collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 513
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Race Frequency  (Read 3400 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Race Frequency
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
I think that, if Bernie wants to add his money races of in places where nobody cares about F1, they need to be extra races. They shouldn't be substitutes for real tracks with lots of fans. Therefor, there needs to be more races.

BTW, there is a reason why they can't change the date of the Shanghai race. They took a poll of all the F1 fans in China who attend the race. They both said it was the only week-end they had off.

Over here, most local tracks race every week. Since there are several tracks in any given area, most local team race three times a week-end. For a number of years, we'd race on Friday nights at Lancaster, Saturday nights at Muskingum County and Sunday afternoons at Moxahala or Atomic. And this was with an all volunteer crew. That's just the way it is with grass roots racing.

Some of us older fans can remember when there were only 10 to 12 points races a season. This is much better. Still, I think that they could do 25-30 without much of a strain.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
Some of us older fans can remember when there were only 10 to 12 points races a season. This is much better. Still, I think that they could do 25-30 without much of a strain.

I'm not really too concerned about the total number of races.  After all, NFL teams play upto 20 games a season and team owners are rolling in money.

Too much more, and I'd find it harder to watch them all.  As it is, I find myself missing most races live.

It's the gap between races that gets me.  Even I can find my attention wandering from F1 if there isn't a race for too long.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
Indy Car's double weekends have been very successful. Total weekend ticket sales are up from Saturday practice, Sunday race weekends. They are considering more of the same.

Out of interest: would this be in place of or in addition to (some of) the single-race venues?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »
Could go either way. A few tracks are interested because it generates more revenue at almost no cost. The teams are less happy because it shortens practice time. This gives the bigger teams an advantage because they can test more set ups in a short time by spreading it out over several cars. Possibly a reason why Andretti has done so well this year; they all say cooperation and info sharing is top priority this season.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »
Indy Car's double weekends have been very successful. Total weekend ticket sales are up from Saturday practice, Sunday race weekends. They are considering more of the same.

Out of interest: would this be in place of or in addition to (some of) the single-race venues?

Twofold:  to get the race count up to replace tracks that aren't being used any more.

Also to boost interest at events with flagging attendance. 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »
I wish they would come back to Phoenix. For a short time they had a weekend that included Sprint cars, Midgets (tons of fun four abreast racing) and Indycars. It was great.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 05:37:04 PM »
I wish they would come back to Phoenix. For a short time they had a weekend that included Sprint cars, Midgets (tons of fun four abreast racing) and Indycars. It was great.

It's my understanding they also had ostrich racing... which actually outdrew the F1 race...

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 11:01:59 PM »

Twofold:  to get the race count up to replace tracks that aren't being used any more.

Also to boost interest at events with flagging attendance.

So a combination of both. If those are the reasons, I can't see the schedule going up by much... ...but the trend appears to be slightly upwards, rather than static.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »
Comparisons with race schedules in the United States don't carry much weight in my opinion.  While the US is certainly large, there's a big difference between travelling around one country to hold a racing series, than there is across countries, and across the globe.

The drivers may well be able to cope with an increased race schedule, but what about all those behind the scenes who we rarely see?  The mechanics, and those who work long hours back at the factory, and often end up having to do rush development jobs?  These people need that summer break, otherwise they will just burn out.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 04:32:13 AM »
The NASCAR teams often have to repair or develop their cars on a week to week basis. And they have 4 or 5 cars to set up and maintain for each driver.
Lonny

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »
NASCAR teams have multiple race crews, something strictly forbidden to F1 teams due to cost-cutting. That's how they manage to put cars out every week.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 03:52:37 AM »
If by Race Team, you mean the crew who actually go to the race, there is only 1. There are prep crews that do car prep at the shop, but I'm betting F1 has those too. Someone must be operating those 3D printers.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
Lonny's right. The main difference in NASCAR is that each car has it's own pit crew.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »
Fair enough. Looks like I misremembered that one - sorry!

(One crew per car would require double the staff, but working 2 cars instead of 1 is likely easier for a staff member than working, say, 24 races instead of 12. Which dents my point somewhat...)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle