09:40:20 PM »
Good things seldoms happens, so Mark doing a proper farewell of putting SebVet into the wall will not be happenning  :'(  :'(

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
You are right BD, Mark wouldn't do it, but oh my, wouldn't  it be good, as long as noone was hurt.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle