collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 352
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Race Frequency  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Willy

Race Frequency
« on: July 15, 2013, 02:31:00 AM »
Is it just me or does it appear that the time between races this season seems to be longer then usual.
There seems to be more then the normal 2 week breaks between races happening way to often.
 :nono: :nono:

Online Jericoke

Re: Race Frequency
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »
Yeah, it's kind of hard to get into the rhythm of the season.

Wish someone would use the time to run illegal tests, just to give us something to talk about  >:D

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »
Tell me about it people,when I had an exam, I have to skip almost one British GP & Half of German GP in just a space of one week, and now I have tons of time to spare, and all I have is young driver's test  :fool: :fool:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
The summer break was designed to give team personnel, particularly those back at the factory, a rest.  I think that it's a good idea myself.

In view of how crowded the calendar is, I feel that the spacing is just about right.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

vintly

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »
There was supposed to be a race this coming weekend, but it failed to get scheduled pre-season:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/08/f1-confirm-19-race-season-after-european-host-could-not-be-found-3533440/

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »
The summer break was designed to give team personnel, particularly those back at the factory, a rest.  I think that it's a good idea myself.

In view of how crowded the calendar is, I feel that the spacing is just about right.

Crowded?  NASCAR races 67 weekends a year.

Indycar has started doing TWO full point races in a single weekend.

Baseball teams play every day.  Hockey and basketball teams play three times a week.  Canadian and American football teams even play once a week.

The possibility of being forgotten in a world of 24 hour sports news is something that Bernie must consider if his pyramid scheme is to continue growing.

I guess the smart thing to do is take the F1 calander and plan my own vacations around that...

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
Crowded?  NASCAR races 67 weekends a year.

Indycar has started doing TWO full point races in a single weekend.

Baseball teams play every day.  Hockey and basketball teams play three times a week.  Canadian and American football teams even play once a week.

The possibility of being forgotten in a world of 24 hour sports news is something that Bernie must consider if his pyramid scheme is to continue growing.

I guess the smart thing to do is take the F1 calander and plan my own vacations around that...

Thank you for saying that Jeri.  Cry me a river about drivers and teams wanting time off in the summer.

In spring, summer and fall, I work very often 3-4 weeks without any day off, and mostly 10-12hr days.  Have a wife and kids.  We manage.  Find time in the off-season for stuff.  I couldn't give a toss about hearing about anybody connected with F1 needing time off.   

F1 is top tier professional sport.  If you don't like the hours, don't apply. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »
Scott, I couldn't agree more.
There is no reason the teams require all this time off during the months when the weather is optimal for races in the Northern Hemisphere.
As Jeri mentioned, Bernie needs to pay more attention how fast people will become focused on other things after a week or two with no F1 race to grab their attention.
Formula One may be the so called pinnacle of racing but with the varied other forms of auto racing available to watch on TV or online, it had better be good and frequent.

vintly

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »
Thank god for the Ashes. That's Eng v Aus Test cricket to the uninitiated.  That means two innings each over five days - oh never mind.  :D

I completely agree about the season not being crowded, but I also think 20 races a year is just about ok, in this day and age. I'd love to see 25+, with races going into the southern hemisphere for the winter. However, for me at least, compared to F1 the other forms of auto racing aren't of interest. I can watch rally, but watching sports cars on track doesn't do it for me. Maybe because I've never owned a performance car...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »

I think the problem for F1 to have more races in the season is a cost one, they won't get paid anymore by Bernie but will have considerably increased costs once they get past 20 races, they say they'll need two separate race crews.

The sport is governed by European legislation who have imposed the infamous working time directive on the European community. Even if all the personnel of race teams sign to exempt themselves from the main thrust of the directive there are still rules that will restrict the teams forcing people to work excessively long periods without breaks. Also the Human rights laws in Europe mean the courts fiercely uphold an individuals right to a family life, can't see the FIA wanting a lowly mechanic, or pit lane tea boy  ;), taking then to the law courts.  :D

Not sure if Bernie's contracts with TV allow him to charge a whole lot more if the race calendar increases, so he will probably argue that he cannot provide more funds for teams to run two separate race weekend crews, which is what it'll take for more than 20 races.

So in essence more races will generate more income to Bernie from race hosting fees but the teams will likely see none of it, that's why the teams haven't agreed to more than 20 in a season.

However the rumour is that the new Concorde agreement, when in place will allow for majority voting on crucial F1 decisions, maybe crafty old Bernard will get his 24 or more races in another year or two.  ::)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 06:33:05 PM »
There is only one reason that there isn't enough money for the teams to paint the walls in gold and hire as many people as they like to run even 50 races a year. 

Bernie - he takes most of it.

Online Dare

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 01:30:01 AM »
Isn't this the 2nd 3 week in between races we've had
this year?With Vettel looking like he's running away
with another WDC it's hard to stay excited with F1 for
me.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 02:17:34 AM »
Part of the reason for the strange break pattern is because Bernie didn't plan it properly. There is, however, some rhyme and reason to the way events played out, and most odd gaps have at least semi-logical reasons for their shape. For all gaps that are not 2 weeks (the normal gap between races):

Australia-Malaysia (1 week): Most staff want to spend as little time in Malaysia as possible due to heat, and the expediters know Malaysia is expensive. Besides, the teams have often spent an age enjoying Australia, and at this point in the season are quite happy to do the rushing about through airports a back-to-back fly-away pair entails.

Malaysia-China (3 weeks): China basically got itself a guaranteed calender spot when it moved from autumn back in the mid-2000s. Not as solid as Monaco's, but Bernie would need a pretty good excuse to move it before the expiry date of the current contract - which I think is 2021. If Malaysia had been 2 weeks after Australia, this would have made more sense, but the expediters prefer to have one "rusharound" pair and one "decent stay at home" pair rather than two "just home long enough to say hi". And as you will see, Bahrain has similar status to China except for a shorter contract.

China-Bahrain (1 week): Bahrain has a "soft special date" race too, thanks to the post-2011 kerfuffle. Pretty sure their contract expires in 2016, and in any case it's being seriously considered for promotion to first race of the season in 2014.

Bahrain-Spain (3 weeks): European season traditionally starts in early May because the last thing F1 wants when it shows up there is to to have frost-related delays.

Canada-Britain (3 weeks): There was supposed to be a New Jersey Grand Prix 2 weeks after Canada, but it didn't happen.

Britain-Germany (1 week): These races are close to one another and would look easy after rushing from New Jersey to Silverstone in only one week. Though given the gap at the other side, there doesn't seem much sense putting Germany when it was.

Germany-Hungary (3 weeks): Not sure what the deal is with Hungary, but it's been the last week of July since it started hosting F1 races back in 1986. No reason to suppose this will ever change. This gap was most likely to make room for the Young Driver Test to be mid-season instead of post-season

Hungary-Belgium (4 weeks): The "summer break" was instituted back in 2003 so the mechanics could get a break (remember they've been zipping all over the world in economy class seats since March - and there was a notable amount of ill-health amongst them in the early 2000s).

While improved fitness and more "gappy" scheduling has reduced the need from a mechanic health perspective, the Resource Restriction Agreement created a new reason for it. The gap is so big that no team feels it misses out too much from a requirement to not use their factory facilities during 2 of the 4 weeks. As this is one of the few cost-cuts the teams will actually agree to do, the FIA and FOM fall over themselves to ensure the gap is there for the teams to use that way.

Korea-Japan (1 week): Close together, and there are no motorhomes to lug around.

India-Abu Dhabi (1 week): Ditto.

United States-Brazil (1 week): Not close together, but by this point I think everyone in the paddock wants the thing over and done...

There is no way I would watch a 67-race season; I've got too many other things to do with my year to spend that many days devoted to just one series. NASCAR fans are impressive in their dedication, but I'm not convinced F1's main fanbase could be convinced to do so. Sports have to plan their events based on when their fans wish to be available to see them, so different series and different sports can be expected to pattern differently, in accordance with exactly who watches them.

Indycars had to double the races in some venues because a bunch of race venues it was counting on fell through - it's about the same total number of races as they'd originally planned for this year, just in different places (and there's less travel than planned, so stress is reduced).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:23:04 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 04:14:33 AM »
Indy Car's double weekends have been very successful. Total weekend ticket sales are up from Saturday practice, Sunday race weekends. They are considering more of the same.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 08:10:46 AM »
There is no way I would watch a 67-race season; I've got too many other things to do with my year to spend that many days devoted to just one series.

Me either Ali, but I think 25 or so would keep more fans from wandering off to a different sport that has more regularity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle